ALPINE OR PIONEER

ER_NURSE
I'm trying to decide between pioneer & alpine. Don't want fancy, just good, clean sound w/ ability for some bass & later possible upgrades. I have Boston Acoustic 6x9's in front & fact 6 1/2's in rear for now. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Derek
I'd never owned and Alpine/Luxman before but was looking for a replacement for my now dead Sony CDR-450 head unit. I thought I could add some features by getting a head unit with MP3 playback. My attention was immediatly drawn to Pioneer's 8400 ($500) and to some lessor Sonys to control my existing Sony ES CD changer. Then the Pioneer 5500 came out ($250) and it plays WMAs like the 8400.

I pushed all of my music collection into my computer at the highest quality VBR WMA in anticipation of the new receiver and made two torture test CDs; one CDR and the other CDRW. Both contained WAVs, MP3 recorded at 128 and 320, WMAs at low rate and high VBR, protected WMAs and multiple complex folders.

I tried Panasonic, Blaupukt, Aiwa, Kenwood and everything I could get my hands on and none of the supposed WMA compatable head units could play the high VBR WMAs and most could not even see the CDRW. The Pioneer 8400 could play the high VBR but the music dribbled out and was unlistenable.

I happened to be on my quest in a Sound Advice and was again frustrated with what they had when a salesman pointed out Alpine's CDA-9807. This thing played both CDs and all music except the WAV and the protected WMA. It cost $269 and they had free installation - SOLD. This thing sounds WAY better than my old Sony and does what I tell it to do.

Highly recommended.

ER_NURSE
Thanks for the reply Derek. I've heard good things about Alpine & Pioneer. I've owned Pioneer & Kenwood, favoring Pioneer. I recently sold my other truck w/ my system going w/ it!

Go with Pioneer. I sell audio systems, and Im happiest with that brand and so are my customers. Cleanest sound. Especially accompanied by audiobahn subs. ;-)

ER_NURSE
Thanks for the info. LadyLude!

Alan
i have to disagree. i've had pioneer, clarion, kenwood and alpine. alpine outclasses the others in terms of sound quality and durability. it is the best for me. i even bought a used alpine once and it still sounded darn good. i wouldn't compromise on this if i were you.

ER_NURSE
Thanks for the info. Alan!

Adam
Alpine makes the most advanced head units in my opinion. I really like pioneer but I think its outclassed by Alpine in a lot of respects. If you want something basic, Pioneer is definitely the best for your buck, but Alpine's high end decks do what equalizers do and as of right now are one of the few affordable decks on the market with independent front rear and sub crossovers.

Buy a pioneer. The sound quality/buck ratio is amazing. I recently bought a pioneer mp550- it has seperate crossovers for front, rear and subs. It plays mp3s, WMAs, and everything else i've been able to put on a CDR. Alpine MIGHT sound a lil bit better, but unless you have a golden ear you will not be able to tell the difference. (by the way, the price difference between the pioneer 150-250 on ebay, to a comparable alpine 250 and up does not justify the questionable sound quality difference.)

rays in
if you like to tweek your sound system and have a good ear for what is being produced my it, then majority of the people go for Alpine. They are the best on the market regardless of how much they cost........i had a cda-7977 in my truck and it was the best choice i made at that time. if you want looks and flashing screens,dolphins swimming around,then buy the pioneer or sony brands,but all in all apline is the most notable choice.

tt
i have the pioneer premeir DEH-940MP. It has a built in 13 band equalizer and front, rear, sub crossover network with 6.5volt preamp out for better sound vs Alpine's 4.5 and 5 volt preamp out. The only thing is that most places want 890 for my unit but etronics has it for 525 last time i checked probably less. It depends on what you want to spend and what sound you want. I have always had pioneer but like Alpine too I have 2 15 Alpine Type R subs and amp. Either one is good, but I know Pioneers last and are good for the money.

Anonymous
u guys know that pioneer makes clarion? that being said i woulden't buy a pioneer unless i was looking for an affordable solution. if i had a choice i woud go with alpine, kenwood, or mabee even blaupunkt or jvc before i even considered clarion or pioneer. i'll give them this though, their buttons and layout are decent and they are cheap and durable. but for quality sound you get what you pay for

Anonymous
GO FOR ALPINE.... PIONEER suckssssssssssssssss

Anonymous
Whats wrong with Clarion!? I've listned to A LOT of head units in my time and, of course second to he Alpines, the Clarion units sounds better than all of the rest. And the "even Blaupunkt"!?! The best radios in the world.
Streng comment that one...........

B.Wat
I have never heard Pioneer makes Clarion.... I knew that Panasonic and JVC are made by the same company....

J Diggity
I'm looking to buy a new head unit since mine recently got jacked. Had a pioneer 7400 (w/o mp3) and loved it. But now that i'm getting a new one i'm looking for mp3 playback. stuck b/w pioneer deh-p550mp and alpine cda-9807. I have mobile es amp and sub. Any suggestions which one I should get? Is the sound quality worth the $50 difference b/w the pioneer (cheeper) and the alpine? Also does anyone know if Alpine has that annoying pause between mp3 tracks like the pioneers are plagued with? Thanks for the help.

if you can afford Alpine, buy it. You will not stop smiling for months...

