Noob in need of help w/ speakers for M Benz 1990 300E

Username: Greekappi

SLC, UT

Post Number: 1
I'm new to this board but it sounded like a great place to get some input. I have a 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E and want to get some new speakers. I already replaced the factory deck with an Aiwa unit, I can't remember the unit number but it has the AUX input on the front.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the best bang for my buck would be for front speakers. I just want to kick up the sound, I'm not sure about a sub though. I think the only place I could put it is under the rear seats. Also, since changing to the after market deck, the side speakers in the doors no longer work. They were primarily used for bass and I don't know if there is a way to hook them up.

I have an appointment with a local (Salt Lake) car speaker install place tomorrow (Saturdat, July 1st) to rewire the speakers, since there is a short somewhere. I thought I would just have them put in new speakers as well. I'm thinking just the front for now.

Any good recs? Help is greatly appreciated. Great sound quality is a priority. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Dsmith07

Post Number: 48
what size...do you have a budget?

Bronze Member
Username: Dsmith07

Post Number: 49
how about these boston acoustics

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=065SX60

i havent heard anything bad about them on the forum since i've been here (which hasent been long) and you can find them on ebay for way cheaper than crutchfield....i would advise you to definetly get somebody elses opinion lol im not a genious

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 149
Those boston's aren't a bad speaker at all, I happen to be a fan of Boston equipment so that's a pretty good reccomendation Derek.

It would be important to know what sort of budget you're woking with and what size you need like Derek said, but the most important thing is to go and listen to as many speakers as you can and decide what you like. Without knowing what you're looking for in terms of price, I'd say just keep in mind that when it comes to car audio you really do get what you pay for so stay away from bargain brands. Also, if you're not in a huge rush, you can save a lot of money buying online versus from a brick and mortar retailer. If you give us some more specifics we can make more concrete suggestions.

Username: Greekappi

SLC, UT

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies thus far. As far as size goes, I assume you're asking what size speakers fit into the front speaker slots in my Mercedes. I'm not really sure, when I type in my car at Crutchfield, it only brings up two possible speakers that will fit. The problem is it says they fit in the front door. I don't want the ones that go in the door, I want the ones that go above the dash, just the normal front speaker slots.

How do I find out what size will fit? Refer above to my specific car if you guys know how to figure out the correct size.

In terms of price, I'm looking to spend around $200 or so. Thanks a lot for your help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us