Spl box help

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 374
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=22.5&Eh=16&Dia=9&Xmax=20&V d=0.18&NumW=1&Vb=4&Fb=45&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Net Volume: 4 cubic feet
Tuning Frequency: 45 Hz
Port Width: 5.75 inches
Port Area: 83.375 Square Inches
Port Length: 20.25 inches

External Dimensions: 22.5 wide x 16 tall x 31.25 deep

Box I'm running right now is only tuned to 35hz and it works well for now but I'm trying to get into the 148-149 range so I'm building a spl box. I'm unsure of what to tune it to and would just like some opinions. Should I use pvc ports or just go ahead and make a square port as the one above. I could turn the port to have the sub and port facing the same direction of leave that box plan like it is and have the sub on the right and the port facing down. It will be completely glass resined and braced with 2 1/2 rods. Just loooking for the most output I can get with my current setup. 1 RE SX 15" with 1000wrms in an 03 Jetta.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 376
bump

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 436
i would do aero ports and tune low to mid 40 range.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 377
i don't have time to wait for aero ports to come in the mail.. comp is saturday and my street box only hits 145.7.. thats why i was going to build a square ported box tuned to 45hz and later on when i can get some aeros i can just replace that side of the box and put them in..

Silver Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 660
id get some of these and port it to 45hz....

Silver Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 663
haha ops forgot the link...http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-352

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 379
yea but really how much difference would there actually be between two of those flared 4" ports v.s. a normal square port tuned for the same frequency

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 382
that and i noticed the tcab boxes are made from birch... does it really make that much difference? i mean hell a 12" type R hitting 150.7? it only makes me wonder what my SX would do in it

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 384
bump

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2742
Kevin...Polo has experience in the design of Tcabs. He said the only secret to them are that the ports are at a right angle of the sub and thats it. Plus Tcab uses 6 inch ports....thats the tube not the flare.
Id go with the square ports unless ur gonna use 4+ 4 inch aeros.
the box u showed is good.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 386
so basically i could just build the port at a right angle to the sub and come out with a similar output? does the birch not effect the resonance inside of the box for more gain? if so would it affect it as much as just using 3/4" MDF and glass resin the whole box? I'm still debating on if i should use my box planned or use something similar and just use like a 6 inch pvc port or possible 2-3 4 inch. Just looking for a box built just for SPL comps but i do not know the resonant frequency of my car yet.. pvc ports would help me tune quicker until i found it but i guess if all else fails i can replace one side on the square ported box when i get time to do that. once i find that ill invest in some aero ports.... sooo birch or resined MDF? pvc ports or slot port? a better frequency than 45hz for a 03 jetta?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2743
ok...
1.) sooo birch or resined MDF?
id go with MDF but have a double baffle. and cut 1 inch PVC into 1/4ths and put em in the corner...then resin it.
2.) pvc ports or slot port?
If u got the money...do both...if not amd ur stuck on time go with the Slot. also id go with 2-3 6 inch ports.
3.) better frequency than 45hz for a 03 jetta?
really not sure...try to go to a local shop and have them set the TL to measure for the loudest frequency...then put ur sub in sealed and run a sweep. then tune to that. if u dont have a local shop then get to the comp like an hour or more in advance and they should give u a free run.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2744
also if the port has to angle then put it on the front face and angle towards the sub.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 388
I am strapped for time so I'm probably going to just use MDF and resin it. So you really see that much gain when the port is at a 90 degree angle to the sub? I'll just have to plug the box next time and run a sweep. The box I made and am running now peaks at 45hz so I figured tuned for 45hz it would peak at 55hz. I'd really love to hit 150db but more reasonably 148-149. How much difference would there really be between having the port and sub at a 90 degree angle vs having the port and sub on the same plane?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2746
im not gonna lie...im not sure about the angleed port deal but i hear from many sources that its better.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 389
anyone? im trying to get the most i can out of this with my current setup just by changing the box..

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4495
i have not read this thread. so don't get mad if i cover something somebody already said. lol

brace the inside of the box with pieces of MDF...prevents flex.

brace the corners with pieces of MDF. just glue pieces in the corners....prevents flex.

the loudest setup would be with the ports at a right angle of the sub.....slot or aero...the slot box would need to be a lottttt bigger.

the right angle ports allows for the port to be straight....no turbulence or friction = louder:-)

also, i would tune to around 50hz at least....they say the larger the vehicle the lower the tune in most cases. so i would tune to around 55hz in your case. my 2 cents:-)

Username: He2

Post Number: 1
100hz and under "OR" over 100hz which will have louder bass and deeper bass? Thank You!!

And also, I have 2 10" sub in my hatchback, which way should I face it to get the loudest, deep bass? Please help, Thanks again!!

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3067
w/ a 4 cuft box, your SX15 is going to try to peak about 6-8hz above your actual box tuning...and your "in-car" box tuning will actually be a lil lower than your "on-paper" tuning.

hint hint
:-)

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 390
in my other box its peaking 10hz higher than the tuned frequency but i got your email and im probably going to do that.. next step is to go to homedepot for some wood and all thread.. oh almost forgot the important glass resin :-)

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 391
btw marshall.. I emailed you back with updated dimensions and a box plan

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 395
Net Volume: 4 cubic feet
Tuning Frequency: 42 Hz
Port Width: 4 inches
Port Area: 54 Square Inches
Port Length: 15 inches
External Dimensions: 22.5 wide x 16 tall x 28.5 deep.
Upload

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 396
bump.. everything look good?! is the math correct?!

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 397
nevermind marshall answered my question.. gonna go with 13 inch port but besides that ive got another question.. does the placement of the sub in the box affect the gain.. in my plan it is in the middle.. what would happen if it were further from the port, to the left.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 399
bump

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 401
.. building today.. need to know if subwoofer position would change the output?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us