JEXX or anyone else

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 346
hey i installed a headunit on my friends car and when you turn it up to to 255 of 35 the headunit shuts off and comes back one quick. but it keeps shutting off when i turn it up past like 25. is the headunit messed up? i never had notyhing like this happen to me before. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3992
Usually when a head unit shuts off after a certain volume, it will display some kind of symptoms beforehand such as distorted sound or the display starts to dim.

Check the speaker wire connections behind the head unit, there might be two wires touching/shorting out.

More likely, however, is you're running too much power off the alt with your amps and subs, and when the system starves for power, it shows because the head unit doesn't have enough voltage to stay on (the more current the amps pull, the less voltage available).

What amps are you running, and what kind of car? Is it a stock alternator?

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
no he dont have any amps or nothing just the headunit connected and i checked all the wiring and stuff before everything was good nothing touching ect.... i forgot one thing lol it dosent turn off when you turn the bass setting for the interior speakers to like -5 so i dont know

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3995
What kind of head unit is it?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3996
And what kind of car?

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
d@mn i dont have the model number but its a newer kenwood and its in a 1994 honda accord the speakers dont sound disorted when it shuts off either.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3997
Is there a way to hook up the yellow battery constant wire of the head unit directly to the battery (+) terminal? It sounds like it isn't getting enough power...

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
jexx im gonna try that like connect both the yeloow and red to the + of the battery? it shouldnt turn off riht? ill let you know on wednesday when i go to his house.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4024
Yeah, that should work.

Silver Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 138
never do kenwood thats it

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
well i dont know wut was wrong with it the stereo kept turning off, and now when he would turn on the lights the stereo would cut off and then the cd's didnt work lol bunch of problems so hes gonna get his money back

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4354
Whoa, it sounds like it was wired up wrong! The illumination wire was probably hooked up unnecessarily.

See if this helps at all:
1994 Honda Accord Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Blue/White
Switched 12V+ Yellow/Red
Ground Black
Illumination Red/Black
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Yellow/White
Antenna Left Rear
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+) Blue/Green
Left Front (-) Gray/Black