Port area?????

Silver Member
Username: Shman

Grandville, Michigan United States

Post Number: 266
how does port area affect the output of a sub box??? i need to know quick cuz i just designed a box and then a friend pointed out that i doubled the port area of the original design.....it has the same port length and port volume, so would that mean the box is tuned to the same frequency, no matter what the port area is??? any input would be greatly appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 1079
i would like to know too.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8388
if u said u doubled the port AREA but then u say ".it has the same port length and port volume" - how is that possible ?

from what i noticed on ALL online calculators - wider the port the longer it is .....

ex play around with this & see 4 urself - http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 1080
yes you're right Rovin. just 1 question didnt get answered. if the port area is bigger what affect does it have on the same box with a smaller port area?

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
ok... i had a box design http://subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=28.5&Eh=15&Dia=6&Xmax=20.5&Vd= .018&NumW=1&Vb=2.2&Fb=28&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0 .......so since i wanted to put a plexiglass window in the MIDDLE i had to figure out how to get the port kind of out of the way so i put half on one side (going by length/width) and half on the other http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3368/newplexibox7ae.png.....get it??? twice the portAREA... same length and volume.......im soooo confused right now.......

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8389
well these days i'm experimenting with some ideas using pvc ports since its cheap/less work

in my install thread u will see i originally had a single 3" pvc port tuned 34hz - so i was always curious what it would be like with 2 exact same 3" pvc ports so i used that same calc above & did it .
Now it sounds alot more louder (ton more SPL/travelling bass) BUT i found that some notes i find its NOT as accuarate as b4 - so im thinking about going back to A single 3" pvc again .
Never tried rectangle/square ports on these Rs - so soon i'm gonna try it & then finally a completely new slot ported box in upcoming wks ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
yeah.. i decided that im gonna get some adjustable ports from parts express cuz for one i have VERY limited space and also it will look cooler...lol....i still wanna know how that port area thing works tho.....

Bronze Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 58
So say i have a 4" PVC port on a box for one sub. If i add another port the same exact size there will be more SPL?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2726
yea...if u know what ur doing
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us