Need some wiring help

Username: Eezom

Post Number: 8
hi, i have a 2 channel power acoustic amp and i wanna hook it to 2 800 watt 2 ohm dual voice coil subs. a wiring diagram would be really helpful. let me know if i need to give any more info. I think that i need to use one of the diagrams in the link below but i dont know what the .5/2/8 ohm load means. thanks in advance.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=DVC2x2

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2093
can u give a link of the sub
--- and the amp

you want to wire it to 2 ohms. so find an amp that puts out (both subs RMS #'s conbined)@ 2 ohms and then ur set

Post Number: 9
heres the amp: http://www.cardomain.com/item/POWOV2820

and both the subs are the same:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-12-Subwoofer-CVR12-/sem/rpsm/oid/117481/ca tOid/-13093/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

i dunno how much rms the amp puts out, i think its 4. will the amp work? thanks.

Post Number: 10
i meant it puts out rms power @ 4 ohms, is 820 the rms power?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2094
460 x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged = amp
subs = 400 rms DVC 2 ohm subs

the amp will not work and power them properly. your best bet is to get a audiobahn a8000t amp which wont run u alot of money

-- you would be underpowering them wayyyyyyyyyy toooo much if you used that amp and the sub would hardly move. @ 2 ohm, the amp puts out 230 so each sub will get prolly around 180 watts.

you always want to match the RMS numbers on the sub will the amp. since you have (2) 400 rms subs,,, you need an amp that puts out 800 watts.

now for the ohms,, since those are DVC 2 ohm subs, you can only wire them to a 2 or 8 ohm load (go to www.the12volt.com --- then woofer wiring on the left) use it, its good.

2 2 ohm sub wire to a 2 or 8 ohm load
2 4 ohm subs wire to a 1 or 4 ohm load

just to give ya the jist of things. and then you use those #'s (the load numbers) and try match them with how many watts you need.

so if you had 2 4 ohm subs that were 200 watts rms. you can wire those to a 1 or 4 ohm load. ---since they are 200 rms = 400 watts amp @ either 1 or 4 ohms :-)

LOL, i was really bored

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2095
and no 820 is the max power (which you will never see, never look at the max ratings. lol dam, that was alot of writing haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thanks for the info, i guess ill be getting a new amp soon. but for the time being, can i power atleast 1 of the subs with this amp?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2098
yes. 1 DVC 2 ohm sub (your cvr) can wire to a 1 or 4 ohm load on the amp.

when you look at the specs on the amp, its says at 4 ohm bridged -- it puts out 460 watts.

so yes, you can take sure subs and birdge it and wire to 4 ohms.

(bridging is just when two of the terminals are combined to create one) and they are marked on your terminals "saying bridged" - the it point to the pos terminal you need to use and the neg terminal you need to use

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
last question, so i need an amp that gives 1600W x 1 @ 2 Ohms so itll give 800w x 2 to power both my subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
wow im confused... what do u mean by take sure subs? I take 1 of the subs and bridge the amp and wire it to 4 ohms?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
nvm i get what u mean now but when i got my sub bench tested (a third cvr), i was told that it blew because the amp was too powerful.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2099
No. 1600 x 1 @ 2 ohm == the x1 means that its bridged or that its a 1-channel amp.

if you got 800 x 2 (this mean each channel will put out 800 watts, if a 2-channel amp) -- that mean that each sub will get 800 watts, which is OVERpowering them.
remember you want to match the rms on the sub, which in your case is 400. so if you got 400 x 2 @ 4 ohms it would work because if you hook a sub to each channel you will get 400 watts to each sub which is the rms (rec. amont of power)

you could also get a amp that does 800 x 1 @ 2 ohms --- meaning each sub will again get 800 watts.

look at the audiobahn a8000t for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-AUDIOBAHN-A8000T-INTAKE-MONO-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ25 0002162086QQihZ015QQcategoryZ64571QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13490

Username: Shaf123

Post Number: 5
i was wondering how i can hook up 2 amps together to make more wattage and i was wondering if i just had to hook the out on one to the in on the other and to the speakers

