Repair Precision power amp or buy new amp??

Username: James330i

Post Number: 4
sorry for the posts guy but this is in relation to my other post about my amp going up in smokes

it seems as though it can be fixed for $120 or so. I've got the PCX2200 and had it running at 800 x 1 to a 12" IDMAX v3 sub.

My next question is,

would you guys drop $140 to keep this amp going? (it is about 3 years old)

or

spend $100-200 more and get something new?

What is a good 600-800 sub amp (4ohm) for around $300? My PPI amp was fabulous with the IDMAX

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 215
Is it a dual 2 ohm sub?

Post Number: 6
yes it is. You had mentioned a budge 1 ohm sub....what brand/model would you recommened?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 237
You mean budget 1 ohm amp?

I was talking about the massive audio p1000.1. 1000rms at 1 ohm, and was only around $275 shipped to your door, with a 2 year warranty. Overall a great deal, and seems to make a lot more sense then paying $150 to fix the amp you have now.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1752
hifonics 1206d is a better deal than the massive

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 247
Why ya brother use it...hahaha.

You have no idea what you are talking about again. Do you even know what type of FET's they use in the Hifonics amps? Not to mention the prices of the Hifonics isn't really even cheaper than the massive ones.

So the massive amp costs around the same, has better build quality, higher quality parts are used, comes from an authorized dealer, has a 2 year warranty, and from personal expieriance holds up much better than the Hifonics amps. Why would you choose the 1206d other than the fact that it is probably the only class d amp you have ever used.

Post Number: 8
hey showrides,

I noticed the DC resistance of the new sub I put in is 2.8 ohms while the old one I had is 3.8 ohms.

My amp is not rated to handle less then 4ohms when bridged and somebody here at work pointed out that maybe the new sub hit a frequency causing it to dip into that 2.8 ohm temprorarily and therby frying the amp.

thoughts?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 252
First off amps put out AC current.

But yes, if the resistance on the VC's on your new sub are less than your old sub, then that could have caused the problem you were having with your amp.

A lower impedence will pass more current through your amp, and it will heat up more, and have more stress on it. So that right there could have been the problem.

So that is a very possible reason why you kept blowing fuses, and ended up frying your amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1772
hifonics is a good deal, i heard a bad review about massive 1500.1, i know they're good but i'd go with hifonics cuz they're cheaper and they will do the job nicely

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 264
How cheap are Hifonics?

You heard a bad review. Well Juliob, I heard someone say HIfonics Brutus's are no good. So there we are even haha.

I mean come on. You heard one person say the massive p1500.1 wasn't any good. Who was he? What was he running with it? What did he have it wired to? What was wrong with it?

How can you say such a vague statement. How about this. I have used plenty of Hifonics amps in the past and have had tons of problems with them. Starting with busted FET's causing less output.

But of course you would know what is wrong with massive because some guy said one of the amps was bad haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1774
it wasnt bad, the amp was not putting the rms ratings the amp claimed, it was benchtested and did only 1000w rms, hifonics is overrated, yeah right that's reality but for a budget amp they do the job... also what subs were you pushing when you had the problems, how was your gain set?

there are many factors when judging an amp, that's true, hifonics has pretty cheap materials but they do the job, i'd buy hifonics everyday if i had the money... if i can afford better, then i'd do that...

massive is good but when you see that 1 of those amps was overrated by 500w is something surprising...

my 2 cents
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us