Username: Tiggerboi87

Pensacola, FL United States

Post Number: 153
What are some good HU for $400 or less?

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
I want something that has a lot of features and plenty of bling to it.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 215
In that price range I'd probably look at one of these. Keep in mind you can find all of those for cheaper if you look around online. Also, if you're looking at the Pioneer models, the Premier versions will offer more crossover options. You can check those out on the Pioneer website.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
do you think any of those are worth all the money?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 217
Well that's really up to you, but it also depends on what else you're going to be running with it. If you're going to add an amp and sub and/or upgrade the speakers (and maybe amp those as well) then it's worth spending the money for the adjustability of a nice deck, as well as powerful pre-outs to power your amps properly. But if you're going to be running stock equipment, then there's no reason to spend $400 on a head unit as far as I'm concerned.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Yea im gonna be running speakers with amp and sub with amp and all that. I had a kenwood KDC-mp732 but i sold it so i can get a better HU. Im also upgrading from 2 type-r's to i TSX 15.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 218
Ok, well if I were in the market for a new deck, I certainly wouldn't spend less than $400 or so. You really do tend to get what you pay for with car audio. Any of those decks I linked would last you quite a while and offer all of the features you'd need. If I was going to pick one, I'd probably run the Premier DEH-P980mp, but that's just me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
yea ive been lookin at that one for a while now. It looks real good to me and has a whole bunch of features. That bluetooth is what makes it cool to have to me other than that its just like the 7800mp dont you think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
so forgeting about price what would one of the best HU's be that has features and bling?

Username: Tommyo

Post Number: 5
is the alpine 9965 all that its hyped up to be?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 219
Well, if we're just talking CD HUs then I'm not sure I'd plunk down much more cash then what the 980 would run. I hear good things about the Eclipse CD7000, but I've always hated motorized faces, it just seems like one more thing to break that you don't really need. Over the $500 range I think I'd start saving up and looking at fold out DVD. In terms of the best DVD HU, I haven't tested enough to really give an educated answer, but as far as features and looks go I'm a big fan of the Kenwood Excelon units. A good friend of mine has the KVT-715 and it's awesome. There are plenty of Kenwood haters, and I'm not really a fan of theirs in general, but I've yet to see a unit in person that outperforms that KVT-715 (I've probably tested 5 or 6 others in various setups) and I think the Kenwood players are by far the best looking.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Well i like kenwood HU's because i hve previously owned 2 of them and i loved them both but now i want something new and different but dont quiet have enough for a fold out DVD player.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 220
Thomas, as far as the 9965 goes, I'm just not sure how you justify the cost. I don't doubt that it sounds great and performs well and as a whole Alpine makes a good product, but $1500 retail for an indash DVD player is one thing, but then to have to find space and money for an external screen when similar products in the price range offer fold out options, I just don't see it as all it's cracked up to be. And, not that it's probably an issue for most people willing to pay that sort of money for a deck, but the 9965 has no internal amplifier so that's pretty much built in cost. I mean if you've already got an upgraded sound system and a screen and are looking for one of the top seperate in-dash DVD players out there, then the 9965 is near the top of the list, but for the majority of people looking to move over to DVD from a standard CD deck, it's not a very practical option in my opinion based on the features it and it's competitors offer. Here are a bunch of the numbers.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 221
Yeah, I really don't think you can beat the two Pioneer units Tiger. The 780 and 980 are both really nice options, especially if looks are important. The bluetooth on the 980 really is all you'd be paying for, it's the same deck otherwise, and I'm not really sure the cost is justifiable, but if you had the extra cash it's a nice feature. If I had other upgrades in mind that needed funding though, I'd have no problem settling for the 780.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2873
new eclipse 700 series

Silver Member
Username: Bigsim

Australia

Post Number: 147
"The bluetooth on the 980 really is all you'd be paying for, it's the same deck otherwise"

It also has Auto-TA and EQ, but a lot of people don't ever use them. Both are very pretty HUs, with a lot of nice features IMO. You won't be disappointed with either one of these :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us