OT- Isaac W or others who know computers

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 597
I recently got a 5.1 sound card but when I went to install it I noticed that the previous sound card is just a little box that is attached to the motherboard. Do I leave this in then and have to sound cards in there ? also I was searching the net for ways to install it and it said to attach a wire from the cd-rom to the sound card but I have no idea where this wire is ?
any ideas

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3047
why not post in the computer section... berny and jexx may know

Silver Member
Username: Dub_c

Post Number: 149
Yes leave it in and install your 5.1, once you do that go to your BIOS and disable the ONBOARD audio.

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1185
Yes, Dub C is right. You will want to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS. To get into the bios most motherboards require to hit either F1, F2 or delete while the computer is booting up. When in doubt just hit all three continually after you turn on the power.

As for the cable, it should have came with your sound card that you bought. It is gray and has black connectors on both ends. On the soundcard you should see a spot for CD_IN or something to that affect. From there the cable goes to the back of the CD-Rom drive where it fits. This cable is only needed for hearing sound that is played from your Cd-Rom drive. So if you are listening to anything like MP3's or something like that you will still be able to hear it. It is still a good idea to hook this cable up though. Acutally this cable should already be running from somewhere on your motherboard to the back you cd rom you can just disconect it from the motherboard and plug it into your new sound card.

If you are going to need anymore help I am going to be out of town. So hopefully someone else can help you. Although I think I covered just about all the bases! :-) Good Luck!

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 603
Alright sounds good guys thanks a lot

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 620
Ok, so i've disabled the onboard audio card, installed the new sound card, installed the drivers, and changed the windows audio setting to 5.1 surround speakers. My problem is that when I attempt to play a song from the net or from a cd, i'm only getting sound from the left,right and sub. Rears and center do not work, but when I use the test speaker function that is on the software that came with the card, all of them produce sound. Does anybody know if there is a setting i'm supposed to change ?

Silver Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 621
bump to the top

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3121
yo.

you got any questions or need virus's taken away, dont take it to a shop. register @ www.techsupportforum.com -- and go the the "hijackthis log help"

and these guys will fix your computer simply by deleting programs etc etc... my comp was sooo messup-up, and i just now got it fixed by them :-) :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us