Mono Amp RMS

Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Hey, I was going to purchase a MTX Audio Thunder 421D to power two TS-W301R's that I own. When hooked up, it will be powering my subwoofers at 300 Watts RMS @2 Ohms. Is each subwoofer going to be getting 150 Watts RMS or something lower? If you think I should purchase a different amplifier to power my TS-W301R's, please let me know but, I'd like the amplifier to be from MTX since im going with a theme of Pioneer and MTX in my SUV.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1037
Your subs handle up to 150 watts RMS each, so 300 watts RMS total.

MTX Audio Thunder 421D puts out 420 watts RMS at 2 ohms when bridged.

So,

You must wire your subs in parallel to get them to have a combined resistence of 2 ohms.

You actually only need like 345-360 watts to power those subs, and that would give you 15-20% headroom.

420 watts RMS is more than enough.

You may want to look for a 350 watt RMS at 2 ohms mono amp to be on the safe side, but if you have self control and keep the volume down you will be fine.

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks, and no, im not one of those people who crank up their system as loud as it goes. I just go for good quality sound. I don't care if people can hear me comming from half a mile away. I don't do too much driving anyway.

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 6
I was doing some research on some MTX amps and I came across this one, the MTX Thunder 250D. Would this amp be a better pick over the MTX Thunder 421D?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2368
actually i think a JL 250/1 would be great for them

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1664
lol. "You actually only need like 345-360 watts to power those subs" there is not an audible diff even between 15 watts

it can be anywhere from 300-450 is more likely

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 8
I do like that JL 250/1 but, that's kindof out of my price range and im trying to find a new job at the time unless you know somewhere where I can get it cheaper? I'd like to spend no more than $200 on a good quality amplifier that wont burn out after awhile...

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1681
how bout a audiobahn a4002t?

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 10
Not a bad amp and it is cheaper than the MTX 421D...I don't know, i'll have to think about it...If you had two TS-W301R's, what would you power them with if you had a $200 spending limit?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1682
well, if you had two of them that would be a total of 300 rms. thats why i would go with the a4002t, if you had 2 DVC 4 ohm subs wired to 4 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1044
Bassman,

"there is not an audible diff even between 15 watts

it can be anywhere from 300-450 is more likely"

My advice of having 15-20% headroom has nothing to do with volume or loudness. It has to do with POWER.

Those subs handle 300 watts RMS as a combined total. Headroom would be extra power above that, so the amp doesnt have to work to its fullest to run those subs at full RMS.

Its kind a like this;

At 15-20% of headroom, your gains do not have to be adjusted, and/or the sub volume if any.

But,

If you have a 450 watt RMS amp, and you run those 300 watt RMS subs with it, you will overpower them too early, since your mids and highs wuld not reach full blast or optimum levels yet, because they are all controlled by one master volume.

I am saying this because this would be simpler, than playing with the faders as a volume control. Idealy you would run everything off of one amp (3 way). But since this is a 2.1 setup you have multi-amps.

Joe,

Please do not run your subs at 450 watts RMS. YOU WILL BLOW THEM FOR SURE !!!

Bronze Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 12
lol, ok ok, I wont get the 421D...I'll just stick with that audiobahn. I don't think anyone has answered one of my questions at the top, but when you make a mono amp power two subwoofer, what would its RMS become?

For Example: Lets say we have a amp that has 150 Watt RMS @4 Ohms and 300 Watt RMS @2 Ohms. Now we connect two subwoofers to this amplifier at 2Ohms. Will each subwoofer get 150 Watts from the amplifier or will they get some other wattage?

Bronze Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 13
Ok, I was reading up on the Audiobahn A4002T and it's got 100 RMS @4 Ohms and 200 Watts @2 Ohms which is a good thing but, my problem with this is that each subwoofer has it's own 1.5 cu ft enclosure, so how would I wire this to make a parallel 2 Ohms circiut?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1686
"For Example: Lets say we have a amp that has 150 Watt RMS @4 Ohms and 300 Watt RMS @2 Ohms. Now we connect two subwoofers to this amplifier at 2Ohms. Will each subwoofer get 150 Watts from the amplifier or will they get some other wattage?"

yes, each sub will get around 150 rms.

a4002t:

# power : 100 x 2 @ 4 ohms
# Power 200 x 2 @ 2 ohms

# Bridged power x channels (4 ohms) : 400 x 1

you would want to run those sub @ 4 ohms bridged since they are each 150 rms. @ 2 ohms you will be giving each sub like 100 rms. @ 4 ohm bridged u will be giving them 200 each. A GOOD MATCH

Bronze Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 15
Ok, so I bridge the a4002t which will be 400 RMS, then split that to each subwoofer so each one will be getting 200 RMS?

If the amplifier was running @2 Ohms, why would each subwoofer be getting 100 Watts RMS? Above you put that @2 Ohms its 200 x 2 so wouldn't each subwoofer be getting 200 instead of 100?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1701
yes, 200 rms (approx) to each sub

"If the amplifier was running @2 Ohms, why would each subwoofer be getting 100 Watts RMS? Above you put that @2 Ohms its 200 x 2 so wouldn't each subwoofer be getting 200 instead of 100?"

no, because with both of those 2 channel combined it does 200... so that means each channel does 100

200 x 2 means 200 watts total by 2 -channels.

now if you use the terminals marked "bridged" on ur amp, you just connect them there, and then wire the subs to 4 ohms (actually vis-versa)

Bronze Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 23
Oh, ok, thanks Bassman3
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us