Am I stupid? or does this speaker just out-go human hearing?

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 166
"Frequency response is an important consideration for any speaker. Most humans have a range of hearing that extends from 20Hz (Hz stands for Hertz or cycles of sound per second) to 20,000Hz (also written as 20kHz, or 20 kilohertz). Lower cycles per second produce bass sounds, higher hertz numbers produce treble sounds. An ideal loudspeaker would produce sounds that cover the entire range of human hearing. But most speakers do not reproduce this complete range." (About.com - http://stereos.about.com/cs/componentguide/a/loudspeakers_3.htm )

and these speakers say they go from 85-32000 or 85- 25000 htz....that makes no sence then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-T1682S-5x7-6x8-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-NEW_W0QQi temZ270012965203QQihZ017QQcategoryZ18800QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-KAPPA-680-7CS-6x8-5x7-COMPONENTS-PAIR-NEW_W0QQitemZ 320013603342QQihZ011QQcategoryZ18800QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IF the human ear can only hear up to 22k, then why do we need speakers to go higher?

Im just trying to learn about how to look for a good speaker you know, i need some 6x8'' speakers, and i was confused when those 2 put out more than 22k..

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3807
Some people can hear higher than 20kHz, so it might make a difference. Otherwise, a higher frequency response can also indicate a higher quality speaker/amp. My PPI PC2350 plays up to 100kHz for comparison.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
so that measures quality as well in a way? so if im looking for a 6x8 component that hits the hi-s reall nice, i want a speaker than can go up into the 30k range at least?

Bronze Member
Username: Joeypasta

Bedford, Texas

Post Number: 18
sound is vibration, and some sounds that can't be heard can be felt

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
Thats for lows only though, i mean you dont feal hi's? unless its a damn whine right?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3825
Yeah, a higher frequency response is indicative of better quality...but if you're comparing speakers that are that close together for frequency response, it isn't that big of a deal.

Bronze Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 30
It's so all the animals can hear your speakers lol.

I think it's just marketing, manufacturers just trying to sell their product. Generally though speakers rated real high though sound really bright.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
so if i have 2 10''s in the back of my car, and i want some components to hit those hi's and to keep my system sounding really good? i want bright sounding speakers in the 30khz range? or does it not matter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us