Are MTX subs as good as they say they are?

Anonymous
One of my boys was dissen My pioneer sayin they are the worst brand and he said MTX is the best becaus his uncle goes to compitions and wins wiht them. I know MTX is loud but does it have good sound quility?

Derek
MTX are very good. I use a lot of 10" 8000s and for small enclosures they cannot be matched FOR THE MONEY ($150). They aren't the best, but they are good. Kickers are better but cost more.

I am sad to say Pioneer does not make the greatest spakers. I have heard some of thier 6x9 and they sound pretty good (especially those cheap horn-tweater version they were selling acouple of years ago). Infinity and MB Quart are better though. Their Woofers are much worse. I have a spreadsheet with about 300 drivers on it sorted by which woofers go down the deepest and Pioneer first hit the radar at position number 205.

I've purchase some of the Pioneer drivers and measured their Thiel-Small parameters and even when Pioneer gives the spec they are, how can I say...

Optimistic.

If you want woofers on the cheap, go with Rockford Fostgate or visit www.partsexpress.com. They have about 100 drivers at all prices. Their real sleeper is part number 290-365. It's a 12 inch driver with a rubber surround. It doesn't handle much power (100 watts RMS) but when installed free-air (20 cuft) it goes down to 23 Hz. In the right ported box it can go down to 14 Hz! They only cost $50 and for systems under 250 watts, they can't be beat.

Anonymous
MTX sux, I hate them

rockfordsponcerd
for one i do basscomp for Rockford fosgate and everone i roll with has rockford or JL's and i do basscomp in california,Chicogo,and go to the car/speaker shows in New York i meen i have 6 18in HX2's with 3 fan cool amps just in one of my cars and you could say i win alot of$$$$$ And i have binn doing this sents i was 15 and now i'm 25 so i know what i'm talking about.I've only went up aginst one person with MTX's and it wasn't bad but it wasn't grate eather.I would say go with somthing with a little more bass in the trunk and somthing with more clairidy in your car that way you the best of the best allaround.

mtx are very good quality, but don't put as much bass so they get ranked on.

Alex
If your going for SPL, MTX probably isn't the greatest, but they're very good in the way of sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us