Alternator Question

Bronze Member
Username: Nikoncd

Post Number: 48
When is it important to get a new alternator... like how big of an amp (generally) do you think warrants a new alt. I can't find the HOT rating on my stock mazda3. My friend just threw a deal at me on an Arc Audio 1500XXK, but I see it draws alot of power and is an A/B class amp - would I probably need a new alt even if I didn't push the amp - prolly just a 400-500watt load?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1864
if u were were doin a 400-500 watt load, you wouldnt need one. if u light are dimmin bad, then yes u might need one. i dont know the stock ratin on ur mazda. is that a 2004/05? its proly around 100 amps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
yeah its an 05... so 100amps should be a number fairly close you think? hmm, well yeah I guess if my lights start dimming its a signal. Eh I was hoping I could just use stock until I would have more money, but I guess it would hurt my battery to continue if my lights were dimming.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1868
for newer cars 100 amps is usually where they put in their alt because of all the accessories and stuff. you wont need one if u will be runnin 4-500 watts.

dont u have a manual? it should maybe say it in there... or call the dealership!! they will know

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
more research... sad results. part of an MZ3 forum, and found out that it is impossible to replace the alternator, and only a solution is to upgrade to optima batteries, upgrade big 3, a cap (more of a band-aid), and then of course a second alternator. They mentioned it was rated at 90 amps, so thats disheartening too... I wish I had known this before getting the car, but obviously at the time I wasn't think about my future car stereo. Hopefully as you mentioned, with me drawing only 500 watts, I should be fine with amp of that size. I saw that someone else here on the forum was interested on getting an MZ3, hopefully he'll read this although the car is a dream and it probaly still wouldn't have effected my decision.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 136
it will definately be fine with only 500 watts. Right now im running 1600 watts with my stock alt. You dont really need a new alternator unless your running over 1000 watts and even then you might not need one like me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
wow, thats great to know rick! I'll prolly hit up one of those batteries though, no harm. But great to hear your able to run 1600 with a stock alt! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 853
connect all the stuffs and see how it goes

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1911
yea. i'm runnin 800 with 60 amp alt. do i rock to?? lol

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 948
Try talking to excessive, another alt company, or a local alt/starter shop and see if they can keep your existing casing and just rebuild it for higher amperage.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8245
take a read Chauncey Drinion

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us