Single sub better than 2 12" Alum Q's...

Bronze Member
Username: Bassheadjosh

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 48
I'm looking for a new sub...I want a single 12" that will totally own my 2 12" AlumQs in both sq and spl. I'm trying to keep my total price under $300 for the sub, I have a Team RF X6 amp being fixed right now for power. I was thinking of either Crystal CMPX2 or the Eclipse TI9012. Or anything else...not picky on brand names, I just want an amazingly powerful and clean sub, preferably with a little higher end extension as I'm only running 4" speaks for my mains right now. I need a sub that will be wired at 2 ohms and will take around 1000 rms.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1078
try a 15" treo tsx(dual 4 ohm)might be a bit over 300

or get the 12" treo tsx(dual 4 ohm) for 269(at least at my dealer)

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 49
Can't fit 15's....my trunk is waaayyy to shallow. The box I have in there right now is 15" tall and it barely fits...I'm lookin at about 30" wide by 15" tall by 18" deep for the box...thats all I have room for...it comes out to about 4 cu ft internal before port/sub displacement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1080
get the 12" treo tsx...it can handle tht kinda power...trust me im givin my 12" treo tsx 1200......and falls into ur price range....if u wanna fit a 15" build a different box.....

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 50
I have a false floor that I already built for the box I have in there now, so I cant to stick with the same box dimensions...I will be building a new box, just with the same external dimensions. The fact that the box is 15" tall and hits my back deck is what is stopping me from doing a 15". How does your tsx compare to the alpine r type? I had one of those in my trunk and it was good, but like I said I'm looking for louder than that.

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 51
Oh yeah...the false floor doesn't go under the box, it goes around it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
the typer's can get loud in the right enclosure....but since u cant change ur enclosure i would go for the tsx becuz it is sql oriented while the type r is sq oriented.....so in short type r sound nice get loud,,,the tsx gets louder while maintaing sq but not as good as the type r

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 52
Well I can tune my enclosure to whatever I want, as long as the external dimensions stay the same. I mean, I have a huge face on the front of the box and will have at the very least 3.5 cu ft after sub/port displacement which is more than enough for almost any 12" sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 1084
u sayu can tune ur enclosure to wut ever u want???????do u have interchangeable ports????//
but i like the treo tsx over the type r in loudness

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 53
NO genious lol. I'm building a new box for whatever sub I do buy, thus when I build the box I can tune it to whatever I want...and I probably will build it with interchangeable ports so I can go from sq to spl tuning. I'm thinking about 28 hz for sq and 55 for spl.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1086
sounds good to me......i never new i wuz a genioius thnx......as for 55hz thts a bit high....IMO i would only get up to 48 hz.....

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 913
You should try to determine the Resonance Frequency of you vehicle. Do this with a SPL meter and a sine sweep/test tones. All windows up(legal)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1087
u work for circuit city????
how are the discounts???

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 54
THe discounts used to be awesome...before I worked here that is. I can get some stuff through our manufacturers with good discounts-kicker, eclipse, mtx....but I'm not sure which I want lol. I was going to go with 2 12" cvx's, but I want one 12" where people will just be blown away by the sound/power from it...maybe I will go with the 12" eclipse Ti...I don't think that the tsx would be enough for me..although I could be worng I dunno...

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 55
THe discounts used to be awesome...before I worked here that is. I can get some stuff through our manufacturers with good discounts-kicker, eclipse, mtx....but I'm not sure which I want lol. I was going to go with 2 12" cvx's, but I want one 12" where people will just be blown away by the sound/power from it...maybe I will go with the 12" eclipse Ti...I don't think that the tsx would be enough for me..although I could be wrong I dunno...

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 56
THe discounts used to be awesome...before I worked here that is. I can get some stuff through our manufacturers with good discounts-kicker, eclipse, mtx....but I'm not sure which I want lol. I was going to go with 2 12" cvx's, but I want one 12" where people will just be blown away by the sound/power from it...maybe I will go with the 12" eclipse Ti...I don't think that the tsx would be enough for me..although I could be wrong I dunno

Gold Member

Post Number: 1094
how much u plannin on runnin???power wise?

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 58
ok, well the compy told me that the post wasnt going through...sorry about the triple post. does that happen a lot when their servers crash?

