Alpine CDA-9856

Username: Wickyaaron

Post Number: 1
I just bought this head unit to run my system...I am running it with an Alpine 4-channel amp to drive 4 MB Quart Speakers and I have a Bazooka powered sub too. I can't figure out the frequency settings to make it sound clean throughout all styles of music. Does anyone have a good setting they are using with this for the bass and treble to avoid making my speakers sound like they are going to blow in some songs?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3126
Use the HPF (high pass filter) and set it to around 100Hz, then only frequencies of 100Hz and above will go to the MB quarts, and not the lows which will distort them easier and make it likely for them to get blown.

Post Number: 2
HPF on the head unit or the amp? I am a rookie at this stuff but I love loud, clean sound...which is why I am frustrated...
Thanks for the quick response...

Post Number: 3
I got it...on the amp...now what do you know about the seetings on the head unit? There is quite a bit of adjustment options for the frequency ranges on that too...

Thanks...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3128
Try using the HPF on the head unit as well, it will help quite a bit. If you have the bazooka hooked up to the sub output, the turn on the LPF on the headunit and set it to 100HZ, where all frequencies below that will be let through, but none above (theoretically).

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 258
If you set the HP on the amp, you don't need to set it on HU. How much power are you running to those MBQ's? And what MBQ's are those? In general, that metal dome wants very clean power, it does not hide anything.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1000
I have that same HU.

Set your Alpine amp HPF to 125 Hz or higher.

This will allow the 12dB crossover slope to start cutting at 125 Hz, so at 62.5 Hz it will be -12 dB. This may not be as safe, but it is better than no crossover at all.

I usually preffer 18 or 24 dB slopes as my bottom end slopes, but they can get pricey. Most amplifiers come with 12 dB crossover slopes anyways.

You may also start your Alpine amp 12 dB crossover knee at 175 Hz, so -12 dB will be at 87.5 Hz, which is definetly better, and -24 dB at 43.75 Hz.

Remember, when you start your knee, the butterworth slope usually has a slight increase before it starts to cut, so you will not lose much midbass DONT WORRY.

Next set your HU bass engine settings(page 13 in the English section);

Follow the directions on the right side of the page from the top and go to the bottom.

Make sure that the regular bass and trebble settings (on the right side of teh page) are flat or at 0.

DO NOT APPLY the BBE feature. That is Alpines loudness button. It should only be used at low volumes when bass and trebble are not even with the midrange.

I would set the bass frequency at 60 Hz wide (4). If you set the center bass frequency higher, your bass will become BOOMY and will over power the midbass. Setting it at 60 Hz wide will give you enough range to reach the midbass without getting annoying.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1001
Here s a site that you can play with the EQ to see how a crossover works.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/hearing.html

Use the orange graph in the middle of the page.

Start by clicking on the desired frequency for your knee at 0 dB, then click on the frequency sloping downwards half of the frequency value (one octave) going either 6 dB, 12 dB, 18 dB, or 24 dB.

For your scenario start with 125 Hz at 0 dB. Then click on 60 Hz at -12 dB. Then click on 30 Hz at -36 dB.

This is how your speaker will behave as the frequency goes lower.

Now click on 187 Hz at 0dB. Then click on 90 Hz at -12 dB. Then click on 45 Hz at -24 dB.

Username: Chunky_donuts06

Bealeton, Va Usa

Post Number: 1
i just bought this head unit and i cant figure out all the wiring from my car to the head unit i have all but one speaker hooked up and i have the ground and thats it the rest is a total blank for me (this isnt the first time ive installed ahead unit i had the schematics for the last one)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us