BLUEOVAL#1
THERES ONLY ONE SIMPLE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION GET THE APINE. ALPINE IS THE LEADER IN CAR AUDIO AND VIDEO BARE NONE. IN YOU CAR IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU WANT CONTROL AND ALPINE GIVES YOU CONTROL OF EVERY SOUND WAVE THAT COMES OUT OF YOUR SPEAKERS. YOU CAN TUNE EVERY NOTE TO SUITE YOUR EARS, FROM THE HARDEST BASS TO THE HIGHEST HIGHS AND EVERTHING IN BETWEEN. DO NOT WASTE YOU MONEY ON THE OTHER BRANDS LIKE SONY, PIONEER, KENWOOD, CLARION, OR PANISONIC BECAUSE LIKE THE ONES MENTIONED ABOVE YOU CANT GO TO A LOCAL WALMART AND BUY ONE OFF THE SHELF. JUST MY OPINION, BUT I WOULDN'T BUY MY CAR STERO AT THE SAME PLACE WHERE YOU CAN BUY TOOTHPASTE AND DENTAL FLOSS. ALPINE IS NOT A SELL OUT TO BUY AND INSTALL ALPINE, THE PLACE MUST BE A CERTIFIED ALPINE RETAILER AND INSTALLER. ALPINE ALL THE WAY!!!

Anonymous
ALPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

los
though they are both good pioneer does have good quality to $$ ratio n they not bad looking either. but yea for power and performence i say Alpine.

we have a pioneer radio in our truck and need to know how to set the clock. if you cantell me i appreciate it hippys35@ wmconnect.com

Anonymous
Alpine!!!!!!

Brian
I am trying to decide between Alpine and Pioneer also. I only want to spend about 200 bucks and i plan on buying, whatever it is i decide on, off of ebay. As far as Alpine goes, i know i can get the CDA 9811 for about 230. On the other hand, there is an entire array of Pioneer possibilities (5500, 6500, 7500, 6400, 750 ect... you get the idea). As of right now i do not have subs but plan to get them in the near future. I noticed that the pioneers have 4v and 6v preouts while the alpines only have 3v. Does this make a difference? Should i be concerned with this?

Anonymous
ALPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
I had a high end stock stereo in my Honda Accord. When I added a Pioneer Premier Deh 740 MP3 player, I was shocked that the overall sound and bass was incredible. Felt like I had woofers in my car. It was easy to adjust to any type of music. When it was stolen last month, I purchased an Alpine CDA 9807. Although the sound was clean, it did not handle low frequency bass very well. Once turned up, the bass distorts. Therefore the system was poor for rap and reggae, but it was fine for classical and rock. Anyone know Alpine cannot handle the bass? The Pioneer DEH 740 was hands down much better.

I was born and raised on Alpine....it sounds so nice, especially with Alpine R subs. Yeah they are a little more expensive but you get the bang for your buck...trust me. Some of my friends are interested in Eclipse stuff, and I dont know a whole lot about it, they say its nice, but Alpine all the way.

Ti-gg-er
I like PIONEER, Its what TIGGER's like best!!!!

SKiNNa
Unregistered guest
From all these posts, you can see there's a lot of I LOVE PIONEER and I LOVE ALPINE. Ask any car stereo sales expert WHO SELLS BOTH Alpine and Pioneer brands, and they will tell you Alpine pisses all over Pioneer.

Silver Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 957
I was a dealer for both Pioneer Premier, and Alpine, as well as Eclipse.

Unregistered guest
I sell alpine/pioneer/clarion/eclipse/panasonic etc etc
Worked in car audio for many years now.
You want to get the alpine. In terms of sound quality/reliability/features alpine if far ahead of pioneer. Pioneer doesent specialize in car audio, alpine does. Another option would be an eclipse deck. That would be a comparison. Alpine vs Pioneer is not a comparison. Unless you have a fet-ish for the dolphins.

Bronze Member
Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 15
I would go with Pioneer myself because you have more audio control and more audio features in pioneer. Although with Alpine you do get some nice crisp highs. Then again it does depend a little. If you getting a complete system then you would want a pioneer (trust me).

punanybros
Unregistered guest
Alpine has always been popular for years and has sold a lot of units based on hype and gullibility. I am not disputing alpine's quality or duraility but it is hype that has driven the price up so high especially from crap talkers who heard something from the guy who heard something about alpine. Based on price to quality ratio there are a lot of better deals than alpine. It all depends on who does your install and how well the other components are and tuned and whether you are using a separate preamp(equalizer)etc or whether you wish to get a head unit with one bulit in. So my advice is unless you are a soundoff freak or take part in sound off competitions regularly or money is no object, go with what you find sounds good for the price range you want and support the underdogs if possible so that they will continue to be around to prevent an alpine monopoly and promote fairer prices even from alpine.

Mr Alpine
Unregistered guest
ALpine. alpine have outclassed pioneer so many times. i would greatly sugest alpine

Anonymous

i was originally going to get the Alpine 7874EB for $499 installed, untill someone told me that the Pioneer 4650 for $459 installed, would be better for price and features. i dont realy care about the price i just want to know which one wood sound better and sound best with the amps and subs. and which one wood have more power for them....please tell me which wood be better

el profundo
Unregistered guest
Personally, Ive been through four brands. Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine. All priced around $300-$400. And by far the Alpine blows them all out the window. There is no greater sound and fine-tuning ability than an Alpine. Simply the best overall achievement of sound reproduction.

Bronze Member
Username: Steveo

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 46
I have tried two Pioneer and three Apline decks. The Alpine is build better and therefore has better quality. Not to mention Alpine stands by their product (long story, but trust that my deck was out of warentee and installed imporperly and Alpine fixed for FREE. The sound quality is hands down better on the alpine. Sounds like you have a good set of components; go Alpine. I got the CDA-9813 for $219 open box at circuit city. It has six channel digital time correction, high 60 watt RMS pwr, foliding/removable face, EQ, X-over. All the necesities without all the needless bells and whistles... Good luck,
STeveo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us