Question about 2 & 4 ohm

Bronze Member
Username: Detroit_fan

Post Number: 12
i just purchased a jl audio 10w3v2-d2. it is dual 2 ohm voice coils. so does that mean it's 2 ohm or do the dual coils mean it's 4 ohm?
the amp i have alpine mrp-m450 which is 220w x 4 ohm and 400w x 2 ohm.so i did not know what setting on the amp to use. sorry for the stupid question but i'm not too good at this stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3030
dual 2ohm means that you can wire a single sub to either 1ohm or 4ohms.

parrallel wiring will give you 1ohm,
series will give you 4ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2389
it has dual voice coils, each one is 2 ohms. it can be wired in parallel for a 1 ohm load or in series for a 4 ohm load.

with the amp, do you mwan 220W @ 4 ohms and 400 @ 2 ohms?? if so, then there is nothing that needs to be changed on the amp, it changes its output according to the load it sees (how you wire the subs).

so matching that sub and amp together, you can't wire in parallel for a 1 ohm load, because the amp will not be stable. you can fry it by running that low of a load on the amp. so you will have to wire in series for a 4 ohm load and only get 220 watts from the amp.

but if you get a second W3v2-d2 then they can be wired together in series/parallel for a 2 ohm load and 400W.

Bronze Member
Username: Detroit_fan

Post Number: 13
yeah i meant 220W @ 4 ohms and 400 @ 2 ohms. it is in a stealthbox so i can only have 1. so basically i am gonna get 220w to that speaker correct? do you think that will sound ok, i believe it is rated 300w rms?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us