To invert subs do you need to switch polarity??

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1268
?????

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2079
yes

Gold Member

Post Number: 1273
are you 100 % sure...bc someone just told me i didnt....

Bronze Member
Username: Kbenz47

Rochester, New York United States

Post Number: 43
well, they're ignorant. yes you do have to switch the polarity.

Bronze Member
Username: 30hrtz

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 51
you dont have to switch anything keith.all inverting does is give more airspace in box and allows you to showoff the back of your subs.dont call someone ignorant unless youre sure what youre talking about. why do you want to do this blain?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1274
i was just curious....

i think you do need to switch polarity

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 475
2079 posts to you 56, im onna believe him for now, sorry, unless you can prove it

Silver Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 181
wat is polarity...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1275
negative and positive... when you invert subs, you run the positive of the amp to the negative of the sub....

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 301
Well I didn't change anything and my H2 is running fine on my 2500d. I havent tried switching them though, think it would make a big difference?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1948
why does it matter, try both ways and see if there is a difference. the only thing i could see is the sub is gonna be out phase with the rest of the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1007
i've never heard you NEED to but if the sub is out of phase than yes you have to switch it. There is no rule on this one as far as i'm concerned.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2081
ive heard you are suppose to otherwise the sub will play out of phase but try it both ways first i mena its not a huge deal to switch especially if your inverting it the wires are right there lol

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 435
yes, if you are inverting your subs, you need to switch polarity.

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 14
yeah, because if the subs are inverted without changing the wires, when the sub normally moves down into the box, it will be moving up, so you need to change the polarity to reverse this. i hope that made more sense then i think it did

Bronze Member
Username: Dlenz4437

Post Number: 58
No because all the sub does is go up and down again and again, there isnt any difference of the exursion position. Its just the electricity hitting the vc and it makes no difference which way it hits it.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1251
Running your sub out of phase wont hurt really as long as it's the only speaker you have playing the frequncies it's playing.

If you have another sub, then yes, you need to switch it so both subs are matching.

If you have your HPF set pretty low for your mids, then yes - you need to switch it.

It's just a good idea in general to have everything in phase.

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
"No because all the sub does is go up and down again and again, there isnt any difference of the exursion position. Its just the electricity hitting the vc and it makes no difference which way it hits it"

bad! dont speak

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
you know what, my other speakers, like my 6.5" mid and my 1" tweeters just go up and down too... your fuqin right! im gunna switch the polarity and everything for the hell of it cuz, you know what, apparently it doesnt matter...

^^ sarcasm....

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4215
damn. why do these subs even have a + and - if it didn't matter.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4828
im going to be honest with you here and tell you that I was taught that if you inverted a sub you had to reverse polarity but in real life when we did it in a install it made no diffrence in how the subwoofer sounded switching the polarity either way.....but maybe this is one of those things that sometimes it matters in some installs and sometimes it doesnt

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1261
It matters, sean, if there are other subs/speakers playing the same frequency as the inverted subs.

Do this - Invert one sub, and not the other. :-) Keep them both the same polarity.. Now, reverse the polarity of the inverted sub, while keeping the non-inverted normal.

You will hear a *massive* difference.

Basically - inverting a sub has the same effect as putting a sub out of phase.. (Since when the sub is upsidedown - the down becomes up, and the up becomes down, etc..)

I have two inverted MB Quart 15" in my Firechicken now, and if I wire them in phase, the cancellation is horrible with my 13W7. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us