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 59
well like I said I'm getting my X6 fixed, and if I remember correctly it pushed just over 1000 rms at 2 ohms. which I know isn't a ton of power, but that's what I'm lookin at for now...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1098
then the tsx will get the job dun im giving my tsx 1200 at 2 ohms....but hey if u want spl get a orion h2 or l7 they are cheap and can handle tht power.....

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 60
I want sql...I can get the L7's cheap...but if I'm gunna go that route I'll just get two cvx's to keep a lil sq and call it a day...if I had some mad cash I would be all over the diamond D9's...I love those subs. can't find 'em anywhere cheaper than $370

Gold Member

Post Number: 1100
u could go for sum RE's...on ebay
or digital designs........on ebay
or treo's ssi.............on ebay
or sum jl's...............on ebay

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 61
I've heard that the orion h2 is one of the most inefficient beasts on the market so I think I'll skip that...I need to sell my collection of subs that I have right now too....lets see, I have 3 brand new in boxes AlumQ 12", an old school type r 1221, and 3 10" planet audio subs that I'm running right now...very clean subs, decent lows, great upper end extension...very far from being loud enough for me...granted they hit upper 130s, but we all know that's not enough :-) I also have a bazooka el2150 amp that I'm trying to sell with my 3 10's and the box. I would be extremely happy to get rid of all of it for around $650 or so...ended up gatherin this stuff through the years and its time to get rid of what I don't want/need...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1101
so why is it u wasted ur money on those audiobahns?????????u couldve at least used them.....even tho they will sound horrible..upper 130s???get it meterd????are those tens in a sealed box?????

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 62
lol. I bought the audiobahns last year and just never got around to using them...that was way before I joined this forum, I sold audiobahn subs for a while at circuit and they were decent...now I read around 45 reviews on the alumq's of people saying they liked them before I bought them, which is what encouraged me to buy them. as far as the 10's...they are in a single chamber ported box, they peak out just over 40hz...I actually didn't get it metered so you got me there...but I've been to enough shows and sat in enough cars to know that it is very close to 140...which is actually a breeze to do...I saw a guy with a $300 audiobahn/hifonics system do that in a cherokee on a tl in a sealed box no problem. so to say that I'm in upper 130s is easy. the box dimensions that I listed are for the 3 10" box, it comes in at 4 cubes before port and driver displacement. Looked at the jl's...actually tried to buy some of those spl remakes of the old W6 but my ordered got cancelled from the store because they didn't have any left. dd's would be sweet but I don't know much about them...which series to use for an sql box, etc...also don't know alot about the treo's...though you sound quite happy with yours. have you had yours metered or can you give me a rough estimate of your spl?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1102
lol...aaudiobahn-300 dollars-140dbs on a term lab isnt believe able to me....were wuz the mic???

but yea i see y u think ur hittin upper 130's with a box tuned to 40hz...

as for my treo im not gettin it metered until i get my whole install complete but if ur look to hit in the upper 130..with a single 12" and 1000watts good luck to u.......

i would still reccomend saving ur money and buying sumthing u want.....u mentioned the D9....y not save up ur money to get one of those...u sed ur budget wuz 300...save up 70 more dollars and buy it....dont just settle for nething

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 63
mic was on the dash, windows up, no one in the car. it was a flea market special so thats how he got it so cheap...but yeah maybe I will save up for the d9. then again if I can just sell all my equipment I won't have to..anyways, thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1104
LOL...no problem i dont think we accomplished ne thing this whole time...how funny

Bronze Member
Username: Davidalexander

Graham, Texas Us

Post Number: 30
im interested what is you email adress i might buy some of your stuff

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 64
you can email me at jdogistheish@juno.com or pm me

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1212
a single 12 with 1000 watts, is not unbelievable at all. Assuming it's a nice big ported box, a good sub (W7's for example) and ESPECIALLY if it's in a hatchback.. (CRX, Camaro, Firebird, etc)

Bronze Member

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 65
I just got a call from the place who was fixing my amp and they say they can't do it...RF wants over $330 which is insane...I live in Utica, MI...anyone know of a place who can fix an amp around here? It only has a few fried mosfets, but I was told that they are special order and can only be gotten through RF.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us