Does amping up speakers really help? Serious.

Bronze Member
Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 87
Hey all. I was wondering, does amping up your speakers really help, I mean, is it worth it? I have supposedly 22watts of rms coming from the pioneer head unit to my 2 Alpine type S 6x9 and 2 Memphis Audio 6 1/2(http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=92 older model of these)

I noticed that when I had my stock radio in the car, the speakers sounded awesome for some reason, as well having much more bass. But, since putting in the pioneer, the highs are awesome, but lows are almost non existant. Ive fiddled with the 3700mp for hours on the equalizer and still nothing thats awesome sounding. It distorts way to much when you have it sounding great at medium ranged levels. I would put in the stock, but theres no cd player, just a tape player .....meh!

Also, I used to have subs, but boy that bass got to me eventually. I want to be able to crank these speakers up, get a somewhat decent amount of bass and keep the highs as are. Basically, the way I have it sounding right now isnt to bad, and everyone thinks it sounds good, but will I notice a dramatic difference if I give each speaker 50 watts of rms? I mean, should I even bother or are these going to cluster muck up and distort on loud volumes too.

Argh, I wish you could buy stock cd players online, cuz these pioneers have been real dissapointing to me.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3788
Once you get an aftermarket head unit, the speakers in the doors no longer should be playing bass as the subwoofer should handle the bass.

However, an amplifier would greatly improve the clarity and loudness of the speakers. You will notice a very big difference by using an external amplfier. And for getting more bass, you'll definitely get it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Well, like I stated. I no longer have subwoofers due to the fact that they just gave out way to much. I just like the cheap popping bass from speakers better lately (specially with the recent enforcement of sound levels from police in my local areas.)

So at least I know ill be getting more bass out of the speakers if I get an amp as well as better clarity. But, will I have to turn it all the way up to near deaf sound levels to get this, or will it be good in all volume ranges?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3790
It should be good at all volume ranges.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Sounds good, im still skeptical about spending the money, but I guess you got to do what you got to do!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3792
An excellent, well-priced amp that would definitely be worth looking into would be an older PPI PC series amp, they sound great and most are less than $200 on ebay (for four channel versions, the two channels go for about $100 depending on RMS requirements). http://cgi.ebay.com/PPI-PC-450-JL-Rockford-Zapco-US-Amps_W0QQitemZ230013871886QQ ihZ013QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Sounds good.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1737
get an amp! hehe

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 894
a watt is a watt jexx, remember, just to let you know if you didnt a watt that isnt distorted is the same as any other watt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Well, my buddy of mine said he would give me a 2 channel amp for $20. He said it works fine, and if it doesn't then he wont have a problem giving me my money back. Each channel pumps out I think 45-55 watts of rms, can't remember for sure, but one of the two. I was thinking about amping up the rear speakers with it, since those are the "power" speakers of my sound system. Think its worth the $20 to amp up the rear's and not the fronts? Eventually (if I notice a huge sound change) I will amp up the front's as well. Thoughts as to if its worth it?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11511
night and day. an amplifier will give better midbass response from your mids, and bring the front stage to life compared to a head unit.
Worth every penny if you have decent door speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1485
^^^^holy hell the legendary glasswolf
way b4 my time...wuts up man?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3906

quote:

a watt is a watt jexx, remember, just to let you know if you didnt a watt that isnt distorted is the same as any other watt

Yeah, I've read Richard Clark's challenge multiple times, and when a watt gets distored (can happen at even moderate listening levels) then you have a different sound. That's why the higher quality amps with good design sound better.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11513
not too much.
been busy this Summer with a few things. Kept me away from the boards mostly.

Figured I'd pop in and see what's new.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 547
wow glass its been months, you should go to " j designs . info " (everything in quotes minus spaces)

Bronze Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 63
It makes a huge difference. The Amp in a average headunit is about the size of a chapstik cylinder. I just got my Diamond Audio D3400.4 running 4 infinity kappas and I couldn't be happier. The amp really livened up my speakers and got hella louder.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
But will it be fine for now with just the rears? Not sound way funny ect?

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 55
if you still have the sub and all that, why dont you just put it back in and turn the gain way down on the amp? that should keep it from being too loud if it annoys you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
No longer have it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us