2 amps vs 1

Bronze Member
Username: Nikoncd

Post Number: 72
*Before the question, just want to say thank you for all the help everyone has given so far, I am sorry about my sometimes relentless threads and sometimes repetative ones - I always do searches first, but its sometimes difficult to wade through all the archived threads here. Thanks for putting up with it and me.

Is a single amp to a single sub better than 1 amp for two subs? Example: (2) 12w6 to (2) 500/1 or (1) Arc 1500xxk?

I have narrowed it down to a couple amps and would like to get your opinions:

(1) Arc 1500xxk
(2) Memphis MCD-500
(1) Memphis MCD-1000
(1) Directed 2400D
(1) Orion HCCA-2400D
(2) JL 500/1
(1) Diamond D61000.1

My plan is to buy a single sub and amp first... then get another sub later, and if need be a second amp. How would you rank/compare these? Subs i'd be powering either be a 2 IDmax, 2 w6's - or MAYBE 1 flatline (only a single amp I think for this situation?)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8421
IMO

it is safer with a single amp than 2 , if ur settings on either amp is not matching u could possibly destroy ur sub ,also 2 amps usually will pull more current ,
weight more ,
cost more 2 buy & wire too
takes up more space

its easy 2 buy a big amp upfront with 1 sub then 2
ex if u intend 2 buy a amp that odes 1000wrms @ 1ohm which also does 500wrms @ 2ohms

buy 1) 4ohms dvc sub & run it @ 2ohms the get a 2nd same 4ohms sub so load when both r connected = 1ohm ...

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 158
the rule is:

the farther you drop the impedance the worse all your distortion/harmonic specs get

4ohm specs vs 1ohm specs on the same amp..

4ohm ranks supreme

dual voice coil subs should be wired in series to increase the impedance and get an amp that will push 50-100 watts over the rms

single 4ohm subs should have a single 4ohm amp with 50-100 watts over the rms

if you wire two 4ohm subs in series to a single amp rated at 100 watts over the rms.. youll find that the subs will ask for more at 'max' volume
youll also find that the subs distort all the notes rather then just high or just low

finding your speakers actual limit is easier at a high impedance as long as you got over the rms @ 8ohms or whatever

most ppl will be dissapointed with a raised impedance because the actual 'clean limit' doesnt put out enough output so they clip something to pulse the cabin air and that simulates extra spl(if there is enough power) - if there isnt enough power the output will go from clean @ such and such loudness to dirty/distorted @ the same such and such loudness

anyway the rule is stated above

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 159
to actually answer your question:

a-1 sub @ 4ohm with 1 amp + 1 sub @ 4ohm with 1 amp

b-2 subs @ 2ohm with 1 amp

c-2 subs @ 8ohm with 1 amp

a and c are the correct choices.. b is for ppl who dont give a d@mn

choice b will require a much more quality amp to keep par with specs of the other two setups
you will also need to feed the choice b amp with all the energy it will take in order to keep the circuit board satisfied

choice a is capable of running all day in hot weather

choice c is like having your system on ice

just depends on who gives a d@mn and who can afford 100 watts over rms at 8ohms

Bronze Member
Username: Nikoncd

Post Number: 73
well... I am not really going to go to 1 ohm, but I thought the sound quality was negligible? Well, if I went with the arc, I'd wire a single sub at 4 ohms and then when I got the second, wire both at 2. (2) 500/1 could wire both at 4 which would fine too.

Rovin, thanks... you brought alot of issues of the running to amps that I didn't quite account for. And the pulling more current is important to me. I think I might go with the arc in the end and call it quits.

Thanks everyone!

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 160
to make the proper choice you will need the specs of the arc amp at 4ohm and again at 2ohm

and then compare those specs with the specs of another amp at 4ohm and again at 2ohm

if your amp at 4ohm has a dampening factor of >1000 but drops to >300 at 2ohm thats not good

also say if your amp has a thd of .0007 at 4ohm and .04 at 2ohm thats not good

really.. if you know how your gonna wire the subs and you know what amps fit your power needs

start emailing the company to get specs at 4ohm and again at 2ohm

do a side by side comparison and get the amp with the best specs

if your gonna buy another sub later i would put most of my concern on the 2ohm specifications of the amp

any manufacturer that doesnt give you a split list of 4ohm AND 2ohm.. take that amp off the list cause they are hiding something embarrassing

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1218
Believe we're not going to argue with you again for the same thing, you're gonna get your amp hot running it at 1 ohm, big deal, the amp is made for that. If you're coming with the 1000 frames per second theme again (lol jeje!) i don't wanna be part.

