Going Active: DIY Drivers?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1557
Hey guys. Long time.

Got me a 2003 Explorer a couple months ago and have decided its time to power it up(stock radio is gettin old). Thought I'd try the active route this time around and am trying to decide on what to do about mids and highs. Have 4 Xtant 1.1i's(100w mono full range class D amps, mids and midbass), an Xtant 1001Dx(1000w, subs), an Xtant 302a on the way(75x2, tweets) and an Xtant P500a 5 band parametric EQ(5 band front or 3 band front/2 band rear operation). I've also got one band of para EQ in my Clarion DRZ9255 and one band onboard the 1001DX. That gives me 7 bands total which I hope should give me enough flexibility to get a flat response out of a fairly complicated system.

Was looking at the Seas Lotus components everyone is talking about but have gathered that active is not the way to go with those puppys. Plan on running 4 6 1/2" subs(JL 6w0's or possibly ED eu-700's, room permitting)firing forward under the rear seat for midbass(60-~200 Hz). There's room to build a nice enclosure out of one of the storage compartments. Guess the question is what tweets and what mid range drivers for up front? I'm looking to do a very stealthy install(no pods or kicks) so 5 1/4" midrange drivers would be best, but 6 1/2's could be done if necessary. I've got my old set of MB Quart Q's, but the drivers are about used up and the tweets are a bit harsh.

Any suggestions? I've got between $700-$1000 budgeted for my front stage.

Oh and if you guys are new or don't remember me, here's my old Explorer install:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/846007

-Dwight

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 980
fishy i wanna know more about that 6wo idea....c i wanted to do the same thing in my car....ima pm u 1day just dont have time to do it yet..or realy much info to ask/trade between us

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1558
6w0's don't do well IB. Sounded pretty darn good in my old ride in sealed enclosures although they defintely could have used some EQing. If your looking for infinite baffle applications look elsewhere for midbass, but for small enclosures I think the 6w0's are good, just don't expect them to play well above 200 Hz.

The main reason I'm leaning toward the 6w0's for my new install is for long trips where cargo space is at a premium. I'm not wanting to haul around a space hogging sub box and want something that will double well as a subwoofer in .18 cf. There's a ton of other(cheaper) 6 1/2's out there that would probably work better as midbass drivers, but none that will play as low in that little of airspace when the highpass filter is removed.

Who knows. I may forgo the 6w0 idea this time around, maybe go with some cheaper "dedicated" midbass drivers, and then drop some cash on a 10w3 stealthbox for cross country trips. I was just likin the idea of a "trick" enclosure underneath the rear cargo area and I already have a pair of 6w0's to play with.

-Dwight

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1049
The one and only !

http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/index.cfm?page=productList&type=29&line=2&m odel=

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1050
Wrong link.

I meant the 7" component set with 1" tweeter.

Here is one on ebay.

I heard these up against MB and a few others at Magnolia HiFi. Diamond Audio spanked em all by a long shot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D971-D9-6-5-7-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SET-NEW_W0QQit emZ260001660335QQihZ016QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1051
How bout Scan Speak:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=5846004.1176&pid=1917

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 985
well realy my reason for a sub up front is to bring bass well upfront...those 15's drown out ervything in my car....n if i dont wan 2 15 bumpin i can switch to 2 8's......i was lookin at polks or sumthin n sum polk comps.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us