Archive through January 02, 2006

Driven Insane
Unregistered guest
Bisbee, could you be more specific on the broken parts that they gave you back? The parts supplier to Clarion only stocks about 6 parts. They said the spindle motor was the most common part ordered. The service manual is $20.00. I tried calling FuqNISSAN but was never called back.

ceariko
Unregistered guest
I tried calling FuqNISSAN as well but was told I had a wrong number. Has anyone been able to contact him and get the instructions he was offering? I keep getting the err2 error when it tries to play the CD, but load/eject works fine. There were never any CDs stuck in the tray. I have the changer open on my table but I see no obviously 'broken' pieces.

Bisbee
Unregistered guest
Driven Insane. Unfortunately i threw out the spindles (for lack of a better description), but if memory serves, they were both about 1 to 1.5 inches long and 1/8 inch diameter. Looked like bits for a Dremel tool. They had metal drive shafts with plastic gears that were chipped/worn (great design, Clarion!). Hope that helps. BTW, i never had problems with getting disks in or out like some here, the disks would just never spin up to play - click, click, click, ERR2...
Also BTW, i misspoke in my previous email. I bought the Pathfinder used from a toyota dealership. I tried to get Nissan to fix the original problem, but it was like two weeks past the 3 year warranty when i took it in. Nissan told me they couldn't help, except to sell me a new one. It was the toyota used car dealership that had it fixed for free, even though it was not covered by their warranty. Toyota +5, Nissan -10.

Username: Spradio

BREINIGSVILLE, PA United States

Post Number: 1
The 2001 Pathfinder in dash 6 disk changer is Clarion product model # PN-2302N. It was only built for 2001 Pathfinders. They will all fail before the vehicle wears out. Generally, in dash multiple CD changers are among the most costly car stereo devices today regarding repair cost, and the most likely to fail. There are several brands, and as far as I know, they are all OEM application only. They are: Matsushita (Panasonic), Clarion, Pioneer, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu. I like the Matsushita and Pioneer units best since they are the most repairable, although the consumer does not get to pick the brand purchased by the auto manufacturer. The Fujitsu units are beyond economical repair. Fujitsu told me they do mechanism replacement only.

Now, regarding the Clarion PN-2302N for 2001 pathfinder, the lowest cost repair solution is to send it to Clarion yourself with a $110.00 check. They will repair and return it freight included. That is an excellent price for repair of an in dash multiple disk changer. The total time for transit and repair is about 3-4 weeks if you are in eastern US. The outgoing UPS shipping cost is about $5.00 for shippers, slightly more if you use a service. You get 3 months warranty, and they modify units to bring them up to the latest specs. Ship to: CLARION CORPORATION 661 WEST REDONDO BEACH BOULEVARD GARDENA CALIFORNIA 90247-4201, phone# 800-347-8667.

United Radio sends them to Clarion and adds a charge of their own so just do it yourself. Removal is easy. Check here for removal instructions: http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNispthfndr03StrR.htm.htm for instructions. Do not send the radio to Clarion, only the changer. They do not need the radio to do the repair. You can play the radio in the mean time without the CD changer connected.

There is a lot of confusion about Bose car stereo. Bose NEVER made a car radio or CD changer...EVER. The OEM products marketed as BOSE are actually the same brands as the standard equipment. The standard small internal amplifier is omitted in the radio and a large external amplifier and upgrade speakers installed and the "BOSE" graphics are added to the radio face. There are no changes/upgrades to the tuners or cassette or CD mechanisms.

The main brands for OEM in the foreign car market are Alpine, Clarion, Matsushita (Panasonic), Pioneer, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, Delco/GM. Yes Delco makes radios for foreign vehicles including VW and Toyota! It is a world market today and it seems anything can happen. Mitsubishi is the only car manufacturer that makes their own car audio. In the domestic market, the big 3 make their own while at the same time, they purchase some units from the above brands. In all cases, the Ford, GM, and Chrysler made units always employ imported cassette or CD mechanisms. We never made a cassette or CD mechanism for car audio in the US.

Tone
Unregistered guest
Some questions for Steve Colsten (you seem knowledgeable..)

Does the Clarion upgrade help prevent this problem in the future?

Is there any relationship between the use of CDRs and the Clarion failures?

As suggested, I sent my PN-2302N to Clarion about 2 weeks ago. I'll report back when it's returned.

The Clarion rep I talked to in their service dept. (before I sent the unit in) went out of his way to discourage me from sending the unit to them, pushing hard for me to have my Nissan dealer repair the unit ($300, and Somerset Nissan was going to send it to Clarion anyway.) Every time I asked the Clarion guy a question, he always prefaced the answer with a speech about how I would be better off if I didn't deal directly with Clarion. I must have heard the same rap a dozen times. It bordered on rude.

I spoke with the guy at Willman's Electronics (very nice and helpful!) They wanted about $200, but it was pretty clear that they too were going to send the unit to Clarion.

Both Willman's and Somerset Nissan did offer a one year warranty (I still had to remove & re-install the unit.) Guess that covers one or two more trips back to Clarion.

Finally, removal of the CD changer was a PITA. The phillips head of one of the two screws at the top of the dash was pretty stripped. I wound up cutting a flat head screwdriver slot in the screw head with a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to file the slot. Also, the four phillips head screws holding the CD changer to the side brackets were incredibly tight. I thought for sure they were in with Loctite (they weren't.) It took a large handle screwdriver and a set of vise grips on the handle to get the screws unstuck. I almost gave up!

