Is It True...

Username: Bigbobbyhoward

Post Number: 8
...that if I get a 15" I need to get a 10" or 12" to catch all the bass? Somebody told me that a 15" only catches the low bass.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1289
lol, noooo. Most subs can handle frequencies from 20 to 100 hz, some higher, some lower. In order to have a fine balance you will need what you call Mid bass, like 6 1/2" or 5 1/4" in the doors or kick panels folowed by tweeters and maybe smaller components. I am a bass head so the components are not that big of a deal to me but I still like to listen to a lot of music that requires a great deal of component output, that is where a Kicker sx900.4 comes into play, lol. Maybe others can chime in here... Polo. :-)

Username: 90caprice

CICERO, IL USA

Post Number: 1
POLO DO YOU WORK AT A SOUND SHOP?

Bronze Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 69
It all depends on the 15'' sub's range. But yea If I were you I would pick up some nice Mid bass drivers like Polo said.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2953
lol. no he doesnt. why you ask that MARZ

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1294
That is why if I don't know it all or can't find the words to simplify what I am saying (complex brain here) I ask other to chime in on the subject. Nothing I say is "absolute", BUT PRETTY DAM CLOSE, lmfao... Polo..

CICERO, IL USA

Post Number: 2
just wondering i need help hooking up my sound system and polo is near me.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1727
hey marz wat part of cicero ur living at????? and u too polo???

i live at lawndale and 25th like 10 blocks from cicero avenue

CICERO, IL USA

Post Number: 3
21st and Austin Ave

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1730
oh ok do you know phd electronics that its lcoated at cermak and kedzie??? i used to work there u can go there but its gonna cost u a lot wat u need to hook up??

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11535
if you run a fifteen, you'll want to run your LPF at about 60Hz to keep the sub sounding tight, and to avoid issues with things like cone flutter.
Most 6.5" midranges woon't roll off smoothly to a 60Hz point, so you usually want to consider using 8" midbass drivers between the fifteen(s) and 6.5" mids.

In my car I use a single fifteen, two 8" midbass, and 3" midranges with 1" tweeters.
works very smoothly.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4026
Hey Glasswolf, where are your 8"s mounted? I have a similar setup, but I just put both of mine in a sealed enclosure...they were just too big for me to make a kickpod etc. for the doors...

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11538
Mine are part of the DynAudio system 360 front stage. I have them up front with the mids and tweeters, but these are shallow mount, sealed midbass 8" drivers, not 8" subs. I'm also working with a 1966 Dodge, so I have very deep doors and a ton of legroom to work with for kickpods.
I don't have the problems of most modern cars for speaker location.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4059
That's cool, do you have any pics? I'd be curious to see how you have your drivers placed.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1338
Curious Wolfman, You have a set a quiet turbos on that Dodge or are you running glasspacks. Reason I ask I remember having a system in my 79 AMC AMX with a 401, I always ran Thrush tubos but had issues with the exhaust competing with the system. Don't get me wrong it was loud but soo was the exhaust, lol. Polo. :-O

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11547
no pics at the moment. I have the panels all taken off for paint right now so the car looks like a big shell. I have them in fiberglassed pods though, to angle them, since mind cover a lot of lower midrange with a shallow slope XO.

Polo, my exhaust setup consists of ceramic coated hooker supercomp full length headers to a 3.5x10" set of collectors, to a 3.5" to 3" reduction X pipe, out to two dynomax superturbo mufflers, and 3" pipes out the back.
this was the engine with open headers at idle, up to 3KRPM:
http://www.glasswolf.net/misc/440.mp3

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1344
LOL, that means you play your sterio with the car not running or you have a lot of deadening material and windows up, sounds sweet! Polo.. :-O

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11556
entire car is deadened. spray-lined from firewall to tail lights inside, roof to floors, engine compartment is sprayed with a rhino-lining typa material as well.
Then the doors, trunk, etc have dynamat material, and I used expanding foam to tighten up spots matting can't reach.
On top of that I have an electrical system that lets me run for quite a while with the car off, isolated, and yeah I tend to play it with the windows up, too.
it works out.. but with the superturbos, it purrs as long as I don't put my foot in it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us