Infinity or JBL? and what amp?

Doronian
Ok ive got a 2000 accord coupe and am looking for nice accurate and hard hitting subs. new to car audio so would like some information. first the difference between 2 10s and 2 12s or 1 12. second ive been looking at 3 subs: Infinity Perfect 10.1D, JBL P1020D, or even the MTX Thunder8000. Which would you recommend and why. Now i listen to mostly electronic so i definitely want accurate bass esp. when the beats start bangin fast. But of course loudness is important as well. now after all that what is even more important is the amp.. any recommendations? im not sure if i should be looking for a powerful 2 channel amp, or can i use a powerful mono amp or what? Thank you all already =)

Derek
I have used the MTX 10" 8000s. They have VERY poor sensitivity at 83 db per watt. That makes them require about 10 times the power of a typical good home speaker.

The good new is for small boxes nothing goes lower. Also try to find a Polk DX10 4. Both woofers can be found for under $150 on the internet and will go down flat to the mid 30s with a maximum 1.1 cuft. Most 10s require at 3 times that much for a low Q response. The MTX has better power handling though.

The infinity you mentioned cost more and don't go down (flat) as far (51 Hz) as the MTXs but have much better sensitivity (93db). That means the MTXs would need 1000 watts for the same bass as the Infinitys at 100 watts. 1.3 cuft max.

Buy a custom box from Vantage (they make all of the JL Audio boxes) and you are on your way.

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us