What do I set my HPF and LPF filters to?

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 184
I have an ED NINe.2x amp and a Premier 740mp head unit. I am having alot of trouble set the adjustments. Are there certain steps in setting the gain and filters? The amp has Gain, LPF, HPF, and a Xover switch which has a selection for HPF, LPF, and Full. The head unit also has HPF and an option for SFEQ. I have tried adjusting myself and I feel I'm making it worse. The dumb--*ss's at my local car audio shop had no idea how to properly tune my mids and highs so I'm looking to the experts here.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1584
uggg. there are so many of these threads.

lpf - 80
subsonic = wut pored box is tuned to
x-over - LP
HPF = 0

and gain = match voltage output of HU

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 185
uggg, sorry bassman. Ok, you covered the amp but what about the head unit with all its own filters and SFEQ.

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 186
Also, those settings are for the mid and high amp not the sub amp right?

Silver Member

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 187
Can anyone help me with my mid and high amp? I know this is a much talked about thread. But, they are all on sub amps.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3913
Paul, set your mid amp to HPF and set it to 12db @ 100-125hz

Set your sub amp to LPF at 12 or 24db @ 80hz

Set the HU and AMP to the same crossover points to match the amps or try only the HU and set the amps to pass and turn off there filters and just use the HU or vice versa.

Username: Aamir_aijaz

Lahore, Punjab Pakistan

Post Number: 1
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO RECORD CD MUSIC IN A BETTER WAY

Username: Aamir_aijaz

Lahore, Punjab Pakistan

Post Number: 2
I am using sony sound forge to convert mp3 songs to wav format. But the problem is i cant get the bass and treble to the desired levels. I use graphic EQ then Wave hammer and then normalize. Normalizing makes the bass go down or clips the signal. What should i do.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1249
subsonic = wut pored box is tuned to

I don't know why you guys are setting your SSF to your box tune, it will play well below its tune. The idea of a SSF filter is to protect a ported sub from recording errors (like crackle, skip or thump)because those are usually of a much higher output and lower frequency (below 20 hz) than the rest of the recording. I run mine down to 20hz with a slope of 48db/octave but not all amps can do this. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 429
ive always set my lpf to the woofers low hz cuz thats the lowest its sposed to go safely

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1251
LPF is controls how high the sub will go not the low. A HPF on a sub amp will control how low it goes and double as the SSF. A HPF allows everything above it to go through say for instance it was 25hz, your sub will see 25hz and above. Now the LPF will control how high your sub will actually go like say 80hz. You usually set the HPF with a steep slope say 24db/octave because you are trying to protect the sub from damage and a 12-18db/octave on the LPF because you want it to kinda "blend" in with your mids. The steeper the slope (db/octave) the less your sub will creep into the neighboring frequencies. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 405
Isnt having HPF off better period?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1253
If it is on a SUB amp with a ported box, no. Some amps have it listed as a SSF but serves the same purpose while others just don't have them at all.