Subwoofer Temp.

Bronze Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 27
During the hot days of summer when my SUV is just sitting in the driveway,my subwoofers are exposed to sunlight and heat. I keep the windows down as often as I can to create some ventilation in my SUV so it wont get so hot in there.

How hot could a subwoofer get before it starts to have problems or take damage? Is there any way to prevent them from getting to hot, like put a big towel over them or something?

Bronze Member
Username: Runit3

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 26
It depends on the material that they are made of, mainly the caps and foam surrounds. The inner workings of the subs I assume are in a box, and you don't really need to worry about the inside. I had my 2 12"s in the back of my black tahoe for an entire summer and didn't have to worry about the subs (only the amp). If you have sh*t poly-faced plasticy subs they might be able to warp but generally paper-type material won't get screwed up on you. I would worry more about your amp than your subs if they are of decent quality material, especially if you plan on hopping in your 120deg.+ car and then blasting your system down the block.

Bronze Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 28
Ya, my amplifier does get pretty hot at times and when that happens ill open up the windows and speed down the street at about 70 mph to get a lot of air back there to cool it off and then start playing music. Works nicely.

What would be a way to keep your amplifier cooler? Would tinting my windows darker help keep out some of the heat?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3810
yes. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1238
Last year my amps got sooo hot while sitting in my work parking lot (black GP) that they went into thermal protection the second I turned them on! Thought I fcked something up and also found out the stock Bose amp has one too, lol. Polo. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us