Im going to be running 1800 rms with a stock alt what do you think will happen?

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 339
ive been running a mb quart raa1000 and a zx350.4 1400 rms both of them on my stock alt for a while now and really had no problems now im about to add a 400 watt mtx amp to power another sub. Will adding this cause any problems and also i used to have 4 gauge wire and am about to switch to 0 gauge does this make more current draw from the alt?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2714
why add another sub an amp, prob will not sound correct....

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
its the same sub

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1859
1800w rms will require a new alt but if you don't see any problems hehe stick with it... which i doubt

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 145
I am currrently running 1800 rms on my stock alt and have had no problems with significant voltage drop. in fact it stays at 14 volts unless i am sitting at a long stop light for say 10 minutes. but even then it only drops to no lower than 13 volts. No problems with light dimming either. I have been running this setup for about a month now and no real problems.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4112
A stoplight that lasts for 10 minutes? Haha...

What kind of vehicles do you guys have?

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
thats good to know my other question is will having 0 gauge wire put more strain on the alternator?

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
how does your stock alt stay at 14 volts
are there any cheap voltage meters on ebay i know capacitors are supposed to be bad but i wanted to get one just for the digital voltage meter do you think thats a good idea

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 146
The light dont last for 10 minutes. Its long lines of traffic waiting for the stop light. So the stop light will turn green like 4-5 times before you actually get to cross the intersection. sometimes even longer. I have a 94' Bravada

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4114
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1333958/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STINGER-SVMB-BLUE-DIGITAL-VOLTAGE-METER-GAUGE_W0Q QcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33681QQihZ004QQitemZ140016570421QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Be wary...I wouldn't be surprised if the alt gave out. I've had it happen before where none of the regular symptoms (lights dimming etc.) occured, but the alt still went bad from too much power. If you don't have the money for a HO alt, you might as well get whatever life you can out of the stock I suppose, then upgrade when you fry it.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 147
How big of an HO alt would you suggest Jexx? I actually do plan to get one, i'm just doing things one step at a time.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4115
~180A minimum.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 148
alright, thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
thats what i need to so when u buy it buy another one for me because im broke right now

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 149
haha, Yeah i'm feelin ya on the broke thing. Thats why i gotta wait to get the HO alt. My wife and I got a small business that we have been running for 4 years now and we are just now getting in the plus side for money. plus i got 3 kids, so my toys come last.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1865
bigger-better

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11555
I can guarantee you that you're not getting 1800 watts from a stock alternator. period.
the electrical system can't produce 180+A of current for any period of sustained time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
yea thats true i might just uprgrade the big 3 not that its gonna do much but do you think thatll do anything

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11562
not much on a factory charging system. definitely if you upgrade the alternator.

the exception is if your wiring is old and worn, or falling apart already. then replacing it will help of course.
remember the factory gives you wiring wih the car that's spec'ed to handle what the car can deliver. if the alternator can only supply 100A peak, then anything bigger than 8AWG is just overkill typically.
that's just an example .

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 965
"the electrical system can't produce 180+A of current for any period of sustained time"

Unless people are driving around playing test tones at full volume all the time it doesn't need to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us