COUSTIC 401DB amp fries my subs in seconds!!

Bronze Member
Username: Themax99se

Post Number: 28
Bought this amp "untested" as is on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D9728998173%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT%26

Guess I was in the mood to take a risk. I've done research on these amps, they are suppose to be pretty good. They have the Triple Darlington techonology in them.

When the amp turns on and sends power to a subwoofer, the subwoofer pops out and becomes invertered as if someone pushed the cone out from the inside. The middle of the subs heats up real quickly, within 10 seconds it will become real hot.

I tested out with a sub that was already going bad but still produced sound. Within about 10 seconds it burnt the sub up, it started smoking!

Whats wrong with this amp? Is it worth the repair?

Thank much.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 794
check the polarity and by the way, coustic makes nice little amps

Bronze Member
Username: Themax99se

Post Number: 29
Yeah, a couple of thier lines seem to be pretty good. I'm pretty sure the polarity was fine. Either way, would that have cuased the overheating?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1252
Straight DC dude! The fets aren't switching needs repair, sorry..Polo..

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3370
yepp, bad output transistors.. like Polo said..
I wouldnt use that amp on any sub, I plan on keeping.
:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Bassheadjosh

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 57
I have the same problem with my mtx 6500d...coustic is actually owned by mtx and yes their amps are pretty good. I called mtx and they said they wanted $95 to fix and then ship the amp back to me.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 802
toss it away and go to www.onlinecarstereo.com and buy a new one if you want. You'll get free shipping and a 1 year warranty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us