Chauncey, Glass, Muddy, Seth

Bronze Member
Username: Justababyboy

Philly, PA

Post Number: 47
I couldn't think of a description for this problem, but I will begin with the set-up I have in my car.

In the front I have Infinity Reference 5/4 Components and in the back I have two Clarion 6x9 SR's....wired to a 500/5 JL Audio Amp....subwoofer Rockford Punch P2 12' in a ported box...with cap.

This clipping/or cutting off i am referring to happens like this...at various volumes the speakers get real low in volume and then come back on to its original volume level...this even happens when I hit bumps. The things is this is not a continued event, this happens every so often and then stops. I do not know if the system is clipping or what, my amp has a clipping light and it would of indicated that and also my amp is barely hot at all. Can someone please advise me on what to do about this? Are there wires loose? Maybe it is not properly grounded? I have no clue...plz help. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 911
loose ground, low voltage drops, maybe amp's protect mode. Could be some of those reasons.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 377
i would say probably look to the ground, making sure its big enough wire , and short enough length, and properly attached to exposed sheetmetal. so many problems can be traced back to an improper ground

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 369
do you have atleast 4 guage power wire?

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1179
Marty - also make sure your RCA's have a tight connection, as well as the wires going to your speakers are very securely connected, not just kind of dangling on there. Have you tried to reproduce this with a different amp to see if it still happens? Or even a buddies RCA's from his stereo to your amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 98
Maybe your HU is going out. do you have any speakers running directly from the HU amp? do they do it as well(if there are any)

Bronze Member

Philly, PA

Post Number: 48
First I regrounded the ground wire...second I just replaced all the rca's there are relatively new...yes I do have 4 gauge wire.....and nothing is running off of the head unit as i said earlier I have a JL 500/5 slash series....so my complete system is running off of that...actually i think the problem is I do not have my amp very secure....i really have no where to mount my amp....so i basically just mounted it on top of my sub box which is not that wide in width and have it fastened with 2 screws...its fastened by only 2 out of the 4 screws....so i am thinking when either the bass hits or i hit a bump the amp jumps and then causes this problem....what do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 103
Do you have wire terminals on each end of your power wires?(unless you have those types with an allen key for your amps terminal) also what gauge speaker wire are you running to your sub, i had a problem somwhat like this when my speaker wire was to small for the speaker... io actually melted the wire off the terminal on the inside of the box.... and that was only on a 1900watt amp...mayb 500rms going to 2' 10 Pioneer IMPP 250rms each... i was using like 18 gauge i think at that time...

Bronze Member

Philly, PA

Post Number: 49
Yes my power wire conenct to the amp via the terminal being fastened by allen key...and also I have 4 gauge wiring which should be enough...I really think its the way I have my amp sitting....which means I need to mount it some other way...the funny thing is since i posted this it hasnt been given me any problems now
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us