Username: Gangstafert

Jacksonville, Florida USA

Post Number: 192
I'd steal them.lol

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1053
JBL had a two way bookshelf speaker with a beryllium tweeter backin the 80's.

I have listened to them, since a buddy of mine bought a pair off of ebay. He was so excited about them, so he calle me to come in and do a sit down session at his lab when they came in.

Unfortunately the beryllium is the only thing that allowed those speakers to hold their value. The speakers themselves were unsatisfactory:-(

I havent heard the Focal ones, but I just wanted to let you guys know, that sometimes its not just the material of the tweeters diaphragm that makes a certain tweeter sound good. It takes a true engineer to design a quality piece.

By the way, Focal isnt the inventor of the inverted dome. I have seen inverted dome tweeters from as far back as the late 60's and early 70's. The front face plate was made out of wood.

I am not a Focal hater, but I am just stating facts about some over-priced european speakers that claim superiority, when in fact they just stole the idea from others.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1054
http://www.madisound.com/accuton.html

Here is another companythat is using expensive resources to build speakers.

Personally I would take a Vifa soft dome or an MB Quart metal dome over these $2600 tweeters anyday. Scan Speak also has an excellent tweeter, but then again it comes at a higer price where most people draw a line. Dynaudio has the esotar that also will empty out your pockets.

I love quality, but I wont compromise 1000% price difference for un almost un-noticable difference.

Just my .02

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2442
Focal Utopia Be's are nice sets of speakers. they are expencive sure and you get what you pay for to a point.

tweeter materials don't always affect the sound. hard domes aren't always harsh and soft domes aren't always smooth. i think the boston pro's have silk tweeters and i'm always hearing about people who complain about them being too harsh. and the Cal 26's i have are Titanium tweeters and they are not the least bit harsh. as smooth and detailed as they come. just two examples i can think of off the top of my head.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us