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2612
that audiobahn 8000t does not do 1600w,it may say rms but that is what it produces, 800watts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
hey, today i put one of the subs in with the amp bridged but the sub wouldnt work for some reason. the amp was grounded right and im sure i wired everything right and nothing still works. any ideas as to what i did wrong?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2381
one of wut subs?? wuts the VC configuration

wut amp?

is the amp turning on? the green light?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
i took one of the kicker subs and hooked it to the poweracoustik 400w rms amp. the links to the sub and the amp are in the third post from the top.
I used this wiring diagram and hooked it for a 4 ohm load: http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/infolib/carlib/subs/1_2ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

the amp is working fine and the green light is on

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2386
hmm, so you birdged it to 4 ohms correct?

do you have a good ground?? -- make sure it isnt grounded to the paint of the chasis, the paint needs to be sanded away so that it will ground to bare metal.

is ur gain set correctly??

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2387
is the sub even moving? (getting power)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
yes, i bridged it to 4 ohms. My ground is good since i scraped the paint away before. How do i set my gain? the subs not moving at all :-( how do i power it? i have speaker wire coming out of the +/- terminals on the amp and plugging into the +/- terminals on the sub

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2388
yopu have pos (on amp) to pos (on sub) -- then from that pos you have that hooked to the other pos VC??

same with the neg...

you set your gain by matchin the pre-out voltage of ur HU, and then set that number on the amp gain

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
how do i find out the pre-out voltage from the hu? and how do i set it on the amp?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2393
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14769

see how it says preamp voltage = 2 volts

the 'gain' on ur amp or sometimes marked 'level' will be from a

# (all the way counter-clockwise)to all the way clock-wise

for example:

amp amp is from 200 miliivolts to 4 volts

so 2 volts needs to be set in between their

look in the last picture here, here is says on the amp -- the # to the #, usually u have to look in ur manual to see what the gain is marked by

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-1200-1-MONO-AMPLIFIER-Competition-AMP_W0QQitemZ140005 644933QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
k i got it, thanks a bunch. ill have to try it out tomorrow morning and ill let you know. thanks again.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2397
yea no prob. i dought thats ur problem tho. i would go outside and just turn the knob like half-way and see if the subs go on. if nothin happens, quickly turn down the gain again. this is just to see if ur gain is even on

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
what else could be the problem then? would the extra 60w being put out by the amp be enough to blow the sub making it not work?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2402
no

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2403
just see if ur bass boost (if the amp has one) is in the on position.. make sure the power wire isnt bein pinched anywhere

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
k i tried setting the gain but nothing happened, the sub didnt go on at all. The power cables not pinched anywhere and the bass boost on the amp is on.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2435
i really dont kno then. maybe ask someone else, make a new thread in the sub section, saying that you checked all of these things...and ur connection to the amp are all nice and TIGHT right... b/c ur connections are very important.

it might be the sub.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2436
and it's in the "bridged" terminals..

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2437
and ur RCA's are securly connected to the back of the HU

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
yeah all the connections are tight. one thing though, i had to cut the sides of the power/ground wire terminals so that i could connect the cables to the amp. They were too big and wouldnt fit without cutting a little from each side off. Think that matters?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2440
it could. thats the only thing that sounds like it could be it because everything else seems to be fine. like i said, i would get some diff opinions

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2441
why wouldnt they fit?? wut size AWG are you usin on that PA amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
4 awg, but the terminals were too big to fit into the place where u screw them in the amp so i had to cut them.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2481
ohh. i guess that could somehow keep u from gettin a good connection

do u have aim??

if u do, im me @ bassmanthree

Username: Chaddlez

Post Number: 1
hey ive got one amp running to subs and ive hooked up another amp smaller wattage to the 6x9's ive got them all plugged in but only running off one fuse to the battery now its running fine im just worried if this could cause problems later on i know its draining power and not getting full effect thats fine this is just a lil fun for me but just dont wanna blow anything please let me know if you think this could harm anything thanks heaps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us