My main motivation to fix the Clarion instead of installing an aftermarket unit relates to the resale value of the car. As long as the CD changer works, most buyers won't know about the specific problems of a 2001 Pathfinder, but would be turned off by a non-virgin dash, especially a "Bose" system that had been hacked. Just my opinion...

Username: Spradio

BREINIGSVILLE, PA United States

Post Number: 2
Engineering modifications made to these units are in response to known design problems and are intended to improve reliability. Do not expect these modifications to positively prevent future failure.

As far as CDR'S, I can tell you that some manufacturers are prohibiting CDR'S in multiple disk in dash CD changers. Further, it is absolutely not recommended that a CD with any type of label or tape applied be inserted. This can even cause problems in single CD automotive players, but to a lesser degree. If you are going to take a chance using CDR'S, label them with a permanent marker.

Inspect your CDR'S!!!
The problem with CDR'S is out of spec thickness, warping, and burrs on the outside edge. Do a physical inspection for flatness by laying them on a flat surface and press down on the center, then flip it over and do it again. You will readily see that CD'S in general are not all flat.

Labels add thickness! They also change the coefficient of friction which affects loading. Labels that cover the entire CD will always cause warping in time from unequal stress as the label ages and shrinks. CDR'S can also be too thick right off the stack.

So what should you do? I have tested units with a full stack of CDR'S and saw no problem at all. I have also seen a single bad disk jam the unit every time it is inserted, while the same disk will load and play in a single disk player with no problem.

The broad quality range of CDR'S has therefore caused manufacturers to prohibit them as policy. Good CDR'S will work. It is up to you to decide what to do.

Geop
Unregistered guest
My turn. 2001 Pathfinder/66.5K mi/Err2/Harry Potter now mute and captive inside the Clarion. Will try the dealership as 1st attempt @ solution. Will advise on progress.

Geop
Unregistered guest
Update: stopped by Cerritos Nissan. Have Security+Plus-Silver warranty; doesn't cover the CD changer. Discussion with service manager was cordial and professional and I calmly showed him my 30-page printout of this thread and explained that Nissan was getting some bad press. Apparently, Clarion is not high on their list either and his comments echoed thread opinion. He provided some key numbers to service rep and obtained approval for courtesy warranty coverage by Nissan. New changer ordered; will be a refurb unit, but at least will be free. Est 1 wk to get unit. The CDs trapped inside (renamed 'Harry Potter, Prisoner of Clarion') will not be removed by Nissan during the unit changeout and are supposed to be extracted by the refurb facility and sent to me. So far, reasonable on the surface.

Anonymous

The same story happened to me. Pathfinder 2001 SE 45K miles. The CD changer shows the ERR2 up after the clicking sound. The failure happened when I tried to eject disc6 some weeks ago.I gonna try to get it fixed by Clarion.

Update it will come later!

Tone
Unregistered guest
Well... Steve was right - CD labels are a bad idea! I never use 'em, but a friend had mailed me his band's CD and I put it in my Clarion changer. Didn't even look at the CD. Got my changer back from Clarion repair today along with a neat plastic bag of CDs. Wouldn't you know it but my buddy's band is sending out CDs with paper labels.

Just for the record, Clarion received my CD changer on Oct. 25, and sent it back out after repair on Nov. 4. Ten calendar days to repair, plus a round trip cross country via UPS. Not bad. And... so far it works.

Details on Clarion's repair sheet.

Description of repair:
Modification/Countermeasure - Sled Mechanism
Modification/Countermeasure - Loading Mechanism

Parts Used:
HBS491100 - Shaft Sub Assy For PN2302NA
MOD296R1 - MOD296R1 for Model PN2301
MOD297R1 - MOD297R1 for Model PN2301
MOD298 - MOD298 for Model PN2301

I will definitely pay attention to what kind of CDs I shove into the changer from now on!

heat
Unregistered guest
This is the 2nd Pathfinder I have purchased. I had a 96 model and the cd player went out 4 months after I bought it. I bought my second in Feb. 2005 and it is a 01 model. Shortly after purchase (about 5 months and 63,000 miles) my 6 disc changer also gave the error2 message with the lil clickty click noises. I just recently had the chance to talk to my local SM and explained what happened. He also informed me that I could buy a new unit for "about $1100" or I could have it sent to some place in California to be repaired for "about $250". We were in conversation about 5mins and he asked me "is it a 01 Pathfinder?" I quickly replied (shocked to say the least) "how the heck did you know that?" His response was "just a lucky guess". Now my question is...If all these people at Corporate Nissan have never heard of these problems we are all having with our systems then how is it that this lil guy at a dealership in PODUNK Tn. knew all about the problems? I really hate to say that I will never buy another Nissan again ,because I really love my Pathfinder, but if it is not fixed at no expense to me then I guess I will have to go elsewhere. It really bothers me that Nissan hasn't put a recall on these CD changers but it has been told to me that a company will not issue a recall unless it is a safety issue. I intend to copy all of these complaints and take them to that same SM and ask him to explain why he failed to inform me that he knew of all these problems. A big THANKS to all of you that have supplied the information needed to take this a big step further. I will get back to all of you if the problem is resolved or if I can find out any other information that could possibly help. :-) Heat

Anonymous

Add me to the list...

