BMW M5, Coffin for a Trunk

Username: Gabrielmk

Austin, TX United States

Post Number: 1
I have a 2001 BMW M5. I previously had a 2000 BMW 328. In the 328, I put 2 kappa perfect 10"s. I could not hear them at all. I don't mean that they didn't hit or that it wasn't awesome. I mean, I could not hear them at all. That is, until I opened the trunk and it was hitting as hard as you would expect for a pretty solid mid-line system. I now want to upgrade my M5 system. I am planning 5.25" Dynaudios components up front on a Zapco amp (not sure which one yet). and some sort of sub setup in the trunk. I'm terrified that I won't be able to hear the subs - just like in the 328. I want SQ, but I want it to hit pretty hard too. I listent to all kinds of music from rock, to hip hop, to jazz, to opera - I want it all to sing. If it's opera, I want it super crisp and tight, if it's hip hop, I want to slamm with the best of 'em. Have about 2k MAXXXX!!!! to spend on my sub and sub amp.

Username: Gabrielmk

Austin, TX United States

Post Number: 2
BTW, I have the bass package on the stock system. 2 10" holes in the back deck if I remove the stock system.

I know this may seem like needless worrying with those holes there. But in the old 328 that I had, I had removed the ski boot in the armrest and that only helped a tiny bit.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1272
ok maybe your infinitys had a ported box tuned very low maybe aorund 20 hz, go get some ascendant audio woofers but since ur going for sq get jl audio woofers from their cheapest sub to the jl audio w6 do not buy the w7 because ur going for sq

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1591
BMW's are known for sound proofing their cars to eliminate road noise. That means that chances are, your trunk is going to be sealed off from your backseat fairly tightly. It may be hard to get a loud sub unless you get nothing but the best. Even then, your not getting the full potential of the sub. Best thing to do is fold down your seats if possible and just play around with it. Also, removing the stock bass package and leaving the holes may also work fine too. I have heard many times before that Bimmer's are hard to work with, so good luck pal :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 23
this would take some custom work but you could make a custom port in between the 2 back deck speakers to allow the subs to play through. you may be able to do it yourself by removing foam, plastic, toilet paper, whatever they put back there, or you may have to have someone professionally do it for you.

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 398
Just leaving the holes in the back deck will help out alot! I had a 12" sub in the back of mine and it helps out alot to have it removed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us