RE SX 15" vs. Memphis LVS 15"

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 336
I've got both of these subs but I'm going to an audio comp Saturday and I built a box for the RE SX 15" recently but at the same time I accumulated the Memphis LVS 15". I was going to run the Memphis until my SX got bback from being reconed but it should be in tomorrow. So now I've got to use one of the two speakers for the comp. The box was built just for the SX.. heres the specs.

RE SX 15"

Net Volume: 4 cubic feet
Tuning Frequency: 35 Hz
Port Width: 4.5 inches
Port Area: 65.25 Square Inches
Port Length: 29.25 inches

Dropping the Memphis is this box will change the frequency to around 28hz(?) and it would have less volume than the SX would. So my question is which would be louder given this enclosure and 1000wrms?

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 339
bump

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 609
sx

changing the sub changed the tuning frequency that much

Silver Member
Username: Halter

Paulding, Ohio

Post Number: 182
also...I heard that the 15" memphis mojo is better than LVS... just what dealers told me...even though it was more money I could spent at the dealer he told me that the mojo handles more crap I guess..idk..never heard it!!

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 340
well im not sure how much it changed the frequency.. im sure it would be around that because of the displacement of the sub is so high. anyone else have an opinion on which would be louder?

Gold Member
Username: Alex_f

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1220
changing the sub shouldn't affect the tuning frequency.

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 341
it will because the volume of the box is increased.. the port area is the same but the actual box volume is smaller.. in other words the proportions where changed but instead of both parts only one. smaller box with the same size port would actually make the port longer for that box. but anyway im just trying to get at which sub would be louder given that box and 1000wrms

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 342
wrote too fast.. box volume is decreased for the memphis lvs

Gold Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1222
because of the larger motor?

Gold Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1223
why don't you mount reverse mount it.

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 343
it would still change the port frequency.. box was made for .18^3ft displacement and if i reverse mounted the lvs the box would only have displacement from the port not both that and the sub. anyway.. anyone compare the two? the lvs is hooked up right now and ill be honest it sounds pretty good.. the little antenna on the roof shakes so fast it looks as if it were not moving.. along with my rear window looking as it were to shatter due to the flexing in the car. still curious to see what my sx will do.. still want to know which would be louder before i start tearing stuff apart to switch subs

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 344
well i ran both and the SX is louder without a doubt... the lvs makes my car look like its going to fall apart but it can't keep up with the pure spl of the sx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us