JBL AMP anygood... problems...

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 328
I traded a PA amp for this JBL BP1200.1 of course i had to dish a little extra money besides that, but anyways is this a good amp it seems decent, doesnt get warm at all and pounds my subs. But besides that i noticed it has 4 RCA inputs i am running Y splitters to connect all the inputs, is this recommended? it has no outputs and is a mono block so i am guesing so... but by using the Y splitters would it cut my voltage in half? Should i set my gain to 2V instead of 4V (HU is 4v) but also i was noticing when i would turn my amp so loud it would just pop into protection really fast and back into the Running state, repetivly, the sub would retract instantly and just stop and pound again in the middle of a bass note... its clipping? i tested my subs again and the one of them is still reading at 2ohm's and the other is reading at 1.7ohm they are both qired the same way to did my sub take a crap on me? it dosnt seem to do it with 1 sub connected, also the lower i would drop my ohm loads the quicker the subs would do that.... But besides that, is this a good amp? I am running it at 4ohms and it dosnt get hot at all, it says its 1ohm stable, if stays runnig cool at 1ohm should it be safe to attempt a .5ohm load?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1878
Man that's a great deal... that amp is ONE OF THE BEST, it's 1 ohm stable, i wouldn't mess driving it at 0.5 ohms, the best thing is that puts 1200w at 2 ohms and at 1 ohms or more.

what subs do you have???

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3071
run that amp at 1ohm...its a dam good amp. I have been running one for over a year now and it has never let me down running my SX15.

If the amp is jumping into protect, you voltage is prolly dropping below 10.5V. Are you using a stock charging system?

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 329
dont laugh when u hear the subs i have on the amp, i think the clipping is with them, Its on 2 audioburn immortal 12'' QVC subs, i have em running at 4ohms, Not a stock power system, 2 batterys, one yellow top and one red top optima and 0ga. with a 200A alt., but my voltage drops to about 13.5 as its lowest for the most part, but then again i only have the problem with the one sub on it, does this amp really have a good pretection? Alot of my cheap amps never went into protection without being burned out... fuses never poped either.. no point in having them when they dont pop..

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 330
btw this thing still bangin, i think it made these audioburns sound better then even my earthquake amp haha but that prolly has to do with the box mods i made, but i might have been giving them to much power with the earthquake.. distortion levels were high.. now almost none but im getting that Protection problem..:-(

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4146
Why do you have Optima batteries? Do you go four wheeling a lot or something? :P

Using Y-splitters does not affect the voltage or sound in any noticeable way.

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 331
Optimas are good deep cycle battereys(yellow top), there really isnt anything mjuch better for the price, they work out good.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4167
Good ol' lead-acid batteries put out more current than deep cycles...

The benfit of deep cycles is they can be discharged to 80% of their capacity without damage. Optima's specifically use a gell-type substance in addition to AGM so they can be mounted in any position so if they get cracked, they won't spill.

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 332
but deep cycles should hold your voltage better then lead batterys from what i hear

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1949
john fiachino what's up haha... earthquake amps are good for SPL cuz their thd is too high

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 334
1 thing i noticed with this amp compared to the earthqwuake is.... the earthquake is rated at alot more power but yet i couldnt do half with these subs with that amp as this amp is doing, i can actually run just one of these audioburns at 2ohms and make the Voice Coil like bottom out on the magnet and u can hear it hitting it its pretty loud, but with the earthquake amp i couldnt... why is that? The JBL is doing about 700rms or around that at 2ohms. and the earthquake should of been doing atleast 1000 when i ran the 1 sub at 2ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us