Installing a HU for the first time, need some pointers plz

Bronze Member
Username: Ekul

Post Number: 15
ok i wanna get this installed today if i could, i looked around at some sites and found out how to remove my factory stereo for my 87 buick century. took a while and just let me say that panel isn't goin back on til i install my new cd player! :P, anyway i guess i'm following this guide http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/pdfs/receiver_guide.pdf and ima go to the store and buy some crimping tools, i think that's all i need. but another question, i've been reading somethin about a wiring harness, and i might need a universal one or one specifically for my car? i kno one came with my cd player, but i dunno if that'll work with it. could u point me to any other sites that'll help? i could post pics to. ty

Bronze Member
Username: Ekul

Post Number: 16
i think the the harness that came wit my cd player is just the power... i was talking about this http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOGM01B do i need that?

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 608
wire harness's jsut make it easier to install the cd player, but you can hard wire directly to the wires that went to ur stock radio (by either crimping,soldering,taping...) but if its ur first install then go out and buy the specefic harness to your car there not expensive and will make it much easier, all the instructions for doing the wiring come with the harness...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3710
NEVER cut the existing harness. It looks like crap and makes everything harder. By the time you hardwire it, you will have spent close to the same amount of money in materials as you would have in simply buying the harness.

In addition, when you sell the car or whatnot, all you have to do is unplug the aftermarket stereo and just plug in the stock deck.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2782
much much easier :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us