My 6 CD changer was DOA (er 2) when I purchased the Pathfinder from A mossy Nissan in San Diego with only at 35,000 miles! When I returned the next day to complain, the sales manager sent me to someone in service and they replaced it for free (though it was three weeks to get the unit back for installation). I had emailed Bose concerning the lack of ipod integration on their audio products and received the same information someone else listed above: The Bose upgraded Nissan stereo's are for the power amp/speakers only. What a bunch of crap! If there is a group action of some kind, you can email me at bom619@cox.net.

Anonymous

Mine has broken twice: once at 40K and now at 60K (Err2 on the crappy Clarion changer). Clarion states it is because of using CD-Rs. Mine had no labels.
My next project is not to spend the at least $100 to repair as there is no guarantee it will break again. I'm going to an MP3 player by Rockford Fosgate: DMP1....

Let me know if anyone puts together a class action lawsuit....

bccturbo
Unregistered guest
Nice thread...glad I found it, well, sort of!!!

Surpise surprise...My '01 Pathfinder LE (69k) changer bit it with Err2 about a month ago. Bought the car from CarMax last December and, not surprisingly, they won't touch it. I do, however, have an inside contact at Regal Nissan that's going to get it taken care of at no cost.

I took it out tonight to see if I could find out what the problem is. Put on the bench and applied power to all of the motors just to get a better understanding of the mechanics and unload all cd's. What I found:

The sled mechanism (gels with Tone's post above) that the laser is mounted on is supposed to move all the way to center and activate an arm that disengages the three clamps on the spindle. These clamps hold the cd to the spindle during operation. It just so happens that one of the nylon gears that turns the cam (that moves the laser in/out) has a crack going all the way through it and prevents the laser from moving. I powered the motor that drives the laser mechanism and guess what familiar noise I heard. When I removed the player, this mechanism was partially resting on the sensor that activates the load/unload mechanism. The sensor was not binding in any way. Mind you, the sensor wasn't fully depressed, but in limbo if you will. Didn't have time to pull out the multi-meter to get a reading off of the sensor. It also wasn't activating the arm to disengage the spindle clamps. Lacked about another 3-4mm to get to that point.

Why they don't just upgrade these related gears with metal ones is beyond me. A bit of good news for me...I was able to tinker with the motors enough to unload ALL of the cd's that were in the unit before I checked out everything else. Interesting design, just not made with reliable enough materials for such a tiny little intricate POS changer!!! The gears of which I speak are very small and fragile and I can see why they would fail after repeated loading/unloading over the years.

Paul-88
Unregistered guest
For posterity's sake add another one to the list. My 01 pathfinder started with the Err2 message last night and will not unload or play any cd's. The clarion repair sounds viable, but I don't want to spend more money on something that will break again. Thanks for all the posts.

Mike318
Unregistered guest
Add another to the list 2001 Pathfinder 60K miles received ERR2 on the display. After reading all these messages I realized it's not something I had done but a much bigger problem. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to spread this information.

DR
Unregistered guest
Add me to the list. The story is getting old: 1)get the clicking and Err2 message 2) Research a solution on the net 3) Find this forum and realize you are screwed.

I have called two local dealers and Nissan1. They were all nice and polite, but none of them would fix my CD changer for free.

I guess I will plan on taking it out myself and sending it to Clarion for $110. Thank you to whoever posted those removal instructions.

Nedless to say this experience has destoyed my impression of Nissan. I certainly will be gald to tell anyone that will listen why they shouldn't buy a Nissan.

Username: Lazyguy

Please add me to the list too (77K). I hate to hear the click..click..click's sound cuz it's very so annoyed and irritate. Is it possible to purchase a different model and replace the clarion? Please shed some lights.

LG

Unregistered guest
I got my call back from Nissan, and they pretty much said Nissan is aware of the issue, but has decided not to make a recall and that any problems with this CD changer will be the consumer's responsibility. Your only hope would be that your local dealer may fix it as a courtesy if you are a good customer and he doesn't want to lose your business. Nissan has already lost my business.

I basically have two options, because I do care about the appearance of the radio/CD changer:
1) Pull this out myself and send it to Clarion, then hope I get another 5 years out of it.
2) Find an aftermarket replacement that is a "perfect" fit.

I will probably go with option #1 unless I find a good option #2 on this forum.

I would love to find a radio with a single disk CD player and XM radio that would fit perfect into the existing space of the radio and CD changer. Does anyone know of something like this?

Thanks,
DR

pissed off le
Unregistered guest
Add me too! 2001 Pf- same problem. I am having fixed locally for under $300. I checked Ebay, this might help some people. Click on the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26,1%26item%3D801287103 2&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

pissed off le
Unregistered guest
ok, link doesn't work. THere is a guy on eBay who fixes these for less than $200. His id is xw1600.
Good luck to all!

DR
Unregistered guest
Why would you pay a guy from ebay $200 to fix these when Clarion will do it for $125 with a 90 day warranty?

Also, I guess I am going to go ahead and have mine repaired because even if i found an aftermarket that fit my steering wheel controls wouldn't work.

Driven Insane
Unregistered guest
You can find several single-disk decks on Crutchfield that are XM capable and fit a Pathfinder. I believe you have to buy the $45.00 adaptor as well to work with the Bose amp.

I'm still working on mine. It doesn't look as though any of the gears are stripped however. There is a lot of torque required to move the carriage assembly up and down. Seems as though mine's gummed up enough to be too much for the worm gear to lift, so instead it 'jumps' and produces the click,click,click sound a lot of people are hearing. There's another worm gear/motor that moves the cartridge assembly to the correct position in order to eject the disks. It too can jump and produce a similiar clicking sound. If you can't eject your disks it's probably this motor that's slipping.

