Toasted 2nd amp in a row..

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 294
Alright heres what happened... I brought my car to the audio store and they did a headunit and amp install. I'd do it myself but I don't have the patience to work on an 03 Jetta.. The head unit is a Clarion Dxz855mp. I've got an Optima Yellow top with 0 gauge wire to the trunk where it connects to a distribution block. Off the distribution block there is a 5 inch piece of 4 gauge going into the amp [Recoil RED 1000.1 1000rms @ 1 ohm] with a 4 gauge ground. When they hooked it up it played music for a little then blew all 4 35amp fuses on the amp.. They replaced the fuses then instead of the fuses on the amp blowing the two 80amps inside the distribution block blew, then the amp smoked. They got me a new amp in and I picked it up and thought I'd go ahead and hook it up cuz there was a comp this weekend. I noticed their ground wire was quite loose so I tightened it up and proceeded to hook everything up. Everything was hooked up and I bridged the amp to a 1 ohm load to a Memphis LVS 15" wired in parallel. All connections were tight so I flipped my breaker under the hood and turned the stereo on. The amp had power and the sub was playing. I then started to ajust the gain and bass boost. The instant I touched the gain the fuses blew in the amp, and then the same thing followed as what was described that happened in the audio store. I'm confused to which why this is happening. The only thing I came up with is the amp is drawing too much current abd the problem persists with the 0 gauge | distribustion block | 4 gauge. I honestly do not know. Can anyone tell me what is going on?!1?

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 521
never heard or recoil amps anyway, probly garbage. dont really know whats up with it

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 296
Anyone have a clue, cuz ive got none either :-(

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 292
Couldn't tell ya... what else are you running off the distribution block?

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 298
nothing, 0 gauge straight to the distribution block but off that just 1 4 gauge wire to the amp..

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1465
if the amp is a garbage is a very well covered (4x35A fuse). Maybe you set the gain to the max, match it to your HU preamp voltage

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 295
I know it's off topic but why would you run 0ga only to run 4ga? I'm guessing you have future plans. But yeah I really don't know what to say. Very weird problem...

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 313
uh^^^^ thats what most peole do...... yuo probably dont have your stuff hooked up right like the extra battery i dont know how to connect a second battery but talk to someone that has see how they have it wired. Most people on shps are id!ots anyway...

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpionzero454

Post Number: 65
Take the distribution block off and ground out your amp, and run 0 gauge straight to your amp. If your amp doesn't accept it, then get reducers and use as short a piece of 4 ga as possible. If you continue to turn the gain up and you blow fuses, then you might not have enough power for the amp, you may need a second battery, alt, or something.

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 300
The amp won't accept 0 gauge and the 4 gauge is already as short as it can be from the distance of the amp to the distribution block. Its right about 4-5 inches. The gains and bass boost were all the way down, I just really don't know what to think lol. The sub is wired right for the amp and even if it wasn't the amp should have gone into protection. The strange thing is this all happened at a lower volume so it should not have been drawing that much currect. That and considering I was in the midst of adjusting it all the sub was barely on when it happened. I know my gain should be set to 4 volts, thats what my output is on my Clarion, but thats not whats causing my amps to fry. I mean they literally fry, smoke, so forth. Quite fun until your in a hurry to pull them out of the car in fear that the car might catch on fire :-).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
I don't know what to tell you, try a different car audio shop

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 303
I hooked the second amp up myself.. lol. idk what is wrong. oh btw.. for a second battery I was told I needed an isolator? is that true? my last setup I just had two batteries wired together.. well of course they had their own grounds but the + termials were connected together... would be fun to wire them in series and see how long an amp would take 24 volts :P

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
If you have to batteries hooked up together, you need an isolator, i just had to buy one today. But if the two batteries are the same brand, then you don't need an isolator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
they have to be the same model and size too

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 304
I was just gonna use my stock battery and my optima yellow top to save some money... what'd the isolator cost you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
It depends on the size of the alternator
I have a ac delco 130 amp alternator, so i needed to have at least a 130 amp isolator, so i went with the stinger 160 amp. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003%26item%3D130007738374%26&ss pagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 305
says it was removed or no longer available.. ill have to figure out what my stock alt is on the jetta.. either way my amp should still not be frying, thats my main concern. I'm boggled..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
well it costs like $130 shipped

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 306
not bad.. that'll be my next upgrade after my amp issues are sorted out. pisses me off because i went through the trouble of fixing this damn memphis lvs for the audio comp today and i could not go due to the amp frying.. sigh.. can't wait till i get my re sx back and get some kind of power that will push it without it going kamikaze.. hopefully someone will know whats wrong .. a poor ground or a short would not cause it would it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
I'm about to get an 18" lvs, compared to different subs how does the 15 sound, do you know how many dbs you hit.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1270
I have seen two different batteries wired together, Isolator is not needed unless you are worried about killing the starter battery while sitting. Polo.

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 307
i like the SX better than the lvs but im just using this till i get it back.. far as dbs idk cuz i have not been metered on a TL with it. btw polo.. you helped me with the battery issue now fix my amp issue :P

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3060
all i can think of is check your power and ground wires at the amp and make sure you are seeing at about 12.5V. (14V+ if car is running)

you may have a VERY bad ground.

also, make 110% sure your ground and power dont touch.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 527
oh i have an idea

i think your amp may be groudning itself.

make sure that your amp is not touching any metal including the mounting screws to the chasis. try mounting it on a peice of wood and the wood to the chasis

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 308
you know that could be it... its mounted to the side of my trunk but the mounting screws go back and possibly hit metal. I did not have to worry about the last amps I had because they had an aluminum casing but these are metal..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us