HU in boat

Username: Wingback

Geneseo, IL US

Post Number: 6
This is a thread from the accessories page I posted a little bit ago, but I am thinking it is now more of a HU issue (see BOAT CHARGING SYSTEM). Its more or less that the head unit shuts off what seems like randomly when the boat is running. Normally running at 3000rpm so the alt is putting out its rated. The head unit shuts and then turns back on. What I don't get is why the system doesn't then just pull off the battery right away. The battery has a charge when this happens, and I know this because when the boat is off the systems runs great. It is only when running it becomes an issue. Is it that the alternator is too small to keep up with the amps in the boat, or is it the Stinger Relay causing an issue? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3190
How many amps do you have and what power ratings are they? Any model numbers would be great too.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3191
I just saw the charging system thread, and Optidriven gave some great advice. I would still like to know what the model number and brand of the head unit are.

Geneseo, IL US

Post Number: 7
Well my question is why does the system work when its running directly off the battery, but once the alt gets involved the systems falters here and there. The HU is Kenwood Excellon (not sure which model can find out later tonight) pretty sure it was last years model though, cost $400ish off of Crutchfield.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3194
When you run the system off the alt, do you always do so after you have run the batteries down by a considerable amount?

Geneseo, IL US

Post Number: 8
not horribly, I mean they are some what lower, but could definately be run off the battery for another hour or so before going dead. I'm thinking that it almost has to be a short or poor connection somewhere with the wires and butt connectors I'm using, but ive checked those out pretty well and all seems to be good. Would it be worth trying a different connection method?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3199
Did you ever try hooking up an isolater between the batteries?

Username: Wingback2

Post Number: 7
Yeah, a Stinger 200 amp relay, but that is just on the positive terminals...there isn't any sort of trick to the ground is there? Could part of the problem be this relay? The head unit is is on the main engine battery, while the amps I am using are on the second battery. Could part of the problem be that? Would it be better for the system to all be on the same battery? It was just a ton easier to hook the HU up to the original battery is the only reason I haven't done so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us