WTH?

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 299
So I just finished my first system and was testing it all out today (and it hits LOW! I'll get a pic thread goin soon...). After about a half hour of driving my amp cut out. I got home, checked everything, and all was well connection wise. Checked the fuses, a.o.k. Checked the amp, not fried. Everything looked good.At this point I was stumped, and getting pissed.

All the sudden, it kicked back on. I pop my trunk open, and it cuts out again! I close it, it goes back on! It's now like this all the time. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ground wire since its connected to the trunk latch. Can anybody enlighten me here?

Username: Bayrent88

Post Number: 4
its either your ground or you could be over loading you amp. what amp is it? what do you have hooked up to it? you could be putting to low of an ohm load on it, making the amp go into protect. i had an amp do that to me before. is the amp hot when it shuts off

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 301
It's a RF X7. I'm running it at 2ohm to 2 L7 15's in a series, so I don't think its an ohm load problem. The protect light doesn't go on, it just shuts completely off. It's not overheating. When the trunk is closed, the amp is on. When the trunk is open, it shuts off.

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 538
yea mine did that when i got to loud or when the amo got hot, rewired my sub its all good now

Post Number: 5
well then i would say check you ground. check your grounds coming off your battery to your chasis to, they may be loose or something.

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 303
I've come to the conclusion that ^^^^^^ could be the problem, as well as my amp ground may be too long (could be right?), or I wired the subs wrong... I'm gonna check it out now

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1576
check

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1309
I'll bet it's something to do with where it's grounded, not actually being grounded to the chassis, however, when he closes his trunk, a part of the chassis locks into the latch from his trunk, thus grounding the amp and powering it back on.

That's why there would be no protect light when he opened his trunk - just the amp turning completely off.

Some amps will still go into protect in this situation - being grounded via the RCA's, others will not.. and not sure on that specific model, but this seems like it could very well be the problem IMO.

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 304
See the weird thing is it wasn't like this until it after it shut off the first time. And the amp is starting to overheat now, so something must be wired wrong... It got dark so I'm gonna have to check it out tomorrow morning before Warped Tour :-) I'd like to have the damn thing running for the ride!

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 305
didnt bump

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 306
Ok, everything is wired right. I even ran one sub at 4ohm and the amp is still overheating. I'm starting to think the amp is the problem...

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 545
is your power wire getting hot, or your ground? your amp could be getting hot from tryin to suck power through real small wires, think of the wires like straw, the bigger the straw the more you get...

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 308
I have 4ga all around and thats the max my amp accepts. All my electrical is stock but that shouldn't matter this much... I don't know if this is relevant but my HU gets real hot along with the RCA's plugged into it from the amp. This just sucks :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
so did you ever figure it out
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us