Crutchfield is against you!!

Silver Member
Username: Aman2005

Post Number: 203
Hello buddies, Recently, fed up with the different views of all of you experienced members regarding upgrade of car's electric system, I contacted the techs of crutchfield.com and asked about my query. The reply I got from them was that there is no need of changing or upgrading your car's alternator till you notice a dimming effect of lights. If there is no dimming, no need of upgrading.

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 271
well how many watts are you thinking about/ or are running??

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
i'll be running 1500 wrms, hifonics brutus 1500d

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
for my two 10" type R dvc 4 ohm

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 375
yes get a new alternator, you can easily fry your alternator or your cars computer....
i run 1100 watt on a stock alternator and my lights dim severly and i dont expect it will last long... also you are probably clipping your subs

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 272
i sure would be getting an HO alt if i was running anything more than about 1200, but im sure you dont HAVE to have it, itd sure be nice tho

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 864
don't listen to them, you need to upgrade. they're probably only saying that cause if they think you might be a customer and find out you need to upgrade your alt. to run your system and don't have the money to that it might scare you from getting a system, therefor them maybe losing a customer. there just looking out for themselves. you go to most any car audio store, even a bestbuy or circuit city, they'll say the same thing. they just want to make money, they don't care about your system or car, they want the sale.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1045
i wuz running 1200 watts on my stock alternator and my headlights were dimming so i bought a HO alternator...tht why i believe ne thing over a thousand watts requires a ho alt

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
are the alt universal? i mean can they be fitted in any car? if so, is there anyone who can make one for me and send that to India? I m unable to locate a HO alt here in india.

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 195
damn bro, india is a long ways away n' no alts r not universal u have to have 1 specially made for ur vehicle... wat kind of car do u have?

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 865
no there not universal. here's a couple sites i can think of, your going to have to email them with your vehicle info to get a estimate on an alt. and to see if they ship to india.

http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

http://www.ohiogen.com/

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 191
I don't think it's absolutely essential that you upgrade your alt just because you're over 1000 watts. I definately think it's a good idea, and if you don't, you should at least have the money handy because you'll fry your stock one a lot quicker. But I'm running about 1400 rms total in my civic, and it's only got a 70 amp alternator. The lights will dim, but only when I've got it turned up to a pretty uncomfortable level. If you've got a fairly efficient box and don't need a lot of power to start making noise, and aren't one of those douchebags who drives around listening to test tones trying to impress girls, you can probably get away with it. And yeah guys, I know my alt is too small, I'll upgrade it eventually.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us