Kenwood usb hard drive hdd problems

Username: Mrstoney

Post Number: 1
I saw previously that a member had made a post about his kenwood usb headunit (kdc-x890) that was unable to read his portable usb 20gb hdd.
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=4&post=724145#POST724145

I'm having the same problem with a little hitachi 20gb that I purchased. The only real limit in the specs is that the drive must not draw more 500 mAmps, which the hitachi does not.

Flash drives are working for me just fine...Has anyone been able to get a portable usb hdd to work? What mfg / model?

Post Number: 2
I findly found some guys in the UK that have verified a few usb hdd's.

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?p=1962765

"Interesting, we have tested the Iomega 40GB, Memup 20GB and Freecom 40GB 1.8" portable hard drive units with approx 18-20GB of music and had no such delays or scan times. Our folders are arranged in single folder tiers (ie. one album/folder). The only issues we ever experienced with the Kenwood units was if a larger power hungry 2.5" drive was fitted (unit tested was a Western Digital Passport 80GB). It worked initailly but then became erratic in serching and scanning."

I plan on trying the 1.8" 40gb Iomega soon.

Post Number: 4
I can now confirm that the 40gb Iomega works with the Kenwood USB headunits...got it in yesterday.

Interestingly enough, I opened up the drive to see what kind of hdd was inside. It is a Hitachi 1.8 Travelstar!

So, it looks as though the implementation of the USB/Enclosure was the problem from my post above. I hope to be able to find another enclosure that will also work, as the iomega drive is expensive.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3497
Those are laptop hard drives, are they not?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us