Recommend Amp for Infinity Reference Series 12"

Bronze Member
Username: Elexpert

Post Number: 16
I have two infinity reference series 12" speakers. It says their peak is at 1232W, but I know that has to be bullsh*it. So I figure I'll put 600w through each of them. Does anyone have some good reccomendations for an amp that would fit my situation?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I have 300w going through each of them, but it doesn't seem like it's enough. I don't know how much voltage I should put through them, but any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous

They're 300W continuous, 1200 peak. The 300W continuous is what your focus should be, although Infinity underrates them a tad. In my opinion, the perfect amp would be a JBL 600.1. It's cheap, well made, and a perfect match for the power of the subs, and trust me, if you've got them in the recommended box, that box and those subs will slam.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Well I have a Crossfire VR602 which puts 300W through each of em. Atleast that's what it should. Those dual voice coil speakers mess me up. If I hook all 4 4-ohm voice coils up in parallel it makes it 1-ohm. But if I hook each of the speakers up in parallel seperately it takes it to 2 ohms. My Crossfire is only 2-ohm stable. How much could the box I have it in affect the sound? I read that it effects it a lot but I don't know. It recommends a bandpass box, maybe I should just build one and listen to how it sounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Any other amp reccomendations are welcome.....hehe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
cmon Glasswolf hehe

Bronze Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 96
JBL BP600.1
Kicker kx600.1

These companies all make good amps

-MTX
-JBL
-Kicker
-Memphis (more expensive, but you could find a deal on one)
-JL (more expensive)
-Eclipse (more expensive)

Anonymous

I forgot those were DVC. Okay, if you hook the coils of each sub in series, then run each to the amp, it creates a 4 ohm load. If they're in parallel, they make a 1 ohm load. You can look on JLaudio.com for wiring diagrams. The JBL 600.1 is 1 ohm stable, puts out the same at 1 ohm as 2 ohms, 600W continuous (that's underrated, they rate their amps at 12.5VDC) Other good amps would be a MTX 801D (It puts out more than 300W per channel, but the gains can control the extra power), If you're looking to spend money, a JL 500/1 would push them hard and give a lot of adjustability. The box is more important than the subs in most cases. I wouldn't do bandpass, Infinity recommends sealed or ported, for a reason. The size of the box and quality make the difference. They determine how the pressure of the box controls the cone. The stiffness of the suspension and cone determine the box that has to be used. You can read up on it, just follow Infinity's recommendations, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
thinkin about jl500/1. It's expensive, but I'll have to save and get it as long as it's not too much power for my 12's and I don't know if they can handle 1 ohm. I had them hooked up at 1 ohm even though my amp doesn't support it. I was just seeing how it worked. There wasn't enough power though cuz the amp kept cutting off when it hit hard. So I took it down to 2 ohms and its working good now.

Username: Peteucsb

Post Number: 2
Hey everyone,
Getting one 12' sub for gf's eclipse, been looking at infinity kappa perfects or alpine type R, price says Type R ; i like the 96 db sensitivity of the perfects but concerned with the small frequency range (18-150Hz) Will this affect the SQ? Will it still allow for all types of music to sound clean and crisp? Type R frequency range is (24-1000Hz)... Also what type of amp should I buy to power the one 12' and infinity kappa 693.5i? Could I power them with one good amp...would this be cheaper???
Thanks everyone!!!!

Anonymous

Jl's are stable to 1.5 ohm (their W7's are 3 ohm single voice coil, two make a 1.5 ohm load.) They may can handle a 1 ohm load, but I'd rather get one I know handles it. I know the JBL 600.1 handles it, the Kickers that say it do well. I wouldn't spend over $500 on an amp I'm unsure about.

Anonymous

Ryan you cant wire 2 4 ohm DVC subs to 2 ohms. either 4 ohms or 1 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yea you can. To wire it in 2 ohms you take one Voice coil on a speaker put it in series. Do the same with one of the voice coils on the other speaker. Then hook the rest up in parallel. It's Ohms law man

Joe W
Unregistered guest
The 1200 watt rating on the Reference 12's in no b.s. Infinity makes quality sh*t. Out of all the amps heard running the infinity's, JBL is the best. Even the 180.2 will beat the crap out of then and you can pick one up for about 100 bucks. JBL and Infinity are the way to go

Unregistered guest
Hey ya

Im looking at getting 2 infinity reference 1230's (the single coil ones) to run off an audiobank ab45n amp. its 1200w 4 ch (300rms total), but that goes up a bit when its bridged, i think. Does anyone know how it will sound if i bridge 2 channels per sub (so i'll be using the whole amp jus 4 the subs) and then get another amp for my other spk's? im on a bit of a budget tho coz i stay in South Africa and the rand/dollar thing kinda hurts my pocket... will the subs be getting enough power coz at the moment im running a dvc sub (wired in paralell) off 2 channels bridged, & 6x9's off the other 2 ch, and the sub doesnt sound great at all.

Anonymous

why can't anyone read at the top of these post on the main page it SAYS ( START A NEW THREAD ) Richard what part of this do you not understand don't post in other people's post. start your own.

Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surry England

Post Number: 7
rich.. (ignore anon) i use the same subs that your thinking of getting, i dont know the amp that you want them to run off but it sounds weak, the infinity subs are 1200w max, 300w RMS EACH so you'd be better off using a mono amp, somthing like a JBL 600.1 or a kicker equivelent

Unregistered guest
I have two 1220w subs and i think they sound great.I had a 401s Rockford bridged and they would set off car alarms.I have three questions,
1)What is the best box for them size and all?
2)What do yall think of the new infinity amps at infinitysystems.com.
3)Does anyone know where else i can obtain infinity amps.
I need help on this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us