I'm going to re-grease both and test.

pissed off le
Unregistered guest
Guy on eBay charges 180. I can get mine done locally for 265. You can send it to Clarion, but you might be waiting a month or longer. I want my player back sooner than that. I was told it will take a couple of days for my local guy to fix. I hate to have a hole in my dash.

bccturbo
Unregistered guest
Driven, did you read my post above?

eecwk
Unregistered guest
great info - we've been looking for this for a while now. thanks from another unhappy err2 victim.

I'm going to Clarion for the fix.

DR
Unregistered guest
Clarion told me expect a 10 - 15 day turnaround over the phone. I took mine out this morning and it is really pretty simply. Took about 10 minutes to get teh AC vents out, but after that it is a piece of cake. I'm shipping mine to Clarion Monday morning, so I'll let everyone know what my turnaround time is when I get it back.

It still pisses me off Nissan isn't fixing these for free!!!

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 155
Izusu had the same issues, they tried to talk me into it, I Just put an aftermarket in under the seat, alot less money and better product. sending the units to be fixed is great, but believe me it is just a bandaid. replace the radio or just put a changer in the rear.

Driven Insane
Unregistered guest
Bccturbo, I hadn't seen your post. Thanks for the research. I just checked mine and you're correct, the small gear that drives the shaft that moves the head in and out is cracked in half. I never would have noticed that. Ugh. Too far in to try and mess with. Off to Clarion it goes. Might try the dealer first though. Thanks again.

Anonymous

I have the same problem with my 04 Altima. Apparently the problem is across the board.

Anonymous

01 Pathfinder 52K on it with the same problem.
Has anyone tried to fix it themselves?

Geop
Unregistered guest
Got call from Cerritos Nissan today (11/16/05) that replacement CD changer arrived; made appt and they changed unit today at no charge. System works just fine. Unless Clairon actually improved the hardware, hope to get another 50K use out of it. I can't complain about Nissan response to the problem. Cerritos Nissan, anyway, appears to be credible and deserves credit for customer service and standing behind their product. I would hesitate to pay anyone for this repair; suggest going directly to the service manager with a printout of this thread, be firm and polite and let them know that you're going to add comments to this and name names. Try different dealerships if possible, but don't pay Clarion to fix this! I'll let you know if my system turns south, but for now I'm satisfied. Good luck to you all and thanks for the thread ... its well worth it and consumer power. Use it!

pitta
Unregistered guest
One more to add, Nissan Xterra, 2003 (34K mile). Does anyone know if the CD player is covered under warrenty ? I called Nissan Consumer Care, they asked me to check with the nearest Dealer.

Unregistered guest
Sirs,

I operate a car audio service center in dallas tx. the pathfinder failure is very common as you know. we charge 150.00 plus parts out of the car, parts charge is @ 65.00. we would be happy to assit anyone who has this problem. call me if you want to know exactly what the failure is. 972-690-8115.

Username: Kevin_savoie

New-Brunswick Canada

LOL. I just bought a 2002 SE-R Spec V and I get an err2. Thankfully theres only 1 in there. Car has 34700 miles. Would anyone know what brand cd-changer it is?

Unregistered guest
Interesting. I have a 2001 QX4 w/65K miles with the same issue. Just happend yesterday in fact. Honestly, I just want to dump the thing anyway, so I probably won't fix it.

On the other hand, it might be quite fun to call and pester the $h!t out Infiniti :-)

Anonymous

I have same problem with my 02 Pathfinder CD changer...Click, click, click. Its driving me nuts. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs today. When asked if it was a chronic problem, they didnt give me a definitive answer. Im hoping they will repair or replace my unit, but Im not counting on it. If anyone has a solution, please post.

Anonymous

Wow, it sucks to be me too! I cannot believe how common this is. Yesterday, my 01 Pathfinder CD changer got the err2 message @64K, all 6 locked in. Since the dealer where I purchased the car is in Westminster, CA and I am stationed in Washington State, I am going straight to Nissan Corp. Based on the info above, I am going to have a battle on my hands. I will pass on additional info as I find out.

Anonymous

Nissan Consumer affairs has directed me to the Dealership. They said that there is a new system for handling this problem with the Clarion CD changer and it is in the hands of the dealer. They may or may not decided to change it. Nissan has washed their hands of the problem for now, but they said they will provide assistance from their end in correspondence with the dealer.

Bisbee
Unregistered guest
A follow-up. Sent my CD changer into Clarion, paid my $110, and got it back 8 days after they received it. They did not answer my request for a description of the problem, but listed 4 replacement parts that are apparently a modification to the original design, so hopefully this improves reliability. It came with a 90 day warranty. I re-installed it, and it works well. I looked into replacing the CD player with an aftermarket one, and Crutchfield does have a decent solution, but i wanted to keep the factory stereo for resale value, and because they tend to get ripped off less often. For me, this was the easiest/cheapest solution and hopefully, a lasting one. I hope you all find sympathetic dealerships, and thanks to all for information and suggestions.

Username: Nikkih54

I found this message board because I was having the same problem as all of you. I have an '03 Pathfinder and my 6-disc player just stopped working. When I try to play a cd, it keeps telling me to hit eject. Then when I hit it, it just clicks and nothing happens.

