FM/AM Poor Reception on newly installed Alpine 9833

Blue Benz
Unregistered guest
Reception is horrible. Many stations that were clear on the factory radio now have static. Shop put in an antenna booster and made it only slightly better (and cost me $50).

If the radio is in "LOCAL" mode, it will not lock on any station when you hit search! You have to change to "DX" (Distance mode).

Vehicle is Mercedes C320. Thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2679
sounds like the antenna isn't even connected.
try using an antenna just plugged directly into the alpine, and not connected to the fender etc.. just holding it.
that should be a test of the antenna itself.

alpines have very good tuners.. you shouldn't have this problem.
there's a very slight chance you just got a unit with a bad tuner as well, and yould suggest replacement.

if the Mercedes has a power antenna, be SURE it's extending properly when the tuner is turned on.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2681
sounds like the antenna isn't even connected.
try using an antenna just plugged directly into the alpine, and not connected to the fender etc.. just holding it.
that should be a test of the antenna itself.

alpines have very good tuners.. you shouldn't have this problem.
there's a very slight chance you just got a unit with a bad tuner as well, and yould suggest replacement.

if the Mercedes has a power antenna, be SURE it's extending properly when the tuner is turned on.

Anonymous

Having the same issue here. I'm taking the car back to the installer and having them take a look. Hopefully it is just a disconnected antenna and not a bad HU.

Will post if later.

Username: B0gus2004

Post Number: 1
Just got back from the installer. He says that everything is connected correctly. He wants me to bring it back when later when he has more time to look at it.

My Car: 2004 Subaru Impreza TS (antenna is in the rear window)
HU: Alpine 9831

Username: Wolfdog22us

Post Number: 7
That happens ocasionaly when installing a New Reciever. When buying a new Reciever, always look at the FM sensitivity (usually 9.3 bfr). Clarion usually has an FM Sensitivity of 11 bfr. Find out what your sensitivity rating is.

Bo Gus2004
Unregistered guest
The problem was that the installer did not connect the powered antenna, he "forgot". Which translates into I didn't know how. I had to bring him coloured photos of the proper installation and he corrected the problem in five minutes.

Hope everyone else is having luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us