Electrical system... someone please explain

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 129
if someone could explain how I can get my voltage to stay more stable when I am stopped in drive and parked in idle that would help me alot. right now it drops to ~13~ in drive (like 500~ rpms or so) and it stays steady at 14.0 in park (unless I crank the system and drain it. I already have a HO alternator, and the big three. Just wondering if like a yellow top in the trunk would help stabalize the voltage during these times or not... or if anyone has any input on how to increase my voltage when I am in park and in drive stopped.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4072
where are your amps grounded to? is it grounded to the chasis? i have notice better current when you run a 0 gauge to the back from the neg of the battery. you can then use a ground distribution block so your amps are grounded straight to the battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
hey B, you said something about the same as chad in one of your posts, how much will this really help?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4076
well nate guess who told me to do it like that. yep B did.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4077
also i also called dom at iraggi alternators and he basically told me the same thing B did.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1170
<---Told B. :-P

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3152
yea, direct connection to ground terminal is best...
hey Seth did you end up running both Pos and Neg??
:-)

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1082
are you all sayin runnin another 17'ft of 0 wire to my negative batterie it will be better than 2'ft 0 gauge wirred to the chassis?????

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
yes, they are. It makes a complete something or other I think... or maybe im mumbling... explain it for us guys?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4084
"are you all sayin runnin another 17'ft of 0 wire to my negative batterie it will be better than 2'ft 0 gauge wirred to the chassis?????"

the battery is grounded to the chasis in the front and your amp is grounded to the chasis in the back. thats a long distance too.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 879
"are you all sayin runnin another 17'ft of 0 wire to my negative batterie it will be better than 2'ft 0 gauge wirred to the chassis?????"

Not IMO, but some people believe otherwise.
It depends on the car, and the tests you subscribe to.

I know of one person who's tested chassis resistance that says the average car is equivalent to 4 ga.

I know of 3 or 4 sources that say the average is 1/0-4/0.

Logic says 1/0-4/0 would be accepted.

The problem is the guy whose tests resulted in 4 ga equivalent is an executive at JL audio.

When it comes down to it I don't think you'd get any measurable benefit from running a 1/0 to the battery, but if you do it - let us know what happens.

And FWIW - a 1v fluctuation in D/idle is about normal. The engine's bogged down a little bit - alt's not turning quite as fast - less current, therefore less voltage.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 881
staying at 13v+ at idle would be a goal for a lot of people - not a problem.

With my old 75A alt I idled at 11.5-12v. I didn't get to 13+ until 2k rpm or so.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3210
chasis being 4ga sounds about correct.

the chasis is only as good as it is grounded up front.. so if you have 8-4ga grounding the chasis up front under the hood, then thats the bottle neck right there, and therefor your entire chasis is 8-4ga...

diffrent in each individual car yes.. bigger wires than 4ga grounded the chasis under the hood. HIGHLY doubt it!

Personally I wouldnt go on what people claimed to have tested. I would just run my own wires, or do my own test. Most likely you will end up running your own wire.

with a HO alternator, its makes a significant difference to ground all Negatives.. Remember current flows negative in DC!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us