Why is my ground wire getting hot

Bronze Member
Username: Black013

Post Number: 72
i notice when ever my volume increases my ground wire gets real hot to the point as to where i cant touch it why is it that this happends

my setup
2L712
1500watt class D Hifonics Brutus

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
4 gauge eveything some one told me i need a double ground

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4000
The ground wire and power wires should be the same size...is your ground wire smaller than the power wire?

Where do you have it grounded? Is it touching bare metal and clean, free of rust?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
metal in my trunk not sure about rust

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11534
make sure you're grounded to bare, sanded metal with a good size bolt. you need a solid groud connection to avoid limiting current flow like a kinked hose.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 1180
i think i just sh@t myself when i saw glasswolf post

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 563
^^^same thing happend to me a few days ago

Bronze Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 36
To add to GlassWolfs suggestion, make sure that your ground has a clear path to the battery, this is to say that you should avoid bolted on structures (rear deck, trunk lid, etc.) and seat bolts. Also, try using a star washer for a better connection, or pick up a ground lug from Tsunami or JL Audio's ECS.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 342
to add to all that... make sure your not using just wire with bare ends, you need connectors on the wires not sure what they are called but u soldier the wire in and it has a hole in it to bolt down... lol, also your ground wire should be as short as possible is your ground wire longer then 1ft.? that is ussaly the recomended length for ground in most cases

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 296
and to add even further (never really tested it but it works very well for me)...I use my own bolt, lock washer, nut, etc....I sand BOTH sides of the metal (in the truck and under the truck) to make sure everything has clean bare metal to connect to

Bronze Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 45
And to add again, just for the sake of it.

To understand what makes a good ground you should think of your batteries negative terminal as the end result and the car as a big wire. Noises are most often the result of the ground path of two components being of different resistances. In the perfect world they would be 0, but in reality they can measure 2000 Ohms as longs as the all measure at that. You can always take a DMM and measure the resistance of your ground points to check this. If your amp has a high resistance ground, this will almost assuredly heat your wire.

Also, you may want to consider swapping that wire now, if it was getting that hot you may have started to melt away the outer jacket.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us