Amp suggestion for 2 Eclipse SW9102's

Username: Bertokamus

Post Number: 1
Hi all-

New to the board, here... I realize there are about a million posts for amp suggestions here, but I see some experiences users present and I'd value input from anybody/everybody, please!

I've got a pair of Eclipse SW9102's I'm presently driving with a pair of Infinity Beta Digital 300's but I've nearly killed one of the Beta Digitals, and am now forced to upgrade.

The Eclipses are Dual Voice Coil, 4ohm+4ohm each, rated at 750 RMS / 1500 Peak each.

I'm open to 2-ch amps, Mono amps, single amps, a pair of amps, you name it.

Price isn't a real constraint, I'm open to higher-end stuff, and would consider it. Also, I'd like to use an amp or amps that'd be running well below capacity- I don't want to push my amps' capabilities anymore, I want to push the speakers'. If I put together a setup that'd equate to 1000 Watts RMS each speaker, it wouldn't bother me- I'd almost prefer it.

the12volt.com suggests either "Option 1, parallel/parallel = 1 Ohm load" or "Option 2, series/parallel = 4 ohm load", but I don't know what kind of wattage I'd need to look for in a 1 Ohm mono amp for Option 1, or a 4/2/1 Ohm mono amp for Option 2.

Suggestions all around would be greatly appreciated, and THANKS! in advance...

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1345
don't know your budget, but a pair of kicker 750.1 amps would work nicely.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 374
get 2 jl 1000/1's it doesnt matter if you hook them up to 1 ohm 2 ohm or 4 ohm it will still put out 1000 watts

Post Number: 2
ALSO! I'd be interested in amps higher than Class D, especially if they could make a difference, quality OR heat-wise. (I'm thinking like AB, or T, here...)

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1871
what you need is a 1500-1800w rms amp at 1 ohm, Mono and class D(more efficient for subs)

that would be the cheapest thing you can do instead of getting many amps.

plus read about amp classes...

www.wickedcases.com

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1106
actually the eclipse ti's are rated per voice coil, so you need more like 3000 watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1899
yeah, that's true hehe, you're going to need a 3000w rms amp at 1 ohm hehe, do you have HO alt, yellow tops, big 3 upgrade????

Post Number: 4
Ah- I don't know about that "rated per voice coil" business- NOTHING implies that, whatsoever, on Eclipse's site... Not to mention that in another (what I consider to be a potentially more reputable) forum (the12volt.com) numerous people failed to suggest any such specification as that. (Including professional installers, etc)

You can check out what this same thread has done, here, before anyone goes flaming me: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=81732&PN=1&TPN=2

Also, you can check out the specs for this sub on Eclipse's site, here: http://www.eclipse-web.com/sw9100/sw9102.html

Just throwing my 2 cents back out there, fellas. And to answer juliob- Yes. I've got a 200amp HO alt in production (going on a 350 V8), I've more than doubled the big 3, and I'm running a pair of yellow tops on an isolator.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1942
ok mr bertokamus, but lucas is saying the truth cuz he used to own them... they say 750w rms per voice coil... so they're 1500w rms per sub.

Post Number: 5
First, albeit not necessarily "foremost," it's simply "Bertokamus." You can dispel with the "Mr" title- you're too kind. :-)

Now, on the power rating- I'm not entirely averse to buying that, it's just that it's awfully hard for me to swallow without seeing it documented, somewhere... I'll grant you that because the Ti's are F'ing tanks they might be able to HANDLE 750w per voice coil, y'know, but I just can't find anything to the contrary that says they're *designed* for 750w per voice coil.

I mean, when you state, "they say 750w rms per voice coil," who is this mythical "they," (other than Lucas), and where are you seeing this? I'm so curious because on the Eclipse site, if you read the embedded specs table on the right, below the picture- it's all-encompassing of the SUB, not the voice coils... And it states 750W RMS Power Handling, and 1500W Max Power Handling.

Truthfully, this isn't an "I'm right and want to prove you wrong" type thing- it's almost a "Are you right? Please- prove me wrong, I'd like to know if I am" type thing. Thassall!

If these monsters can handle an Eclipse DA7232 EACH as opposed to an Eclipse DA7232 per PAIR, I'd be interested in hearing just how it's documentedly possible. (Not like I'm actually going to drop another chunk of change on another DA7232, but it'd be cool to know- lol)

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1107
I know it sounds wierd and I've never heard of any other manufacturer doing this, but I called Eclipse and they told me that its rated per voice coil. I think that they made a mistake somewhere when they label the driver and are covering it up by saying its rated per voice coil. Any way call them and ask for yourself if you dont believe me.

Silver Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 596
i heard it was just a myth

Gold Member

Post Number: 1954
ninja has 2 of them and hes pushing them real nice with a 2000w + amp and he told us that he could push them harder cuz they're rated per coil...

weird fact but true...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us