Does anyone have a favorite 3 1/2 "?

Username: Mustangsally

Post Number: 4
hey i was wondering if anyone knew of a good 3 1/2" i know they are slim pickings now i had a set of alpines pack in the day they were great, but i dont think they make them any more i had a set of infinity reference series a few years ago but i didnt have my grills on and the surrounds went to pot so if anyone has some good thought that would be sweet.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1049
buy a component set like the Hybrid Audio Legatia L3 with a CDT drt-25. Very nice sound for a 3in driver.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 749
I just got PowerBass 3.5 For $35. They are my new favorites. 35wrms too.

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 35
ok, as a future project i though it would be cool to put a couple 3 1/2s in my dash some where. does anyone know how i would go about making the holes and possibly wiring them to a headunit?

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 764
Update, My PowerBass blew the tweet today while playing "Take the money and run" at fairly low volume. so @ 20wrms hitting it. Onto another brand.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2368
lol. that sux man

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 926
if you need to have a 3.5" driver, go with a 3-way component set with a dome midrange. I'm not a big fan of 3 inch cone speakers. They can't really deliver the full range sound most of them promise, like computer speakers.

Gold Member

Concord

Post Number: 1060
a good 3in driver will deliver a good midrange for you. It only needs to play from about 200hz to 4khz. A 3in driver that is built well will give good results and need less customizing to install.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2452
my 4 inch midrange is great scuba steve, and its a cone midrange :-)

i think this guy is looking for a coaxial set though.

Justblaze - you couldn't power more then 1 set on HU power. and you'd have all kinds of phase issues and just overall crap for SQ if you wired up a lot of 3.5 inch drivers.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 931
I'm not saying 3.5" or 4" midrange speakers can't be great. All I'm saying is that you won't get even close to full range sound out of it, which is what some may expect, and which is why you'd also want a midbass speaker as well, and thats why i recommended going with the 3 way set.

Username: Mustangsally

Post Number: 5
im still thinking about infinities in the das and infinity 5x7 in the rear with my kenwood deck

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 166
i got some clarion 3.5inch coaxials

ive beat them hard and they still work fine

but they need an equalizer cause they sound too bright

if you got an eq for em CLARION SRC925

ive beat them with the crossover as low as 80hz

theres three different auctions goin on at ebay right now.. the auctions give good pics

Gold Member

Concord

Post Number: 1077
COAX...LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN MIDRANGE DRIVER.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3468
Scuba steve already said it: 3.5"s are worthless unless they're a midrange (probably too small) or tweeter (probably too big).

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 171
full range no.. but put an eq to a 3.5 and it can sound great down to 100hz-200hz

if i had an eq to give those clarions some 'beef' into the voice they would be insane competition to a 5.25 as long as the 5.25 isnt in a box or pod

but thats a equalized 3.5 free air vs a non equalized 5.25 free air

5.25 already has enough cone area to play voices deep.. if you added an eq to the 5.25 the 3.5 speaker would put up a fight because most ppl want too much bass out of their 5.25's and that would distort the vocals and thats an advantage to the 3.5

sooo...
if you got stock spots for some 3.5's and can use some extra detail in your music fill those spots in but just be sure to have an eq to make the voices sound deeper

this is the best example to 'voice matched'

if one speaker plays voices deeper then the other they wont blend together and the higher tone voices will stick out *bad*
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us