Well, I started to look for help online because as most of you have done, I called Nissan and Clarion, and of course, for a nice size fee, I can get it fixed. I found a general message somewhere else that said to disconnect the battery. I did that, left it disconnected for about 15 minutes and when I reconnected it and turned my truck on, it worked. I would encourage everyone to try this first before you spend hundreds of dollars getting it fixed. I guess it is just like rebooting your computer when that locks up...:-) I hope this helps some of you out....I know I was excited that I didn't have to spend all of that money.

BLT208
Unregistered guest
Okay, I don't have a Pathfinder but I do have an 2001 Xterra and just yesterday I tried to switch CD's and got and ERR 3 message. Now I cannot change discs, eject, or anything. The radio still works. Honestly, I didn't read every post here, so any suggestions would be helpful. I was surprised to find this site and I am certainly glad I did. Help, please??

BLT208
Unregistered guest
Hi Nikki,

I didn't read your post prior to posting before, so I will try to the battery disconnect and see what happens. I will let you know!

BLT

BLT208
Unregistered guest
Hi Nikki,

I didn't read your post prior to posting before, so I will try the battery disconnect and see what happens. I will let you know!

BLT

Same Problem Here - I plan on fixing it my self, what's the best way?

Username: Johnplesh

I have the Err2 Message that everybody else has, with a '01 pathfinder. I was on my way to best buy to replace it tomorrow. Will the battery disconnect work with the Err2 Problem or just the Eject problem? BLT208 let me know if your's worked?

I took out the cd changer, who can recommned a good replacement for it?

Unregistered guest
I have a 01 and my changer just went for a crap too err2. I am in Canada so for me to ship it to California could be quite expensive, but I have a sony minidisc unit that i have sitting around from my last car, I would like to get that installed. Is it a pretty simple install or am I looking at a headache. Any suggestions would be grateful.

Janet of Houston
Unregistered guest
Recently moved to the US from England & bought a 01 Pathfinder. Last week, at about 65k, I got the ERR2. Hubby accused me of putting wrong things in wrong holes, plus I got Brad Paisley stuck in there. Add me to the ever-growing list of revolting peasants.
Will approach local dealer and let you know.

TJ2004
Unregistered guest
Wow. I have an 04 Pathfinder with this same issue! My dealer is making it sound like they have never heard of the issue. Mine clicks and just stops intermittently and then begins playing and stopping. Once in a while it plays and the counter does not move.

blt208
Unregistered guest
Hi John. Nope, the battery disconnect didn't work for me. As a matter of fact, I tried it and now my player doesn't even recognize that I have a CD changer. Before the CD icons would show up, now it does nothing. However, the radio is still working just fine. What a nuisance!

Janet,

Maybe it's a Brad thing. I have him stuck in mine too, along with Faith Hill.... maybe they have "a thing" going! :-)

BLT208
Unregistered guest
After reading more of these messages, I think I may be part of my problem. I do have one CD-R in my player and it does have a label on it. That sucks! Now I feel like a real idiot. But I did read the owner's manual and couldn't find any warning against CD-R's, but maybe I overlooked it. Was more interested in troubleshooting the overall problem.

Unregistered guest
I bought my '01 Pathfinder with 51k miles in Feb '05. Within the first week of ownership I encountered the cd changer error. Have pretty much lived on radio (and a few cassettes) for past 9 months. Please add me to the list of dissatisfied customers who expect a cd player to last longer than four years. Completely unacceptable.

DannyK
Unregistered guest
Another one bites the dust. Mine went during a long road trip over the thanksgiving holiday.`01 Xterra with about 63K on it. That friggin err2 with the "click-click-click" is gonna drive me insane. At least i don't have any cd's held hostage. I am thinking about hitting up my local nissan dealer, armed with a print out of this thread. I bought the car used from a middle man, so I am not very hopeful. if that fails, i might go the Clarion route for 110 beans... I can swallow that i guess, but this REALLY SUCKS!

Vitullon
Unregistered guest
I too am an unfortunate soul. I have the Err2 message and the clicking noises....The guy at BestBuy said it could be fixed but recommended I take everything out that says Bose and start over. He even told me where I could do it cheaper than BestBuy. I dont know what I will do but there is a place in Longwood Florida that says they will charge $285 and do the work themselves if you dont want to wait on Clarion. I will probably by a cheap indash single disc player and get this fixed at my leisure then replace when I sell the car. I hear all of you and sympathize but if you expect anyone to step up and take responsibility I am surprised. Companies don't care about consumers....only the bottom line, anything else they say is crap. You think Nissan is difficult...I have been to hell and back with Verizon, ATT Wireless and Cingular all in the same year. Try to get them to help you!! My point is, everyone gets screwed eventually, try to get help with the issues but dont kid yourself about the what is going to happen. The lucky ones are just that, lucky. The rest of us just have to pay up. I like my Pathfinder too but will probably avoid Bose in the future only because of it's incompatability with everthing else. Good luck to all of you, I hope your efforts pay off. Thank you for getting this started.

Pissed off LE
Unregistered guest
I have spoken with a stereo guy, and he says this problem is not just with cd players in Nissan, but with Clarion in general, particularly multi-cd units.

Geop
Unregistered guest
As frustrating as this issue is, some of the success stories (i.e., no cost) were the result of a rational discussion with Nissan service managers (armed with a printout of this thread). It worked for me. I let them know about the bad press and that THEIR dealership was on the thread and that I was going to document their response. Frustration not withstanding, develop a rational plan and give it a try. At least you have a chance to get it fixed at no cost and everyone can keep the blood pressure lower. The alternative is to remain angry and pay big bucks by default. The local Nissan dealers are more likely to work for you rather than corporate phone talkers because they can't handle the bad press on a local level.

