250 watt amp for a 300 watt sub

Silver Member
Username: Aman2005

Post Number: 268
Hello all,
I'm here again to mess with questions, if there is a subwoofer, which needs 300 or 500 watt of power, and someone is powering it with an amp which is 250 or 400 wrms (FOR 300 and 500 wrms sub). and playing music at normal volumes for daily driving and not for comps, how much difference will be there??

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4628
you don't have to match rms for rms all the time. its okay to underpower or over power a little. if you got a nice 300wrms sub with a nice 250wrms amp then it would be fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
how much difference can be fine? I mean how much will be fine for a 100 or 1000 watt subs?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4629
what kinda difference are you talking about? it will still sound good. that is what i am saying.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
no no, I mean clipping or something like that. I mean how many chance is there in the reduction of performance and increase in the chance of damage if playing for daily driving and not very loudly or at full power.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4630
you won't clip it as long as you set your gain correctly. the clipping occurs when you are trying to get more power out of you amp than it can produce. like setting the gain real high cause you think it is a volume knob or something. just because you underpower your sub doesn't mean its going to clip.

just use a digital multimeter and set your gain correctly and you will be good to go.

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
ok how to use digital multimeter for the prpse?

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
anybody??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us