Alt question?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1116
hey i dont want to replace my alt because i dont know how much hp im gonna lose plus i dont have too much money for the alt. so i have a red top and i have other batterie then i have two amps one is 2k rms i did the big three and the light dim a lil at full volume i think my alt is 130amps and like i said my amp do not make my car light dims too much is stable but it dont put alot of power because of the current received to the amp so can i put 2 batteries and two amps on my stock alt with the big 3???

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4151
upgrading the big 3 and adding a second battery isn't going to create more power from your alt. in fact you would be putting more strain on your stock alt cause it needs to charge that extra battery.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1117
ummm ok thanks chad the thing is that i need more current but i dont want to lose 6 hp from my engine plus i dont have that money now

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1202
the amount of hp you lose isnt necessarily like a set amount.. sometimes you wont lose any noticeable hp.

If you want more current, you have to make the decision on which you want more. Gotta remember - the extra weight from your system also causes a loss in hp.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1745
its not very big. most of the time like 1-3 HP. baaically nothin

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1746
basically**

Username: Cogdillb

Spearman, TX United State...

Post Number: 6
you arent going to notice a 6 horsepower loss in normal driving.

Username: Cogdillb

Spearman, TX United State...

Post Number: 7
More weight doesnt affect Horsepower. It just affects How much your engine has to "Work" to get your car moving. For Example a 3500 Lb. Car has to "Work"Harder than the same car (Engine,Etc...) with a 100 Lbs. worth of stereo equipment. It Affects your cars Horsepower/weight Ratio.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3224
Recently I've been seeing some cars that use 8 and 10 gauge wiring for the alt to battery!! The big three will help if the existing wiring is too small to handle the output of the alt or if the existing wiring is falling apart.

Also, the benefits of a HO alt, in my opinion, are completely worth the 1-3 hp you'd be losing like bassman said.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1211
Brandon, true. But added weight is very similar to a loss in horsepower.. I think it's something like adding 25lbs is the *equivalent* of losing 1hp, or something in that neighborhood.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us