OMG WHAT HAPPENED!!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3023
i was driving, with my subs and box out of my car, cause i have been making a new one...

so i was driving, and all of a suden, i heard a loud static noise, like for 2 seconds, and it was like as loud as i had my music. and when that happened my HU turned off, and so did my amp....... what the F@ck happened???????????????????????????????????

i turned on the car, and my HU and amp still wasnt turning on...

i had my speaker wires from my amp hanging lose, so i think they might have touched, what could have happened???

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 349
yep they probably touched lol youre lucky if your amp dint get ruined. i had that happen before on another pos amp but when the wires had touched the amp started smoking lol. why dint you tape them atleast?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1317
i don't know what it could be, but i kinda had the same problem awhile ago. turned out the mosfet power supply or whatever it's called in my hu was bad and fried the hu and everything connected to it. it sucked.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3024
yea. ok.

i did a continuity test on my fuses on my amp, and the DMM beeped meaning that they are fine. so i can rule out that my fuses are fine, likely meaning my amp is fine too.

i smelled my amp etc, and didnt smell any sort of smoke or anything, so i think my amp be ok.

but how would i check my HU?? because its not coming on!!! isnt the HU supposed to have some sort of protection for if the speaker wires to touch??

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
i thouht youre headunit and your amp worked when you turned the car on? connect your headunit straight to the battery see if it turns on jexx reccomended this to me when a headunit iinstalled was screwed... i dont know if you know how to do that thouggh, thats pretty much the only way i know how right now lol.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3026
yea. i dont know how to do that,,,,,

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3028
bump

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6081
well check the fuse in your fuse box for your radio it is prob blown. Does your amp light turn on when you turn on the ignition? I would bet on blown radio fuse.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3029
i checked the fuse behind the HU (10a fuse) and its not blown. but i havent checked on the one in my fuse box yet.

and yes, my amp doesnt power on when i turn the key on, but for me, if my radio isnt on, my amp doesnt turn on, so thats why i think my amp is fine since the fuses are fine etc. how could (when the speaker wires touch) affect the HU in anyway? does it go through the REM wire or somthin??

i'll check my radio fuse

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3030
and i just check the "radio" one, and the continuity is around 1.2. and the DMM beeps. anything else?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6097
yup it couls easily flow the radio fuse. Most good installers will add in a inline fuse to the remote wire.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3032
radio fuse isnt blown..... so what else is there to do?

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 131
d@mn bassman. why you tryin to blow ya stuff up for man?? haha

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 957
tape is golden

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4047
You might want to try removing the head unit and hooking it up directly to the battery or another known working 12v source (only the yellow battery constant, red ignition, black ground) to see if it gets power.

It might be worth opening the amp up to see if you can find anything that is physically damaged. Usually, when wires touch like that from the amp, the caps in the PSU blow.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3034
PSU?

what are the steps for finding out if my HU or amp works... how do i hook it to the batt, for both amp or HU

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3035
cause i have a feeling that my amp is fine, and that my HU is not, because my amp wont come on anyways if my HU isnt on soo..

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4049
PSU=Power Supply Unit

This is going to sound out of the ordinary, but it works...can you physically hook up your head unit to the amp's power and ground wires?

Ah yeah, to test the amp, hook up the remote wire directly to the amp's power wire. It should turn on. If it doesn't, it's blown, if it does, try hooking up a portable CD player and see if you can get any sound out of it.

This is all assuming your amp's power and ground wires are getting power.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3036
yea ok.

i hooked the REM to the batt, and then all of a suden, my HU went on... thats weird i thought, because before the HU wasnt even turning on, hmmmm,

and when i did that, the amp didnt turn on, so then i hooked the REM to the PW and the amp again didnt turn on... does this mean my amp is blown :-(

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4051
I wonder if the amp was shorting out the head unit because it was sending power back to it through the REM wire? Not entirely sure about that. Do all of the other functions on the head unit work?

Do you know how to open the amp? I highly suggest you open it up to see if you can find anything bad before concluding that it is blown...

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3037
ok. i will check that, and post it bak on here

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3040
all the functions on the HU work fine...

i opened up the amp and i dont see anything thats weird etc. i was looking for some black marks or somthin andi couldnt find anything. even if i blew the channels or somthin, the amp should still turn on..

could i maybe have a bad REM wire? shorted that out? and so thats why its not turning on?? -- i think that might be a good assumption

Bronze Member
Username: Bump05

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 29
na.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3042
thats the only thing i can think of, since my amp doesnt turn on, and nothing looks to be blown.

jexx, what do you think? -- possibly bad REM wire? or Power Atenna? thats the only ting i can think of now

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
bassman you checked the fuse uder the hood im sure? somethmes they loked fine but they dont work change it and see wut happens cause in know its happened to me. get on aim real uick so i can tell you wut else to check for lol

Bronze Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 20
take a small piece of wire and connect it from the rem to the power on the amp. if it doesnt turn on than ur amp is probably f*cked.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4078
^Yep, check the fuse under the hood.

If there is something else you can hook up to the power and ground wires for the amp that takes 12v, that would be a good way to test the wires. If the wires work, your amp is probably fried.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4079
Didn't see justin's post haha.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3043
how do i test the fuse under the hook on my PW?? i have a DMM, do you know how i can check it?

test it just like a reg fuse? -- doing a continuity test...

and how would u know if they wires work by hooking them to a 12V source? -- Im just gonna use the batt BTW

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4081
Whatever you hook the wires up to...if it works, then the wires are good and none of the wiring has been fried.

You're hooking up the amp direct to the batt? Sweet. Tell us how it goes.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3044
i already hooked the amp REM wire to the batt and the amp didnt come on.

i checked the fuse under the hood and everything is fine...

i just dont udnertstand how my amp would be fired if no fuses in my whole car aren't blown

and i know, but how would u know if the wires work?

Bronze Member
Username: Toomuchsound

Staten island, N.y. Usa

Post Number: 67
the easiest way to save a headache
pull everything out and put it in your friends car
if they have a system
jus hook your amp up in their car

Bronze Member
Username: Toomuchsound

Staten island, N.y. Usa

Post Number: 68
the easiest way to save a headache
pull everything out and put it in your friends car
if they have a system
jus hook your amp up in their car
do a swap test

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3045
thats the same thing if i were to just hook my REM to a constant 12v source, and if my amp doesnt come on, its gone. i would be wasting my time if i do that, unless my REM wire screwed up??

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 811
Use the DMM to see if you have 12vlots to the amp, 4 or so on the rem, and ohm out the ground wire. That will tell you if its a power or amp problem. Quick and simply without removing stuff.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3046
what do i touch to what?

for the ground...

and for the rem..

and for the amp...

thanks

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 816
Disconnect wires from amp and take readings here.

Upload

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3065
does that mean for the power wire you connect the PW to the + of batt? and what should that read about

Silver Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 819
Huh? Ya, the power wire that feeds your amp should have 12 volts or so on it. The power wire is always hot,(Live), the rem wire should have 4 or so but only hot when the HU is on, and the ground wire should have a good connection. the way to tell is by using an ohm meter on the DMM,
Gee, You should know this stuff by now. You messing or what?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us