Unregistered guest
And another one...01 Pathfinder with approx 40k
I use the CD player very rarely - non-labelled CDR might be the culprit, but it sounds like real culprit is the clarion design

Will contact dealer, armed with printout of this forum, and we'll see...I have no extended warranty - expect no mercy from dealer, though their svc dept has always been good to me

Unregistered guest
And another one...01 Pathfinder with approx 40k
I use the CD player very rarely - non-labelled CDR might be the culprit, but it sounds like real culprit is the clarion design

Will contact dealer, armed with printout of this forum, and we'll see...I have no extended warranty - expect no mercy from dealer, though their svc dept has always been good to me

Unregistered guest
No help from Miller Nissan in Van Nuys. My service guy, with whom I have always had a good relationship, and who has been very good to me with warranty work as needed, couldn't offer me anything in this case (I don't even have extended warranty) He did recommend a privateer in the LA area who can do the repair with Clarion parts for between $100 and $300 depending on what needs to be replaced. Svc mgr suggested that this local guy might exhibit better judgement than Clarion regarding cost-effectiveness of repair. I called privateer who agreed I should try and get satisfaction directly from Clarion first in case they step up to the plate, but to come to him if no luck with Clarion

To be continued...

Unregistered guest
EASY REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNispthfndr03StrR.htm.htm

If you are a klutz, you might want to pull the cable from the neg side of your battery so that the cigarette lighter socket and CD player are not "hot" while you do this...no need to do so, but it helps with peace of mind.(Of course you have to reset all your radio stations, so their is a downside.) It also helps to put the gear shift in LOW which you need to do with the battery connected, unless you want to pry the little plug out of the shift console and stick a screwdriver down and release the lockout manually.

Throw a heavy towel doubled up on the shift console so you have somewhere to land with the radio/changer combination.

I'm sending mine to clarion for updated parts etc (path of least hassle for the $) and I will never put CDR's in it.

Now that I know it is a POS, I will be gentle and sceptical.

Scott-MA
Unregistered guest
Well, I've got it too :-( My 2001 Nissan Pathfinder has 43k miles and the Clarion CD changer just jammed itself while switching discs (I believe it was "Songs that got us through WWII" - Remember Pearl Harbor!). It hemmed and hawed for awhile, then came up showing ERR2 on the display. Phoooie! That sucks. Holding eject for 2min+ doesn't do anything (just says "WAIT" on display). I heard clicking for a bit, but now it's silent.

Great to find this forum, and see that I'm not alone. I'll start in with Nissan and go from there.

JiggyFly
Unregistered guest
Just received my player and cds back from Clarion. They must have had a lot of practice, because it didn't take them very long to fix it and sent it back. Also received the CDs in a plastic bag. I just installed it, but was afraid to put a CD in it yet. It did say LOAD, so that was some good news. Good luck to everyone.....NISSAN1 and their customer support doesn't give a crap about any of us.

Anonymous

What an interesting evening of Reading. 2001 Pathfinder LE. 6 DISC changer broken at 60,000 miles. $365.00 to ship and have repaired. No thanks.
I'll look at trying to get an aftermarket replacement.

Anonymous

Another unhappy customer of Nissan. Pathfinder 60K and CD changer broke. Used instructions above to take it out. Fixed it myself.

Open mental case, carefully take out circuit board. Remove loading motor and one set of connected gear. Rotate remaining gear manually. Got over stuck point. Then put everything back. It should be fine.

C Stevenson
Unregistered guest
2001 Nissan Pathfinder (48,000 miles). My CD Changer broke also. I found a guy on Ebay that fixes them for $160 plus $12 dollars shipping. He usually has them fixed and shipped back in 1 day after receiving the unit. His feedback on Ebay is 100% - all very satisfied customers as am I. He includes a 90 day warranty also.
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-NISSAN-PATHFINDER-6-DISC-CD-CHANGER-CE018-RE PAIR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43948QQitemZ8020810779QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

GreenZoo
Unregistered guest
2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE (now with 95,000 miles)My CD-changer has been broken since last year. There is even a section in the owner's manual that addresses the issue of errors. It states that you should remove all the cd's and let the unit 'dry out'. Well, my unit has been 'drying out' since last October and STILL does not work. I spoke to my dealer and they said it would cost me $500 to have it removed and shipped out for repair. I also recently found the repair place on eBay. I am not nuts about sending out my unit, which I will have to remove and re-install, to someone, somewhere for $170 (including shipping). You can purchase Sony 10 CD external changers for $140 brand new with warranty. The eBay repair company only warranties their work for 90 days. What happens after 90 days? I am interested in either the external changer or possibly an adpater to use an iPod. If anyone has other instructions on using an iPod in the Pathfinder, I would appreciate the input. Also, I would be happy to partake in any complaint regarding the CD-changer from Clarion/Nissan. My email is greenzoo@bellsouth.net

Janet of Houston
Unregistered guest
Hurrah for Mossy Nissan, I-10, Houston:

Day 1 - phoned and explained problem to service manager
Day 2 - took car in for inspection (with printout of this thread to wave if necessary)
Day 3 - got call that new CD changer had arrived
Day 4 - went in, waited 45 mins, new changer installed, free of charge, no argument, great service, nice doughnut & coffee.

RESULT!!!!

