How to install car audio capacitors?

Username: Maskianonalang

Punxsy, Pa Usa

Post Number: 1
i have a system, sony xplod im just using one 1200 watts sub and amp do i still need a capacitor? if i just hook the amp straight to battery will it harm my car?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11515
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/capacitors.html

Username: Blkbville04

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 9
the only reason you really need a capacitor is if your lights are dimming or anything else is being drawn down because of the subs. It wont harm your car to hook it up to the battery, your supposed to. what do you have it hooked to right now?

Bronze Member
Username: Gboo559

Post Number: 15
If u have a 1200 watt SONY amp dont even think about a cap.
Caps are useless IMO and i hate the fact most people think they save battery

Hook up your system and see if ur lights dim im pretty sure they wont

Username: Craiger22

Post Number: 6
No, you do not need a cap, save your money.

Caps arent completely useless per say, they just dont do much. They provide a clean power source which can eliminate MINOR dips, but if you are seeing it in your headlights it just wont help.

Username: Alder44

Plain city, Ohio Us

Post Number: 6
but they do look sweet lol

Username: Creator1

Canada

Post Number: 3
Ya- CAPS r not the answer! They are a bandaid. PROBLEM is, most (all) retail outlets say - IF ur lights dim- u need to BUY a cap! Unfortunetly, they WILL stop ur lights from flickering- BUT they wont rectify the problem, U NEED more voltage- which means Battery power. Yes- caps do regulate the voltage supply/draw by charging and discharging faster than the electrical/chemical battery can produce (cuz the internal resistance of a cap is so low, they charge & discharge very fast) ( there are BIG caps INSIDE the amp powr supply, but when they are drained, then the BIG outside cap comes into play.) BUT- the cap is ONLY going to hold a charge to the POTENTIAL of the battery charging system. So, if ur battery voltage drops to 10 volts- then the CAP is only going to be charged to 10 volts. See how it DOESNT solve the problem of low voltage. Sure- it will moderate the supply so ur lights dont seem to flicker as much BUT- the problem is NOT enuf voltage to ur amp- means LESS power output, or, if its a regualted power supply amp- then its going to work harder and pop fuses.
So- YES, caps do work (smooth out the power supply surges). BUT- they are NOT the answer. GET more battery power and make sure ur charging system can keep up and you WONT need any caps. THE World record holders in DB drag, DONT use caps- cuz they know they dont PRODUCE power- they just store it :-))

Username: Bookeeper

Louisiana

Post Number: 9
my saying would be use the cap they can help with bass boost and like he said they do look good and show your battery voltage but if your headlights are dimming try this make sure your amp rms power has 50- 100 watts more then your speakers rms needs so with the two subwoofers pushing 800 watts rms get a amp that gives you 900 watts for that sub setup hook the cap up make sure your amp power wire is good 4gauge up is best good wire gives you better performance 12 gauge speaker wire and get and alternator that has more then the standard 105 amps thats should fix the lost of power right there so if your headlights jumping you need more alternator watts and make sure your amp has a lil more watts the your speaker rms power not peak power

Bronze Member
Username: Bookeeper

Louisiana

Post Number: 26
yeah my lights are dimmin now when my bass hits i have a cap on it but i have to tighten the knobs being lazy but still later i will add a bigger alternator and also try one of those kinetek batteries to also when i get my four 6x9s and take out my 2ch punch amp and add two four channel eclipse amps so my door speakers and 6x9s are all on their own channel then i can set my amps right n tune my system so i plan to keep the cap it helps and they do look good but this time im going to do my sound the right way and do it myself installers are a joke today ripoffs all the $2500 worth of stuff i paid for wasnt even in my truck

Bronze Member
Username: Cadillac

Post Number: 31
i live in california Anahiem dont go to any instalers in that area the installer now in days are a joke this is true, they are horrible all they care about is money not the tuning or the quality in sound. The only Car audio place i have had a good experience with is Digital Audio in ocean side.

Bronze Member
Username: Dcollister440

Post Number: 83
hey, so where at in oceanside? I know man, I live in san diego and all these shops are nothing but jokers who don't know anything, but swear they know everything...they irritate me with the need to sell you something instead of giving you what is needed...cadillac hit me up on pm or email me dcollister440@gmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us