Have 1996 Maxima w/Bose, Recommendations for replacement cd player?

Username: Dalearyous

Post Number: 1
i have a 1996 Nissan Maxima with bose system in it. the cd player screen is intermittent in that sometimes i can read the screen and other times its just black. also it doesn't play mp3 cds and, if im lucky ill get a cd to work. everything else though is great. i know that the bose system is self amped and things get complicated by swapping out just the cd player. so here is my plan:

ok i ripped out my slightly old stereo out of my other car. this is what i have to work with:
2 rockford component speakers (for front)
2 normal rockfords (rear)
$300 towards new amp or deck

so far this is my plan, rip all the bose stuff out, install pioneer deh7800mp (going to buy it) and the rockford speakers and then buy 4 channel amp to power everything. is this good idea overall?

what RMS should i be looking for on the new amp i pick out? can you recommend particular model? for cd player, im pretty much sold on the deh7800mp from pioneer. ive read a lot of posts of people suggesting next model up (880 prs) with the auto-time alignment but i don't think its worth it nor is it a big deal since i can set that stuff in the 7800 manually.

one more question, would you recommend me getting 4 channel amp and use first 2 for the front 2 speakers, then bridge the cd player to power the rear speakers and then bridge the remaining 2 channels on the amp for a decent sub? im not looking to shatter windows just want it to sound good.

crap one more thing, in my old car i ran all new speaker wire, it was a pain in the . should i do same thing again? is dynamat worth it?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3360
Everything looks good to me, I'm extremely glad you realize when you take out one piece of a Bose system, the whole thing has to go.

RMS should probably be about 50-75 watts a channel.

The head unit channels don't bridge. I've tried it (intentionally, heh)-you get no sound output and you risk blowing the output IC. You might not want rear fill for now (or at all haha) but the way you want to use the amp is a good idea-though the sub might be underpowered...

Don't run new speaker wire, it isn't necessary. The factory wire is definitely decent.

Post Number: 2
rear fill? you mean rear speakers? why would i not want rear speakers? should i just get a 2 way amp to save some money for the head. i won't bridge the cd player and just let it power the rear?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3369
Yep, rear fill= rear speakers. It's a personal reference for sound imaging. I prefer not to have it, others do. My opinion is, when you go to a concert or live performance, the audio is being produced in front of you...nothing emanates from behind you. Not having rear fill isn't noticeable to me or my passengers (which surprises them), interestingly enough.

Post Number: 3
so 2 way amp would be the way to go and just have the rear speakers run off the face?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3376
Definitely. And then you can turn off the rears with the amp cancel (I think that particular Pioneer model has it) and see if you like not having rear fill or not. Maybe even only turn it on for passengers...

Post Number: 4
sounds like a plan, one more thing...dynamat for the doors ... is it worth it?

Silver Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 104
i agree with that, if your at a concert usually sounds are produce in front of you and it just surrounds you because of the quality of speakers and fields that your at, to be honest i only have one 6.5 sub in the rear which is on the midle and customise and it doest it, i guess it really depends on your taste but if your a car audio enthusiast, you will know

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3377
Yeah, and as far as dynamat goes, I think it's definitely worth it.

Post Number: 5
aight well i bought the deh7800mp and i am in the middle of installing all my speakers etc... i was able to fit the tweeter box controller thing in the bose amp box in the door which worked great. i got one speaker installed in passenger side fine and the cd player mounted and working. few bumps i ran into, one is with the cd player installed i have a huge gap between the cd player and the motorized tray. the kit i have will not allow me to use the pocket that came with it. second is im going to have to rig up the tweeter up top. not much anyone can help me with there ill just have to get creative.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us