HarleyD in San Diego
Unregistered guest
Dec 2005 I purchased a used 2002 Pathfinder with Bose sound and 6CD changer and 47K miles. During the test drive inserted a CD and got the CD ERR FO message and couldn't get the CD out. Sales manager agreed to repair the system - so I bought the truck. Waiting until after the holidays to have the unit removed and sent "somewhere" for repairs. This will be at no cost to me. I'm disappointed to see this common defect, but I'm glad I tested it on the test drive. I hope the replacement works for a few years.

HelpPlease
Unregistered guest
I get the "ERR2" message displayed too. I have one CD in the 6-disc changer and I need to get that CD out *badly*-- those of you who got your CDs out, how did you do it? I held down the eject button for a long while, and it makes noises, but the CD doesn't come out. :-(

Please help!

Username: Yride

Add my truck to the list. 2001 Pathfinder with 66K miles with CD changer showing Err2. No extended warrenty (Isn't that just for domestic vehicles?) Will contact San Diego dealers for help. Sign me up for any class action. yride@yahoo.com

mossy buyer
Unregistered guest
I think this disc changer problem needs a lawyer.

mossy buyer
Unregistered guest
I have nice solution to this problem....in theory. I spent $107 for single disc cd player that should "fit" space for "multi disc cd err2 box"....I will install tommorrow and let you know how it works. However, I still say lawsuit is in order. Anybody know what the list price for this nondurable cd changer was?

The new player is a matshushida product that mounts exactly the same as the old changer.

Misty from KY
Unregistered guest
I called the clarion company today to ask about sending my cd changer to them for repair. The cs guy was rude and told me there was NOTHING they could do. I must go through my Nissan dealer to get it fixed. I am so frustrated and ready to smash the entire system. Sign me up for a class action!

Misty from KY
Unregistered guest
I called the clarion company today to ask about sending my cd changer to them for repair. The cs guy was rude and told me there was NOTHING they could do. I must go through my Nissan dealer to get it fixed. I am so frustrated and ready to smash the entire system. Sign me up for a class action!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5107
Misty, take a time out and write a letter to Nissan's president. Trust me, every single letter do count. They may not read the first, second, or even the third, but eventually, someone will have to take note of all the complaints. Next time, the Clarion's contract comes up, someone will remember.
In the end, they both will pay. So let Clarion laugh now, but we all know who will in in the future.

drherren
Unregistered guest
Thanks to all who have posted their complaints on this website. I have had my changer in for replacement 3 times and now it has stopped working again. Car is out of warranty and the extended warranty doesn't cover either. Wife is dealing with Nissan Consumer Affairs and she will not take no for an answer. Driver seat motor has also failed, again. Seat will not move forward or backward.

Username: Mharvey_2561

Thrills...Add my truck to the list. 2001 Pathfinder with 46K miles with CD changer showing Err2. No extended warrenty will contact Hayward, CA dealers for help. Sign me up for any class action. mharvey_2561@yahoo.com

mossy buyer
Unregistered guest
My new single cd player works well. Even the steering controls work. Installation was a breeze. It works with existing wiring and fits exactly in the space. Call Dan Jonas at McCarthy Nissan. $107 delivered . Now I AM THE CD CHANGER

Dan Jonas
Parts Manager
Phone 913-324-7383
$107 delivered

Unregistered guest
Does Anyone know about how to start a class action lawsuit? Same issue tried all suggestions with regards to fixing it myself then called the dealership (met with attitude), called Nissan USA and they were also aware of the issue and was told that she would pass along my frustration and disappointment. Oh and I will not be sticking a screwdriver into my wood grain dash, my luck I would split/crack/shatter and I KNOW this would not be covered! At this point I am going to have to bend over and have someone fix it just so I can sell the car (Pathfinder LE-2002 49,000) miles. Based on how Nissan handled me with regards to this issue I am concerned about how an issue of greater magnitude may be handled in the future. WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER NISSAN. HEY NISSAN...Thinks big picture if just 100 of the people who posted their frustration here do not buy another new vehicle from you and take an avg of $20,000/vehicle that comes to $2million dollars Nissan could be missing out on in future sales not to mention services.

NF
Unregistered guest
I agree. I do not plan on buying another Nissan!!! Between the changer breaking, and the idler pulley, 3 bad sensors, etc., etc. It seems like every time I take the darn truck in, I am shelling out $500.00+ in repairs and the truck has less than 50K miles!!!! My Ford truck with 155,000 miles is more reliable!!! and THAT is saaaaaaaad. Especially considering I tow 8000 lbs in equipment behind the Ford.

JiggyFly
Unregistered guest
I'm with you NF.....I am on my third radiator (which nissan wants $800 for a new one), same sensor issues, and TERRIBLE customer service. Also have a rattle in the back, that they pretty much say tough crap about. My '99 Honda has no issues. I'll be trading this Nissan in next year.

mike from Madison
Unregistered guest
i just experienced the "err2" message today in my 01 QX4 with 68K miles on it. I'm not surprised, as i have some knowledge of home and car audio, and know that Bose and Clarion are not typically known for sound/build quality. i will be calling Nissan tomorrow to see what my next course of action will be. hopefully if they get enough complaints they will issue a recall. I won't be paying to have it repaired.

