Port area and port volume.

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

IA US

Post Number: 1177
My new box is 2.92 cu feet after sub displacement. i want to do aero ported. i was gunna do 2 4" ports, that are close to 9 inches long (i got it tuned to 33).

do i need a certain port area? if i get 1 tube it will be like 12.56 sq in of port area, if get 2 it will be like 25 sq in. i thought 25 sq. in would be enough, but im not sure.

the 2 tubes will be 226 cu inches of port volume.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4550
lol.:-)

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1179
bump

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8837
well let me share my experience wit pipe porting even tho its not exactly the same as aero

when i had each type R ported with 1 3" pipe port IMO the bass was more natural & balanced (SQL) but when i ported the same box with 2 3" pipes (every other thing remained the same) immediately i noticed bassline was more aggressive & boomy with less volume (good 4 competition but IMO as a daily driver it was kinda harsh 4 daily driving).

So u have 2 now have 2 pick how natural or aggressive u would like ur bass if pipe/aero porting.......

Bronze Member
Username: Mendonmafia

Mendon, Ny Usa

Post Number: 43
well thats cuz u changed your tuning frequency by adding another port of the same length and diameter. if you wanted to keed the same frequency then you would have had to increase the length of both ports. ut left the diameter the same for each.

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1180
well does anyone know if i need a certain port area (or opening) of the port??? ?????

one tube will be like 12.5 sq inches, and 2 tubes will be 25 sq inches.

by the way, when u use psp calculator, when u put everything the same but put one port, its says like 8 for length. then you put 2 ports, and it says like 20 for length. im supposed to divide be 2, and make 2 10" tubes if i get two of them??

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8842
Mark - i did not do what u said , c'mon man im not that daft & i dont do stuff by guesswork

when i added a 2nd pipe i recalculated every detail ......

Bronze Member

Mendon, Ny Usa

Post Number: 49
o sry man the way you posted it made it seem like u just poped in another port cuz if thats all you did then that would deffinately change the sound. Im sry i wasnt trying to make you look dumb. but i wonder why adding 2 ports vs 1 at the same tuning would change the sound. Ive never actually tried it and prob wont cuz i dont want to mes with my box but still that seems werid to me.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4752
steven.....given the size of your box, i think you are better off with one port than two. one port would definately give you better sq. besides the ssi's don't like too much port area.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8845
Mark - no harm dude ...

"""but i wonder why adding 2 ports vs 1 at the same tuning would change the sound"""

well just like u i too was wondering so thats y i decided 2 try it myself rather than just read words online - u gotta experiment with stuff but now i know from my own experience

well even tho it is same freq its more port area meaning more air being moved so thats the answer.......

Bronze Member

Mendon, Ny Usa

Post Number: 55
yea i guess but wht if you had 1 driver and up graded to 2 and wanted to put them in the same box of double volume. would you only use the origional port or would you have to use 2 of the origional ports to get the same tuning fq? or should 1 larger port be used for both to have a smaller over all area than 2 origional ports.

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1183
adding a second port does nothing.

once you have enough port area for your sub, it wont gain any db, or change sound (at the same tuning) when you add anotehr port. if you added a second port and it sounded different, that most likely means that 1 tube didnt have enough port area.

because once you have ENOUGH port area, adding more port area isnt going to do anything, (unless you add A TONNN more port area). the point of having more than one port is to eliminate port noise, by having ENOUGH port area.

so i am wondering if 1 tube (12.5 sq in. port area) is enough port area, to elimanate the port noise.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8846
so ^^^ what i posted u totally wrote it off

according 2 u then all these ppl with 2 & 4 ports/sub r apparently so wrong

have u tried this ur self instead of just talking about theory u read about online ?

thats y i prefer 2 try stuff out myself & not just accept everything i read ......

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1186
haha actually i read none of it online. its just common sense. more port area or port volume, doesnt add db, like you told me before. you said that an aero port at the same tuning, and same eveything, is not as loud as a slot. and then u said "at least not in my car." ya that makes no sense ata ll.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8848
whatever man - get up from behind ur pc & go actually do it in real life like i have & then come back here & honestly type what u found out .....