Run 1 amp, rovin's right.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 264
saying you have all high quality equiptment and you have the power and space and money... would it be better to run 1 amp per sub for better quality? and less heat being produced? get an amp that is designed for double the power your pushing through it so your not maxing the amp out only using about 50% of its power, less heat better quality? am i right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1257
John, you're saying because the THD is lower when you're running less power, that's right but for example, if i own one 2500d, why do i want to buy 2 orion 1200d, just to have them separate, i don't think so, i'm with rovin, is safer, you need to know how to handle the gain. Another thing is that the amp is designed to run at 2500w, why not to run it? Cheaper,safer, save space.

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 265
i dont mean to just have them seperate, i mean like with no regard to how much it will cost, only to the quality of the outcome. this may be a little difficult to explain but ill try...
You have an amp that does 700rms MAX and you push the 700RMS max through it, compare it to a 1400RMS amp at the same ohms but with this one only pushing 700RMS which amp would be hotter thus less efficent and lose quality? you see what im saying i may be wrong but i think tht would be the best way if you didnt care about how much money your spending.. you have enough power for it...... and you have the space for it........ it should also be just as safe... and you dont have to worry about the settings not being exact on each amp like ROVIN said because they wont be bridged or anything.. 1 amp on each sub... so that should be good right???

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 161
yea john your right.. remember impedance is resistance and if your amp blows @ss - thats like taking the positive and negative wires and touching them together when the amp pushes out as much power as it can (maximum surge rating)

impedance can also be understood as stiffness in the line

remember my hose analogy?

put your thumb over it and let the hose/speakerwire squirt

take your thumb off and theres no pressure.. duh

no pressure is like 1ohm because theres no resistance compared to 8ohm

plus with your thumb off the hose you can tap your thumb over the tip and play with the pressure.. you can hold it for a second and make the pressure go up then let off and it goes down

the same thing happens at 8ohm and 16ohm just backwards.. your thumb is over and its squirting
if you let off a lil bit it squirts less

so whats the difference if they both do the same thing?

ill tell you..

the amp has capacitors inside that keep the thumb on the hose so it stays pressurized
kinda like using two hands.. you could hold it all day like that

this is why computer power supplies have huge price tags compared to the junk for 10 bucks
the expensive ones give out nice clean power thats pressurized

the more pressurized the hose is.. the harder you can suck on it for a drink

now the purpose is to get output/water from the hose/speakerwire

you can suck as hard as you like on a pressurized hose

if you try to suck as hard as you can on a hose that isnt pressurized it will go flat

when the hose goes flat the amp will smoke

so again.. the purpose is to get output/water from the hose/speakerwire

if you suck on a hose and it goes flat your gonna die of thirst instead of drown

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
i understand you, but why are you going 2 spend the double amount of money for 700w rms? think about that. Believe seriously, WTF do you smoke?

you're right in some things, but STFU jeje

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 291
because the sh!t would last 2 times longer!!! less strain on the equiptment = longer life, and better quality

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 162
600rms @2ohm with an amp that puts out 300rms @4ohm

600rms @8ohm with an amp that puts out 1200rms @4ohm

the ability of the amp to control the speaker movement is known as dampening factor.

you cut that in half wiring in parallel

and you wont see the benefits from wiring in series until you move up to the 1200watt amp in the example above

if you tried this with the same amp you would go from 600watts @2ohm down to 150watts @8ohm

thats a huge drop in output so the only difference noticed is quiet

Bronze Member
Username: Maxsq

Post Number: 11
USE THE SINGLE ARC!!! Don't think about the power, because I can run 2 15" subs on a 15 X 2 amp and have done it. With incredible results, but the single amp is the best choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Maxsq

Post Number: 12
Sorry, forget to weigh in on the sub....ID MAX will rock and you only need one of them as well. Flat line would not be my choice nor the W6
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us