Unregistered guest
Same here, have an '01 QX4 with about 57K miles and just got a new CD for Christmas and went to take one out, which is ejected, and I put in the new one, then it jammed or whatever. Says Err2 now. I've called Clarion and got same price quote as others at $110.00. I took the unit out last night but failed to get the model # so I have to take it out again to make sure it's the right one and the right price. But for those of you who have taken it out and have sent it to Clarion, can anybody tell me how to get off the power tape that feeds directly into the CD? According to Clarion they don't need the radio, just the CD and that holds them together. And did you get good results from Clarion? I've found people on ebay that do it quicker but it costs more and they give the same warrantly. If Clarion is worthy, I'll just send to them. Thanks in advance for the info!!

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 688
just buy a modulated changer and save the headaches...

JiggyFly
Unregistered guest
amyles....I sent mine in a few weeks back. Clarion fixed it and sent the CDs back in a plastic bag. I thought that there were 4 screws holding the CD changer in place. There is only one plug connected into the changer. One thing that helped me was putting the car in 1, so that I had more room to pull everything forward.

Anonymous

Add me to the list, I have a 2001 Pathfinder, Err2 at 48k. I had the Bose 6-disc cd changer sent out for repair 2 months ago, cost me $70 to take it out and ship to New York for repair. They're charging $300 to fix, and I'm being told the part or parts needed to repair are on National backorder. I'm going to contact Nissan, Clarion, and local dealership in the meantime, maybe have the piece of crap sent back to me without repair. I did have 6 cd's stuck in it, two of them were cdr r's, but without labels (oops!). The only reason I looked into this further was because my mother in law just bought a 2001 Infiniti and her Bose cd player has the Err2 also, which they are going to "repair" at their cost... POS!!! Glad to hear I wasn't the only one LOSING IT with the "click, click, click" noise... oh, and I whacked mine a few times it didn't help!

JiggyFly
Unregistered guest
Clarion will fix it for $110. Send it there and get your $300 back.

Unregistered guest
Same problem, '01 Pathfinder, 67K, ERR2, CDs stuck. What really bums me out is that I love this car and this CD changer/cassette/radio unit - it's been great...until now. Reading all this very helpful. Thanks to all.

Would like to hear about experiences with Clarion $110 repair option:
Did it work and is it still working?
If no longer working, how long was it before malfunction recurred?

Tone ----
Unregistered guest
re: Clarion repair - see my posts of Nov. 5 and Nov. 10.

Sad to say, just a week after I got the unit back from Clarion, it started to show ERR2 again. Was intermittent. Would sometimes play CDs and sometimes hang with ERR2. Only used real CDs... no CDRs, no labels. After a few weeks of on-again-off-again ERR2s I sent the thing back to Clarion on Dec. 22 and asked for repair under their 90 day warranty from the prior repair.

To summarize my experience to date: Clarion repair was the most inexpensive and relatively quick. However, the repair quality was poor. I'll report back whether they honor their warranty and whether the 2nd repair is any better than the first.

Josuemarq
Unregistered guest
Ditto.... I have a 2001 pathfinder with 57K and got the ERR2. The CD changer will accept and reject the disc but gives me the ERR2 without playing.

Still trying to decide what to do. The dealer and Clarion have been a total waste. Has anyone gotten the changer repaired on EBay? They claim to repair and return the changer with some new gears in 4 days.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5115
You can get a new unit for the price of repair ($150).
Don't get ripped off.
Do however, give Clarion and Nissan a piece of your mind. They're both scums when it comes to support.

jensenar
Unregistered guest
I have the same f@cking problem with my 2001 Pathfinder LE. After reading all these posts I decided it was not worth fixing becuase it will just break again. I'm either going to replace the unit with something else or just use my SIRIUS sattelite radio that I love!!

drherren
Unregistered guest
Still dealing with Nissan Consumer Affairs. Also called Clarion today. Same BS, I have asked them to escalate to higher level. Has anyone been told that this is the first time that they (Nissan) have heard of this problem? I say we all call at a certain time, that way they will hear about it.

mike from madison
Unregistered guest
i pulled the radio/changer out of my QX4 today and called Clarion to return it. the guy was a total jerk on the phone and quoted $200 to fix. i was expecting to hear $110 which is what most of the people on the forum have been quoted. he suggested that i go thru the dealer since it comes with a 1 yr. warranty instead of 90 days. I called the dealer yesterday and they want $300 to fix. they also claimed that they didn't know that this was such a big problem. is $200 normal for dealing with Clarion? my part number is pn-2344n? i think i'm just going to go the aftermarket route and put a nice Alpine in. Clarion is crap! i'm also not impressed with Nissan/Infiniti on this issue. i think a recall is needed!

TX_Lawyer
Unregistered guest
Can anyone who has taken apart the cd player unit take pictures of the problem areas and post them somewhere? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hey folks, I know this may sound a bit strange, but if anyone's abandoning their 6 disc changer, I am interested in purchasing the unit. I recently bought an 01 Pathfinder LE with no head unit or changer and am looking to restore the factory audio system. Email me if you want to discuss. Thank you

Username: Pinky

Seattle, WA

I should add I mean the in-dash changer PN-2302N. Thank you!

Unregistered guest
I was given an 01 Nissan Pathfinder and it is getting expensive...the err2 msg was only one of the problems I have experienced...the eng lite has been on since the orginal owner had the vehicle and it has been repaired by Nissan dealerships for three years...I am looking to sell or trade it in...

KaySea
Unregistered guest
I bought an '01 Pathfinder this weekend and now the CD player says Err-2. After reading this thread, I am considering sending to Clarion. My question for those who got the dealerships to replace for free is this...did you buy your pathfinder from them? I bought mine used from a non-nissan dealership and don't know if they'd consider being too generous to me. Please let me know your thoughts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us