Silver Member
Username: Jcash

Post Number: 115
dont you just love it when they ask for advise and then they say youre wrong when their the one asking the questions...... LOL dont take him seriously rovin dont even waste your time.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4571
more port area does make it louder. lol

if you have a 5 cube box that is tuned to 40hz with 25sq.in. of port area.

and a 5 cube box tuned to 40hz with 80sq.in. of port area....the one with more port area is definitely going to be louder.:-)

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1187
its funny muddy ur saying that, cause ur the one i talked to. once u have enough, it wont get louder. i kept saying that and you were agreeing the WHOLE TIME. dont even lie. what did u go talk to someone or look it up, and now u cahnged u mind. omg. lol.

jcash, take yourself and your shitty sony xplods, and go kill yourself. btw, after my last 2 posts, i didnt answer my own question you idiot. learn how to read. i was still asking if there was a rule like 8 sq in. or port per cu foot or not.

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1188
haha its funny jcash, that if i was the one with 8000 posts, and roving had 1100, you would be agreeing with me, saying rovin isnt worth the time. haha your such a fu*Cking suck up. lol noob. go to bcae1.com and maybe learn something

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 78
yo take it easy theres no need to argue we just need an expert or some actual results. so who wants to man up and get the spl meter out and test it?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 86
I recieved this Email from the head engineer of Digital Design i hope this clears everything up. After 20 years of research on our part, our dealers and users part, we have narrowed it down to a rather simple formula for great results. These results were based on IN-CAR testing with every sort of vehicle on our roads. With our formula of 16 square inches of vent per net cubic foot of enclosure volume the port length of 16" gave us a round about 40Hz tuning which seemed to be the best all around enclosure tuning frequency. This does not go to say that tuning to 35Hz using our area formula will end with disastrous effects. You simply extend the port but keep the area to keep efficiency high and keep from overdriving your vent. There is a ratio of 1:3 that is something you want to keep close to when dealing with our enclosure volume chart. Port being 1:3 with the driver area. If you stay in that neighborhood, even applying high power will prove hard to overdrive the vent.

Im not sure if this means you can go bigger than 1:3 or not but ill get back to you and let you know what he says.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4590
no i said too little...and it won't be very loud.

too much and the sub will bottom out.

enough is a very vague word, and i used it b/c i don't know what ENOUGH is for every driver.

dont get so bent out of shape all the time man.

mendon mafia, that is what i go by:-) lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4591
my point to you is What Is Enough? do you know? i don't

the only way to truly know is to test it.
and that result will change if you changed the amount of power as well. so i don't know what enough is for every sub out there.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4775
steven....it appears that you already know the answer to this thread and yet you start one to see what people will post. (i am not saying you are right.) and then you shoot down people's ideas. my question is why? you think everyone here is some car audio salesman at best buy or circuit city you can have fun with?

i have personally heard difference in sound between 1 or 2 ports and between slot and aero ports. i am speaking to you from my personal experience and not from doing a search on google or reading it on some forums.

jcash agrees with rovin cause rovin has given people solid advices on this forum. the post counts don't mean sh!t. all rovin and muddy are trying to tell you is that try it out for yourself before you start putting people down about their ideas.

Silver Member
Username: Jcash

Post Number: 117
THANK YOU CHAD!!!!! LOL and he wonders why no one likes him.......

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1190
chad, i will apologize. i didnt know the answer to my question at all. this wasnt a thread to see what people put and test them. that wasnt my point at all. i wanted to know what enough was...like the rule. mendon mafia got the answer. the 16 per cu foot. thats what i wanted to know this whole time. anyways, now im stuck with 2 3" ports, which is only 18 sq. in. of port area for 3 cu feet box. i should be alrgith though, cuase u had 25 sq in. of port before on ur 2 ssis..

has anyone in here ever tried mixing port sizes? like 1 3" and 1 4" cause u were short on space.

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1509
IMO there is better SPL with 2 ports cuz i tryed only 1 4.25" port for both my cvrs, then i tryed 2 4.25" tuned at tha same frequency and it did seem with more SPL IMO.

Gold Member

IA US

Post Number: 1191
so u had like 26 sq in. of port for both ur cvrs. how did that compare spl wise to slot ported?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us